Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2019, 06:40 PM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they bring back the Smith/Rittich tandem I’m not so sure they make the playoffs next season. It was a down season in the Western Conference this season and teams will rebound and chances are the Flames will have some regression offensively. It would be Treliving’s biggest mistake yet and he’s made a few bad ones with Gulutzan, Brouwer, and Neal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving will get a deal with Hamonic. He’s still in his prime and wants to play in Canada. He’s not been quite as good as the price paid to acquire him but that probably plays into the Flames hands when they start discussing a long term deal. I would be stunned if Brodie is still a Flame after the draft.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #23
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wouldn’t mind a Rittich/Talbot combo signed super reasonable. Ex Oilers always seem to do well and has shown he can. Be new to him to actual have defensemen in front of him lol.

Move on from Smith
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to getoverit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 06:46 PM   #24
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Treliving will get a deal with Hamonic. He’s still in his prime and wants to play in Canada. He’s not been quite as good as the price paid to acquire him but that probably plays into the Flames hands when they start discussing a long term deal. I would be stunned if Brodie is still a Flame after the draft.

Hamonic will turn 30 the summer he turns UFA. Flames need to be sure they don't overpay for a player that might decline soon.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #25
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
If they bring back the Smith/Rittich tandem I’m not so sure they make the playoffs next season. It was a down season in the Western Conference this season and teams will rebound and chances are the Flames will have some regression offensively. It would be Treliving’s biggest mistake yet and he’s made a few bad ones with Gulutzan, Brouwer, and Neal.
I think it is likely that the Flames with the same level of goaltending make the playoffs next year. They posted a +62 goal differential. Even with a regression to the mean there is every reason to think that they will still be top three in the Pacific Division. Who is taking their place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 06:50 PM   #26
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can find a viable alternative solution to Smith, which doesn't involving getting rid of picks and blue-chip prospects, you do it. But I don't think you can. Transaction priorities has to be on top 6 level players first and foremost. Don't think the team will have much capital to find a more permanent solution to the goaltending tandem this off season. So I'm fully expecting Smith to come back in a stop-gap contract.

Hopefully Rittich continues where he left off last season before he got hurt. If so, then at least the Flames have a goalie they can play in the starter role.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #27
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
If you can find a viable alternative solution to Smith, which doesn't involving getting rid of picks and blue-chip prospects, you do it. But I don't think you can. Transaction priorities has to be on top 6 level players first and foremost. Don't think the team will have much capital to find a more permanent solution to the goaltending tandem this off season. So I'm fully expecting Smith to come back in a stop-gap contract....
Why not? There are going to be a lot of high quality UFA goalies available this summer. I think it is likely that the Flames sign one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #28
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
as someone said previously...the acquisition cost is sunk cost now...

Hamonic brings something to the table that the other dmen don't have (except maybe Gio at times)... I think Hamonic and his wife, both small town kids from Manitoba, love living here... I don't expect a contract negotiation to be adversarial or prolonged...

while i'd hate to lose Brodie, people have to remove themselves from the player vs the asset... i think Calgary needs to move a dman at some point and brodie would be a guy that seems to be the most likely imo...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #29
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Why not? There are going to be a lot of high quality UFA goalies available this summer. I think it is likely that the Flames sign one.
I don't know if the Flames will be able to afford them if they bring in two top 9 forwards that might eat up a fair amount of the cap space. The goalies may get picked up elsewhere for more dough.

They may be able to do both still. Depending on what occurs, a lot of cap room can be made, while still fulfilling my wish of protecting picks and prospects. I just don't expect getting a proper replacement for Smith as of right now.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #30
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Why would we 'need to sell' Hamonic? The dude is a young, tough-as-nails, top-four defenseman on a great contract and wants to play in Calgary. Why exactly are you so ready to give him up for a pick, who in all odds won't pan out to be the player Hamonic already is?
Narratives are not supposed to be questioned.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #31
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want the Flames to trade Hanifin because I believe his value is high and I much prefer Valimaki and Kylington over him. As for Hamonic, I love the guy and hope the playoffs were a blip and he remembers how to gap up defending the rush again
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:39 PM   #32
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
I want the Flames to trade Hanifin because I believe his value is high and I much prefer Valimaki and Kylington over him. As for Hamonic, I love the guy and hope the playoffs were a blip and he remembers how to gap up defending the rush again
Why? Valimaki, Kylington, Andersson and Hanifin seems like a pretty good start to our next generation of defense. Gio is at the end of his career and Brodie is likely gone.

That's a nice group with sufficiently varying skillsets to act as our anchor on the blueline.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #33
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Why? Valimaki, Kylington, Andersson and Hanifin seems like a pretty good start to our next generation of defense. Gio is at the end of his career and Brodie is likely gone.

That's a nice group with sufficiently varying skillsets to act as our anchor on the blueline.
He isn't dynamic enough for me for the top 4 role he's been given. He doesn't play with courage or intensity like Kylington, Andersson, and Valimaki all have this year. All that high end skating ability of his has not manifested in either offensive or defensive aggressiveness that I've seen.

Comparing players to bouwmeester has become a meme but he's probably the most bouwmeester-like defender on the flames since bouw left.

If he has high value I'd rather they leverage that value to improve the forward group. There's only so much LHD time to go around with our other promising defenders rising.

Last edited by Jore; 04-30-2019 at 07:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #34
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kylington is no where near Hanifin. The Flames shouldn’t be trading the 22 year Dman signed for 5 years under $5M especially with Treliving boring on more than one occasion he is a player driven to be successful.

Brodie and Stone should be the guys shopped and moved. Hamonic wants to be here and brings the toughness element this team lacks. Just seems like the type of guy you want in the room.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #35
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He isn't dynamic enough for me for the top 4 role he's been given. He doesn't play with courage or intensity like Kylington, Andersson, and Valimaki all have this year. All that high end skating ability of his has not manifested in either offensive or defensive aggressiveness that I've seen.

Comparing players to bouwmeester has become a meme but he's probably the most bouwmeester-like defender on the flames since bouw left.

If he has high value I'd rather they leverage that value to improve the forward group. There's only so much LHD time to go around with our other promising defenders rising.
There is so much wrong with this post I am not sure where to begin. Hanifin is nothing like Bouwmeester, he lays way more hits. Even funnier is Dougie Hamilton was way more like Bouw, he even said at his draft year he patterned his game after him. We have not seen enough of Valimaki or Kylington to remotely say they play with more intensity than Hanifin. I seriously have no idea what the hell you were watching this year. Hanifin is a young stud D who has tremendous upside and has played an incredible amount of minutes for such a young D man.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #36
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
There is so much wrong with this post I am not sure where to begin. Hanifin is nothing like Bouwmeester, he lays way more hits. Even funnier is Dougie Hamilton was way more like Bouw, he even said at his draft year he patterned his game after him. We have not seen enough of Valimaki or Kylington to remotely say they play with more intensity than Hanifin. I seriously have no idea what the hell you were watching this year. Hanifin is a young stud D who has tremendous upside and has played an incredible amount of minutes for such a young D man.
I could say the same to you. Hamilton put up 42, 50, and 44 points in his 3 seasons as a Flame, including a 17 goal season. Bouwmeester's best total as a Flame was.. 29 points and 5 goals. Hamilton was 8th on the team in hits as a flame fyi over his years here. I'm not seeing this comparison.

Hanifin might hit more but he's a smooth skating defender with no shot and not much offensive creativity. He was competent defensively in the regular season but in the playoffs he and hamonic were the worst defenders and dragged down momentum every shift. I think I will always remember that delay of game penalty he took with 2 minutes left right after the Avs tied it in game 4.

I'd sure love to see this tremendous upside, especially in big games, but I haven't seen it yet

Last edited by Jore; 04-30-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #37
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hanifin would absolutely get you a ton in return - but the problem with trading him is this: Andersson, Kylington, and Valimaki are not guaranteed to make similar strides next year. Development isn't linear and really good but young blueliners are known to have growing pains.

If you assume Brodie is gone and also that Giordano will decline at some point, as well as that Hamonic could as well, you almost have to keep Hanifin unless someone makes you a stupid crazy offer.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #38
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I like Hanifin quite a bit as a player. One of the only reasons that I think he might be traded is if he's the final piece necessary to acquire a tremendous upgrade at forward.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 09:14 PM   #39
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Hamonic will turn 30 the summer he turns UFA. Flames need to be sure they don't overpay for a player that might decline soon.
I'm not convinced 30 year olds require a walker or wheel chair. Defensemen tend to age better and adapt to an ever changing game. I would bet Hamonic will resign on a team friendly number and term.

Draft picks while appealing are at best a crap shoot. We need his type and style of defense. I'm all for keeping him unless a trade offer becomes too appealing to resist.

What teams would Tre target for Brodie & Stone? Would the ask be picks or players? Brodie could be a piece of the pie to acquire a larger impactful asset.

Interesting summer awaits.....
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spuzzum For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 09:58 PM   #40
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with trading Hanifin now is that you’re doing it at a low point in value. He is very solid but he’s been tasked with carrying around Hamonic all year which I wouldn’t expect any 21 year old to be able to pull off, especially when the pace picks up later in the season.

Pair him with a good defenseman next year and have him focus more on taking the offensive responsibility rather than babysitting and I think he will surprise a lot of people. He’s very skilled but obviously still a work in progress.

All that said, hopefully Yelesin is good, but it would surprise me if he stuck all year in the NHL, there’s no need to run anyone out of town to make room for him.