Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #301
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Only 9 goalies make over 6M or more a year. Also, quite a few decent goalies are hitting free agency. The Flames will have 12.5M to split between Bennett Tkachuk, and a number 1 goalie. It will be difficult, but not absolutely impossible.
Plus they only have to deal with Stone and Frolik's contracts for an additional year - those kind of contracts can be moved. You might also move Hamonic in a pinch. Plus there is expansion.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #302
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Clearly, the Flames are moving some salary out this summer, and some of that may very well be tied to one of Ryan or Frolik. But again, the crucial missing point is that both are REALLY useful players. Their cap hits for this season are basically immaterial so long as they continue to be useful players. It's a huge difference from last year.
This is an interesting point. It begs the question, would we rather have that cap space spent, or for the Flames to have 8M of dead space waiting me be used. I would take effective players all season long rather than have unused room.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #303
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Clearly, the Flames are moving some salary out this summer, and some of that may very well be tied to one of Ryan or Frolik...
I think you most definatley have to trade Frolik by the offseason. Ryan won't get moved so soon after signing and is a solid FO man that can be important on any teams 4th line.

Frolik makes the most sense as Mangiapane is almost ready and there are others right behind him.

It's more difficult to determine what we should do with Stone until we see how Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington continue to develop.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #304
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let's be clear here about one thing: The difference in player calibre between having Stajan and Brouwer sitting on the fourth line and Ryan and Frolik is exponential. I cannot even begin to express how much better it is to ice the latter than the former—so much so, that this comparison and the attempted point is virtually meaningless.
You were pretty adamant all last year that Brouwer was a perfectly fine 4th liner and it was only his salary that was the problem, no?

I want to wait and evaluate Ryan after more than 3 games before I say he is exponentially better than anyone. The Flames still aren’t getting secondary scoring yet.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #305
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.

That is what I said.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #306
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Frolik is so much better than Brouwer and Ryan is so much better than Stajan, plus they're both cheaper and the cap will keep going up next summer.

Smith and Stone will likely be gone. There's the room you need to sign a Bobrovsky or Varlamov.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #307
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

i don't have a problem at all spending money on Ryan like this. He is an unusual talent when it comes to righty with good face-off numbers. If they pull him out 10 minutes per game for just that, i think that is fine. It's a different skill....other teams will be lacking it and gives us a leg up on one area of in-game management.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #308
Iggy599
Farm Team Player

Exp:

First off, it’s been 3 games... counting any new contract unworthy is way too premature. The team looks pretty good so far and well balanced. Sure we could use more scoring from new guys like Ryan and Neal but to even throw them in the mix with the likes of Stajan and Brouwer is crazy. Especially Stajan, never understood the coddling attitude towards him.
Iggy599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #309
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Frolik is so much better than Brouwer and Ryan is so much better than Stajan, plus they're both cheaper and the cap will keep going up next summer.

Smith and Stone will likely be gone. There's the room you need to sign a Bobrovsky or Varlamov.
And Tkachuk? It’s silly to worry about it yet but Flames have relatively little salary coming off the books next year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #310
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
And Tkachuk? It’s silly to worry about it yet but Flames have relatively little salary coming off the books next year.
Early estimates have the salary cap for 2019-20 coming in at around $82 million. Let's assume it gets there.

Let's pencil in Tkachuk at $6.5 and Bennett at $2.0. Say Bobrovsky comes to the Flames, I can see them overpaying and going for $7.5. Let's see how that all fits in.

Gaudreau ($6.75) - Monahan ($6.3) - Lindholm ($4.85)
Tkachuk ($6.5) - Backlund ($5.35) - Czarnik ($1.25)
Dube ($0.778) - Jankowski (1.675) - Neal ($5.75)
Bennett ($2.0) - Ryan ($3.1) - Frolik ($4.3)
Extras ($1.4 - $0.7 each)

Giordano ($6.75) - Brodie ($4.65)
Hanifin ($4.95) - Hamonic ($3.857)
Valimaki ($0.894) - Andersson ($0.756)
Extra ($0.7)

Bobrovsky ($7.5)
Gillies ($0.75)

That adds up to $80.1 million, and you've only gotten rid of two roster players (Stone and Smith). Stone is internally replaced by Andersson, while Bobrovsky provides a replacement for Smith. Theoretically, the team could keep Stone and sign Varlamov for a significantly lower price as well, but why not go all out?

If you think Tkachuk signs for more, well, maybe you get rid of Frolik. Ho hum. He's still a decent piece but more than replaceable at this point, although it would be preferable to keep him.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #311
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just don't see Bobrovsky signing for anything under 8.5m, even then it would be a discount..

I agree that Frolik and/or Stone are the contracts we expedite in order to make room for a Tkachuk extension but I don't think signing Bob is realistic unfortunatly.

He wants Price money and no goalie is worth that, I don't care how good you are.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #312
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Early estimates have the salary cap for 2019-20 coming in at around $82 million. Let's assume it gets there.

Let's pencil in Tkachuk at $6.5 and Bennett at $2.0. Say Bobrovsky comes to the Flames, I can see them overpaying and going for $7.5. Let's see how that all fits in.

Extra ($0.7)

Bobrovsky ($7.5)
Gillies ($0.75)

That adds up to $80.1 million, and you've only gotten rid of two roster players (Stone and Smith). Stone is internally replaced by Andersson, while Bobrovsky provides a replacement for Smith. Theoretically, the team could keep Stone and sign Varlamov for a significantly lower price as well, but why not go all out?

If you think Tkachuk signs for more, well, maybe you get rid of Frolik. Ho hum. He's still a decent piece but more than replaceable at this point, although it would be preferable to keep him.
We also have 900k coming off the books from the Bouma buyout (766k) and the Murphy buyout (137k) a significant enough number when you're negotiating the Tkachuk contract or fishing for an UFA goalie.
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charsiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #313
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
You were pretty adamant all last year that Brouwer was a perfectly fine 4th liner and it was only his salary that was the problem, no?
And I stand by that opinion. But this forward group is significantly deeper this year, and I am not convinced that Ryan's ceiling here is on the fourth line. It's a long season and I will be pretty shocked if he does not spend a good amount of time in the top-nine. Unlike last season I do not see the same issue of Ryan moving up and down the lineup like there was with Brouwer.

Quote:
I want to wait and evaluate Ryan after more than 3 games before I say he is exponentially better than anyone. The Flames still aren’t getting secondary scoring yet.
Well, he skates really well and is excellent on face-offs. Those factors on their own without any offensive contributions makes Ryan a monumentally better option than both Brouwer and Stajan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #314
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I just don't see Bobrovsky signing for anything under 8.5m, even then it would be a discount..

I agree that Frolik and/or Stone are the contracts we expedite in order to make room for a Tkachuk extension but I don't think signing Bob is realistic unfortunatly.

He wants Price money and no goalie is worth that, I don't care how good you are.
Will he get it? I am not convinced.

Heading into next year Calgary, Columbus, Colorado, Philadelphia, Edmonton, possibly Detroit or Vancouver will be in the market for a new starting goalie. Do you see one of these teams committing a $10.0 m cap hit on a long term deal to a goalie? I am not sure that I do. I agree that Bobrovsky will sign for more than $7.5 m, but I don't think any goalie is getting close to $10.0 m.

Quote:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #315
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Will he get it? I am not convinced.

Heading into next year Calgary, Columbus, Colorado, Philadelphia, Edmonton, possibly Detroit or Vancouver will be in the market for a new starting goalie. Do you see one of these teams committing a $10.0 m cap hit on a long term deal to a goalie? I am not sure that I do. I agree that Bobrovsky will sign for more than $7.5 m, but I don't think any goalie is getting close to $10.0 m.
Whether it's 7.5 or 10, I doubt the Flames will be in the running, I think we are much more likely to be in the market for a lower tier goalie such as Varlamov. Ideally we would be looking for another "bridge" situation, assuming everyone in the crease from Parsons up takes a positive developmental step forward. Doubt there will be many goalies going into free agency looking for term of that nature though.

Also you can scratch Colorado off that list of definite teams looking for a starter, they signed Grubauer to a 3 year deal for a reason. It's likely he successfully segues into the full time role by season's end.
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #316
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charsiu View Post
Whether it's 7.5 or 10, I doubt the Flames will be in the running, I think we are much more likely to be in the market for a lower tier goalie such as Varlamov. Ideally we would be looking for another "bridge" situation, assuming everyone in the crease from Parsons up takes a positive developmental step forward. Doubt there will be many goalies going into free agency looking for term of that nature though.

Also you can scratch Colorado off that list of definite teams looking for a starter, they signed Grubauer to a 3 year deal for a reason. It's likely he successfully segues into the full time role by season's end.
Right! I had forgotten that.

Even if there are positive signs from the prospects I could see the Flames making a four-year deal for a goalie, and that would be right in the ballpark for a few players. Take a look at recent UFA goalie deals and extensions, and Carey Price's contract is an outlier in term. Highly sought after Ben Bishop signed a six-year deal two summers ago.

Bobrovsky would be the target, but I would be perfectly okay with Varlamov on a four-year deal.

Quote:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #317
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Says who, you?

I guess we'll see as the season goes on, but when the time comes to pay Tkachuk a substantial sum of money and figure out what the hell is going on with goaltending, I have a feeling the tune around here with regards to Ryan and Frolik making $7.5 million to play on the 4th line is going to take a dramatic turn.

Let's say Bobrovsky goes out and signs in Carolina, while the Flames go bargain bin diving with Mike Smith. Well, this is what that 'exponential' difference in depth gets you.
You make a good point, but it's not anything Treliving needs to be too concerned with right now. These are two smart players that depth has pushed to the 4th line, which I think is pretty great. As long as they're being utilized and we can afford them, that's a pretty awesome 'problem' to have. To diminish that now based on a potential issue in the future is to assume that you're thinking ahead of Treliving.

Spoiler!

TL;DR: Treliving has reason to give the current goaltending crew the opportunity to rebound this season.

Ryan and Frolik are both players that can very likely be moved pretty easily if need be as well. They are roadblocks he could very well already have a solution to if Treliving gets to the point that they are somehow blocking re-signing Tkachuk or fixing the goalie situation. I don't think it's inconceivable that Brad has a 'Frolik for X pick' standing offer from a team that is interested in him (or something to that effect).

These aren't all knee-jerk trades, even if they seem sudden to us fans.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #318
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Extra ($0.7)

Bobrovsky ($7.5)
Gillies ($0.75)

Does the $80.1m take into account the $1.5m for Brouwers buyout?
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #319
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sometimes, people are wrong...
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #320
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Extra ($0.7)

Bobrovsky ($7.5)
Gillies ($0.75)

He's making 7.5 now. That's a discount for Bob.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote