Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #221
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Considered subscribing due to guys like Duhatchek and Haynes, they do good work, but still haven’t cared enough to get over the hump.
You should consider Scott Cruickshank as well as an excellent reason to subscribe. His stories since he came over to The Athletic have been fantastic.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #222
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just subscribed @ 40% off. Where I live = Cdn$3.60/month. Seems like a bargain considering the amount and quality of content. A cheap slice of pizza. Will I pay full price in a year's time? Time will tell.
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #223
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Another guy at the Athletic who is more or less a fourth line grinder, generating a high volume of work that is not very special.

Considered subscribing due to guys like Duhatchek and Haynes, they do good work, but still haven’t cared enough to get over the hump.
Unfortunately, their elite, 1C (Duhatchek) doesn't seem to write about the Flames anymore.

Still worth the subscription, though, because of Haynes and Cruikshank IMO.

Edit: Did I say Elite? Should have said generational.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #224
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Unfortunately, their elite, 1C (Duhatchek) doesn't seem to write about the Flames anymore.

Still worth the subscription, though, because of Haynes and Cruikshank IMO.

Edit: Did I say Elite? Should have said generational.
Absolutely true. Although Kent Wilson is hot garbage and making me rethink my subscription.

He had a little thin skinned whine session diatribe on here last week, that was pathetic when someone dared to suggest he knows nothing about hockey. Then he listed all his sacrifices... like its anything close to someone who is actually employed directly within the industry and had to move cities or uproot their family.

Most people on here know a thing or two about hockey, or just like to learn and understand more through the sharing of opinions, but he always presents his narrative like he's the smartest guy in the room and the team is Soooo stupid.

I used to wonder why I didn't hear more from him on the radio or other mediums because his analytics side was intriguing and informative at times. Now I know. He seems incapable of understanding that analytics is also subject to the law of diminishing returns and is a means to understanding the story but by itself is not the story.

The more I read his garbage the more I think he's either the drunk or the lamppost that Burke often refers to, I'm just not sure which one.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #225
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
Absolutely true. Although Kent Wilson is hot garbage and making me rethink my subscription.

He had a little thin skinned whine session diatribe on here last week, that was pathetic when someone dared to suggest he knows nothing about hockey. Then he listed all his sacrifices... like its anything close to someone who is actually employed directly within the industry and had to move cities or uproot their family.

Most people on here know a thing or two about hockey, or just like to learn and understand more through the sharing of opinions, but he always presents his narrative like he's the smartest guy in the room and the team is Soooo stupid.

I used to wonder why I didn't hear more from him on the radio or other mediums because his analytics side was intriguing and informative at times. Now I know. He seems incapable of understanding that analytics is also subject to the law of diminishing returns and is a means to understanding the story but by itself is not the story.

The more I read his garbage the more I think he's either the drunk or the lamppost that Burke often refers to, I'm just not sure which one.
His article where he tried to answer the question of why Peters' teams give up high danger scoring chances, and all it really did was show some numbers that says that his teams do, but that's all. It didn't even come close to looking at why, just some numbers that prove that it was happening.

No kidding, we can all see that. But you said you were going to look at why, so.. uh.. why?
Old 12-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #226
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I thought Haynes would be the best reason to subscribe, but Scott Cruickshank's long pieces have been the real gem. His latest is about Brad Treliving and his path to being the Flames GM was quite excellent. All of his pieces this year have been great.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LanceUppercut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #227
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scott is a superb story-teller and easily one of the best at what he does in the country.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #228
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Its crazy how good the publication is becoming. There's now four writers for the flames? And three of them are amazing.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #229
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

The best part of the Athletic, and this part alone makes it worth the money, is not being forced to look at multiple headlines about the Leafs every fricking day that you find everywhere else.

It was bad before but it's unbearable now, and most of the stories are pointless filler but they're Leafs so they're everywhere.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #230
Breakfast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I like Kent Wilson.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:21 AM   #231
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast View Post
I like Kent Wilson.

So do I. But I have to say that judging from the amount of 50% off and 60% off opportunites the Athletic has been spamming me to get me back in the fold over the last few months they may have a problem to attract enough customers willing to pay full price. I think the product is good, but being a guy that does not have a lot of time to read a huge amount of hockey articles it's a pretty steep price. I paid for a year last time around, but found myself not being able to make it worth the while.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:37 AM   #232
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast View Post
I like Kent Wilson.
I used to as well, then I realized he just tells the same oversimplified story (frequently negative) with different numbers.

Plus his pithy whiney defensive post on hear completely turned me off his writing.

It basically just validated to me that his insecurities drive his writing and are immune from the acknowledgment of everything that he doesn’t know about hockey as he rants about all that he does claim to know.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #233
hjerk
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrader View Post
They even have an appreciation event this week. Not sure if anyone has been there before. If you can bring the family along and order food there?
Not sure if kids are allowed at The Rec Room, but I went to this event with another buddy who subscribes and it was a fantastic time. In addition to being able to weave words on a page magically Duhatschek is such a great in-person storyteller. Listening to how Cruickshank put together the Tyler Parsons story was fascinating as well. Haynes brought his own perspective and held his own on a panel with two gentlemen who are gifted at their craft (writing). I'm really happy to read what Haynes puts together because it comes from a different perspective.

Wilson wasn't there but I think that was OK. He's not on the same level as the other three.

I'm definitely looking forward to going again next year. I'm planning to re-subscribe at full price and I bought my Dad a sub for Father's Day this past year because the value is insane. We are both loving The Athletic.
hjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hjerk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #234
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjerk View Post
Not sure if kids are allowed at The Rec Room, but I went to this event with another buddy who subscribes and it was a fantastic time. In addition to being able to weave words on a page magically Duhatschek is such a great in-person storyteller. Listening to how Cruickshank put together the Tyler Parsons story was fascinating as well. Haynes brought his own perspective and held his own on a panel with two gentlemen who are gifted at their craft (writing). I'm really happy to read what Haynes puts together because it comes from a different perspective.

Wilson wasn't there but I think that was OK. He's not on the same level as the other three.

I'm definitely looking forward to going again next year. I'm planning to re-subscribe at full price and I bought my Dad a sub for Father's Day this past year because the value is insane. We are both loving The Athletic.
Kids are allowed up until 8pm? or 10pm? I cant remember the exact time.

Maybe one day I will buy a subscription. Just not today
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #235
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Kids are allowed up until 8pm? or 10pm? I cant remember the exact time.

Maybe one day I will buy a subscription. Just not today
I think it's 10. But they weren't fussy when I was there about kids that got there before and were still there after the hour changed.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #236
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What is this reference to him posting?
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #237
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
What is this reference to him posting?
Kent is Metro Gnome
Old 12-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #238
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Not unpredictable. The M.O. going back many years for the "Elite #1 C" has been to figure out any way possible to spend the majority of the hockey season in California.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #239
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Scott Cruickshank and Kent Wilson are doing a live Q&A online right now.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #240
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

I used to be anti-paywall, but this content has been so good for a full year now that I recommend it to everyone.

It's like HBO. It's just better than ad based TV. I also like that hockey writers can make a living doing it.

I'm not a huge advanced stats guy (mostly I'd like to see an article on how past players like Kent Nilsson would be judged using them - was he a "darling" like Hamilton?), so Kent Wilson isn't really my cup of tea, but I also find value there with different perspectives.

To have such easy access to really high quality writing for so many teams is super awesome. Especially when it's all in an app, instead of surfing around google.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post: