Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #761
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Horrible. Makes me think Hamilton was a dressing room problem, but with his numbers and contract it didn’t matter. Carolina fleeced the flames.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #762
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

And we still have Bennett Just think the Flames gave away A LOT in this deal.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #763
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
What does Fox have left to prove in NCAA? Why not make the jump to pro? Was it because he doesn't want to play in Calgary?
Yes. It was either a desire to not play here, or a desire to get a chance to select where he plays, or some combination of both.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #764
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just listened to Lindholm's end of the season interview. He said that he didn't like switching between centre and wing, that he likes and wants to play centre and that he should have been more clear about it. What position is he gonna play in Calgary - 4th line centre?

Honestly, I don't really understand this trade at all. We get a centre instead of an elite RW, who we desperately need. We get a defenseman who is comparable but not as good as the one we've given away. And we've given up an elite prospect. What am I missing here?
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #765
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
How isn't he a throw in? Carolina is resting on the intriguing possibility that he will sign with them, but in reality he can just spite them as he did Calgary and go on his merry way to free agency. His track record for reliability isn't in the best shape as it stands.
Throw in means he had little to no value in the deal. None of us know how much CAR valued his inclusion in the deal. But if his value was little to nothing I think Treliving would have moved him elsewhere.

To assume he was thrown in as having little value seems like a very bad assumption that I’m not sure why some posters at leaping at.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #766
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Skimming the thread, I'll reserve judgement for when I see the signings
Old 06-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #767
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
I think losing Ferland is the biggest thing I'm unhappy about. IMO he was a guy that was worth more to the team than his value in a trade. Having a guy who can fill a spot in the top-6 without needing to spend a huge amount of assets and money is really valuable.

He could be a good fit on a line with some of Carolina's smaller skilled forwards like Aho or Terevainen, playing a similar role to what he did here.

I'm also very curious to see what happens with Hamilton. I think Slavin could play the Giordano role if they needed someone to babysit him in his own zone, but I doubt they break up their top pair of Slavin-Pesce. I think we'll learn in a hurry where Hamilton's defensive game is in Carolina if he's on the second pair with a mediocre partner.

And when he walks away after next season because someone overpays him how valuable is he then?
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #768
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Something else to consider: the Flames have been absolutely appalling at defending Connor McDavid since he entered the league. I don't know how much of that is on Gulutzan. I assume at least a little.

Yet I cannot help but wonder if Brad watched Dougie play McDavid for three years, look completely overmatched each time, and simply concluded that he wasn't the guy we hoped he was.

Remember, Hamilton's acquisition upstaged McDavid's draft night. Part of that was Treliving's opportunism, part of it was Chiarelli's incompetence, but another part of it was 'we need someone who can play against McDavid for the next decade'.

Whatever you want to say about Hanifin, I don't think it's arguable that he has AT LEAST as much potential as Dougie, if not more. He's a 21 year old with three NHL seasons.
FWIW, last year the Flames CF% was only marginally better against McDavid without Hamilton on the ice than with. (39 vs 41). They were dramatically better with Brodie off the ice than with (32 vs 42). Though, of course, who knows what Brodie might have been able to do if Gultuzan hadn't broken him.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #769
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Just listened to Lindholm's end of the season interview. He said that he didn't like switching between centre and wing, that he likes and wants to play centre and that he should have been more clear about it. What position is he gonna play in Calgary - 4th line centre?

Honestly, I don't really understand this trade at all. We get a centre instead of an elite RW, who we desperately need. We get a defenseman who is comparable but not as good as the one we've given away. And we've given up an elite prospect. What am I missing here?
Riding shotgun to Gaudreau and Monahan may be a welcome change of scenery for young Elias
Old 06-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #770
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
I'm not as high on Hamilton as many here are. I have liked Hanafin since he was drafted. I don't think it will hurt our D at all. I liked Ferland, but he is a bottom 6 player and would not be playing on the first line on many teams in the NHL. We have a lot of depth on D prospects so we can afford to trade Fox. Remember - he hasn't done anything at the NHL level yet. So, overall, I like the trade. I think this is an improvement for the team.
My thoughts exactly. Ferland benefited from the players he played with, but belongs on the 2nd or 3rd line. I wish Ferland well and hope he succeeds in Carolina. Hamilton I feel will have a tough time in Carolina. I don't see a good Dman to bail him out when he blunders like he did defensively here in Calgary.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #771
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe Backlund becomes a 3rd line C to mark other lines. He's been doing both roles lately.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #772
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did any one listen to Tre interview with the fan he said fox wasn't going to sign and when they ask him if dougie asked for a trade said he would not speak about what they talked about .but it seems like that was the case and said ferland was the hard one give up
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krynn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #773
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
What does Fox have left to prove in NCAA? Why not make the jump to pro? Was it because he doesn't want to play in Calgary?
Treliving flat out said his “agent” let the Flames know he wasn’t going to sign in Calgary
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #774
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind Ferland going, but everything else going for what we're getting is poop in this trade. Don't like it at all.

Scoring defensemen, that are as young as Dougie, shouldn't be traded. And if so, should get more than marginal players that aren't stars themselves. We've regressed in defense for a hopeful bump in offense? Bad move.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #775
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gaudreau-Monahan-JVR
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Lazar-Shore-Foo/Brouwer

You are missing that Hanifin can be better than Hamilton and already is in some aspects. You are missing that Fox wasn't an elite prospect and wasn't signing here even if he was.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #776
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If...
Hamilton was a problem
And...
Fox wasn't signing here
Then...
I really like this trade. I think Lindholm will be great and I see Hanifin being another Brodie at this point so let's see how they look with a new coach.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #777
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1010615681916833792
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #778
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

First off.... maybe they do play him at 2/3 centre. You can’t say comparable but not as good.... it’s contradictory. I would argue that at 3 years younger Hanifin is better defensively then Hamilton. The “elite” prospect wasn’t going to sign here apparently. No one seems to think of the fact the 2 adds are recent top 5 picks in their draft years. We got high end young players that have played a lot of hockey already. I think Ferlands personal story makes it hard for some but he is very inconsistent.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #779
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1010615800963612672
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #780
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't like getting rid of Hamilton. Maybe the rumours of him not being liked much in the room in Boston are true, and it happened in Calgary too? Otherwise I can't see why a stud young dman would already be moved twice
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: