Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #101
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I love Monahan. He's a great player, who's limitations wouldn't be as magnified if he could play a more appropriate role for his skillset (aka: An elite 2C or a #1LW)
The other day Monahan took an outlet pass, made a few strides up ice, saw a guy more open and successfully passed on up, creating a good zone entry.

You decided to post that Monahan was terrified of handling the puck so he passes all the time.

BTW, those legs that he can't control got him two mini-breakaways last game, where he beat the defenders cleanly.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #102
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There is some truth in the mob mentality here but your comments regarding Monahan would be no better received on any other team's fan site when your opinion of one of their top players is so different than everyone else's to the point where you may be the only person on the continent with that opinion. I have noticed that you don't post here a lot but when you do it's usually in discussions where you are telling us Monahan is not that good. I don't pretend to know why you don't like him but it's pretty obvious you do for reasons only you know. Differing opinions are good and you are within your rights to state them but when they are so against the grain I'm not sure how you can expect them to be well received. It's like going into one of the politics threads and stating you think Trump is the greatest president ever. It's just not going to be a popular take.
x2....nice EE.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #103
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The other day Monahan took an outlet pass, made a few strides up ice, saw a guy more open and successfully passed on up, creating a good zone entry.

You decided to post that Monahan was terrified of handling the puck so he passes all the time.

BTW, those legs that he can't control got him two mini-breakaways last game, where he beat the defenders cleanly.
Yup, he looks a LOT faster this year. I think the groin/sports hernias were a big detriment to his skating. I wonder if Love has watched him as closely this year. He looks different to me.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #104
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Monahan is quite possibly the worst defensive player on the team. It's tough for him to focus on the puck when he's struggling against his own two legs with every stride he takes.

Iginla was clearly better defensively
Trollololol
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #105
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's due to the mob mentality on this site, where if you think differently, you're crucified and given weird labels. It makes me want to express my opinion that much more.

Posters try to bully you into silence and/or bans if you don't comply with their groupthink and I think it's extremely childish and defeats the purpose of being on a forum.
Sounds like something someone who enjoys trolling us would say.

I mean there’s having a different opinion and then there’s having an opinion that flies in the face of reality. Your Monahan stance is so far from from reality that trolling must be the conclusion.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #106
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Sounds like something someone who enjoys trolling us would say.

I mean there’s having a different opinion and then there’s having an opinion that flies in the face of reality. Your Monahan stance is so far from from reality that trolling must be the conclusion.
What is my Monahan stance?

(And support it with more than anecdotes)

I've never said Monahan isn't a #1 center
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #107
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

I think this is where people get your stance from.

Quote:
I love Monahan. He's a great player, who's limitations wouldn't be as magnified if he could play a more appropriate role for his skillset (aka: An elite 2C or a #1LW)
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #108
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why don't you tell us your stance, with the same requirement? Support your position with more that anecdotes. It doesn't count to simply say, "He's slow". Back it up.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #109
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

He may be the worst defensive player on the team. With that statement in this thread you lost any credibility you may have ever had. Your opinion of Monahan is unhinged. Well trolled.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #110
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Monahan is severely underrated. That being said, he doesn't have the all around game and physical power forward presence that Iginla had.

Monahan really only does one thing well. Fortunately, that one thing is scoring goals, which is the most important part of winning a hockey game. Monahan is one of the most consistent scorers in the NHL. So glad we picked up Monahan. A perfect compliment to a player like Gaudreau.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #111
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrButtons View Post
I think this is where people get your stance from.
I mean in Malkin, Kuznetsov, Krejci 2C role
Old 10-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #112
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Love is quite possibly the worst poster on the CP. It's tough for him to focus on trolling when he's struggling against his own two fingers with every keystroke he makes.

I love Love. He's a great poster, who's limitations wouldn't be as magnified if he could play a more appropriate role for his skillset (aka: troll or a HF poster).
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #113
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Love is quite possibly the worst poster on the CP. It's tough for him to focus on trolling when he's struggling against his own two fingers with every keystroke he makes.

I love Love. He's a great poster, who's limitations wouldn't be as magnified if he could play a more appropriate role for his skillset (aka: troll or a HF poster).
But an elite HF poster.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #114
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Why don't you tell us your stance, with the same requirement? Support your position with more that anecdotes. It doesn't count to simply say, "He's slow". Back it up.
The simplest comparison I can make is to a player like Jeff Carter. (I think Carter was a little better, but...)

A clear first line talent level player, just not a complete enough player to be a 1C on a cup winning team - ala: Kopitar, Bergeron, Backstrom, Crosby
Old 10-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #115
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I mean in Malkin, Kuznetsov, Krejci 2C role
All three of those players are top-line centres on most teams in the NHL. I would go as far to say that Malkin is the top centre on EVERY NHL team other than Pittsburgh, and maybe Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #116
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A clear first line talent level player, just not a complete enough player to be a 1C on a cup winning team - ala: Kopitar, Bergeron, Backstrom, Crosby
Quote:
I've gone in depth multiple times. I think outside of shooting the puck, Monahan is the definition of mediocre. Maybe even below that.
No wonder you're asking others to define your stance. You can't even keep track of it yourself. You're moving goalposts all over the place.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #117
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Why are people arguing about Monahan with a Canucks fan?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #118
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is getting 40 this year. Book it.
That said, he is not Jarome Iginla, nor does he need to be. Iginla is a sure fire first ballot HOFer who put up Rob Schremp numbers in real life. Iginla is underrated and under appreciated around here, generally speaking, in my opinion.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #119
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
That said, he is not Jarome Iginla, nor does he need to be. Iginla is a sure fire first ballot HOFer who put up Rob Schremp numbers in real life. Iginla is underrated and under appreciated around here, generally speaking, in my opinion.
People continue to miss this, but I don't think the point of this thread was to show that Monahan is as good a player as Jarome Iginla. The point was to show that Monahan is on a fantastic trajectory (comparable to Iginla) and could have a breakout season this year or next (as Iginla did).

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #120
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Totally agree.

Iggi was the best scoring power forward in the NHL for multiple years. Maybe even the best play in the league for a year or 2 in there as well. Plus a consistent sniper for his entire career (minus last couple seasons on #### teams).

Monahan is good. And if he can carry a team to within a goal of the Stanley Cup (or hoist a cup) and put up consistent number for 10+ years then he can start to be compared to Iginla.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote