Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Ehliz, Yasin 1 0.27%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Foo, Spencer 46 12.53%
Gawdin, Glenn 0 0%
Gillies, Jon 4 1.09%
Healey, Josh 0 0%
Joly, D'Artagnan 0 0%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 4 1.09%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Kylington, Oliver 61 16.62%
Lindstrom, Linus 0 0%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mangiapane, Andrew 114 31.06%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Parsons, Tyler 134 36.51%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 0 0%
Phillips, Matthew 3 0.82%
Pollock, Brett 0 0%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 0 0%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 0 0%
Sveningsson, Fililp 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 0 0%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #81
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I think the pool is good but not great. Prospects tend to get over-valued based on potential. Statistically, most of these guys will not be NHL regulars and the one's that are will not be impact players. I think the only guys that have the opportunity to become impact players are Valimaki, Parsons, Dube, Kylington and maybe Gillies (goalies are weird and sometimes take 10 years to find their game). Of those five, it's likely only 1 will be an impact player. We may get lucky and see more than that but it's unlikely.
Better to have a prospect pool that you can consider a lot have potential to become full time NHLers, even though most won’t, than have a prospect pool full of players you can be sure most wont Edmonton.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #82
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Mangiapane for me. It was close between him and Parsons. Arrival time to be NHL ready was the kicker for me.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #83
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
They are both good young goalies. How hard they push themselves and how they develop is anyones guess.

But Gillies doesn’t have the raw talent Parsons does.
Forgotten highlights for Gillies:

2012-2013
NCAA (East) Second All-American Team
NCAA (Hockey East) All-Rookie Team
NCAA (Hockey East) First All-Star Team
NCAA (Hockey East) Rookie of the Year
NCAA (New England) D1 All-Stars
NCAA (New England) Rookie of the Year
NCAA Top Collegiate Rookie (Tim Taylor Award)
U20 WJC Gold Medal
2014-2015
NCAA (Championship) All-Tournament Team
NCAA (Championship) Tournament MVP
NCAA (Championship) Winner
NCAA (East) Second All-American Team
NCAA (Hockey East) First All-Star Team
NCAA (Hockey East) Goaltender of the Year
NCAA (New England) D1 All-Stars

AND when Gillies had a bad pro season it was due to injury

So far Parsons has played at a mediocre level at the lowest pro level that can still be called pro.

Gillies came back from a major injury, kind of indicates a high level of compete and push.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #84
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Yes all of that is true. I’m not sure if you are offering that as a rebuttal or supporting information...

Watch them both play. Parsons is a monster.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #85
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Still going with Foo. I think he's got a physical element that pushes him ahead of Mangiapane.

Not sold on Parsons yet. Goaltenders are so hard to project.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #86
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Watch them both play. Parsons is a monster.
When you say monster I’ll assume you mean his play was ugly and scary last year? He had a very disappointing season and needs to bounce back to prove worthy of the accolades being hoisted upon him.

Parsons has an unorthodox style, relying on his athleticism to make up for his weak fundamentals. He plays a very aggressive game, which is his greatest weakness, even beyond his fundamental shortcomings. Pros use his aggressiveness against him, sop he has to get this under control. His athleticism worked in his favor in junior, but doesn’t have the same impact at the next level. Parsons needs to improve on his fundamentals and learn to play a more position ally sound style at his position.

I would like to add, at no time in Gillies career has he put up numbers as bad as Parsons last season. That says a lot about Gillies, mostly because he plays a very posessionally sound style. He just needs to adjust to the speed of the NHL game. His movements need to become more compact and quick. Something to improve upon, but less of a road block than what Parsons has to get past.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #87
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Don’t get me wrong, I think Gillies will be an NHL goalie as well. I’m a big fan.

Finally some flames drafted goalies to be excited about.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #88
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have Kylington in this round, and up next for me would have been:

Parsons
Gillies

Foo
Mangiapane

Parsons was an elite-level goalie prospect. The kid is a gamer who just elevates his game when it matters most. That's what you want to see in your goalie.

Gillies is a solid goaltender. He has done fairly well at the NHL level already, and I expect him to continue improving. I do think he has starter ability.

Foo looked NHL-ready. I think he has a very difficult adjustment to the pro leagues last season, but once he adjusted, he was very good. Adds a lot of speed and some grit to his game, plus he is a scorer. I thought he had a lot of poise for a kid in his circumstance - he didn't handle the puck like a grenade, but rather tried to make plays with it. Really liked his game.

Mangiapane - once again, Ricardow's opinion is (IMO) totally out to lunch here. Mangiapane had stretches in his call-up where he was driving that 4th line. He seemed to develop some chemistry with Stajan, and actually looked dangerous. Didn't happen every game, and I think Gulutzan didn't reward him properly for his good performances (honestly, thank goodness that he is gone). Did he look great every game? No. Did he look overwhelmed at times? Yes. However, for a first decent look at the NHL level, and given his experience, I thought he exceeded my expectations. I didn't think he would even become a tweener-level NHL player, but now I think he can be a legitimate scorer at the NHL level. Will take another season or two, but it looks like he will get there.

After that, it sort of drops-off for me. The guys listed above are the guys that I think make the NHL and have some sort of an impact. The next batch are more wildcards. Guys like Phillips, Sveningsson, Zavgorodny and Lindstrom. That's probably my next batch of players that I think could be difference makers in the NHL, but probably a bit more murky as to their likelihood of ever making it. Maybe a few more players in that mix that I will be looking at sorting out.

While this prospect pool is not ripe with top 6 can't miss types, it is still fairly deep in my opinion with skilled guys. I would bet a couple (if not more) of the guys I just mentioned above really turn heads next season in their respective leagues.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #89
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I went with Kylington .. but still think its pretty close for a bit yet. For me anyway.
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #90
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wrong thread. Sorry.

Last edited by Steve Bozek; 07-12-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #91
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Doesn’t look good for Foo this round, but I was impressed by his play in a short sample size. I like Eat Bread as well, but I think Foo is more ready and they will have similar upside (albeit with Foo more as a goal scorer and Mangi as more of a set up man). Also, if much of Mangi’s upside is based on the AHL, shouldn’t Czarnik be next in line?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote