Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #2961
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I don't know ...

If I lost my car keys in the garage it would certainly look better if I turned the whole house upside down first before looking in the garage just to make sure everyone knows I'm working hard.

Isn't this what a large number of us were saying when it was time to fire Gulutzan? And didn't you tell us that your deep dives and analysis were better than ours because you worked harder to come up with the same conclusion many of us did 6 months to a year earlier simply by watching how bad the Flames were under GG? We didn't need a ton of advanced stats to show we were working hard or that we understood the game. We didn't need to go turn the house upside down. We needed to go into the garage, get the keys, and drive GG up to Edmonton.

Quote:
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #2962
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
The Devils have not had a harder schedule. Since coming back they’ve had one road game, and it was in Philly, and Bern was only 5 hours off NJ’s home time zone.

Oilers have not been on the road since they returned until this weekend.

I don’t think China is an excuse, but it might be a reason. In any event, comparisons should be actually made before simply suggesting NJ and Edm had harder schedules.
tkflames posted a chart showing the devils have faced tougher opposition as have the oilers. so it depends on how you define harder schedules.

maybe if someone could post the km traveled so far this season by teams in the pacific division, there might be something to the argument about travel.

I was just trying to refute the china trip being a valid excuse when the other teams that have traveled overseas seem to be doing fine.

Instead of trying to say China is a factor in the flames record, it would be more valid to look at goaltending. everything else being what it is, if the flames received even average goaltending the standings would be way different.

going back to carolina and the flames, the carolina goalies have a way better goals against average than smith but also have crappy sub .900 save percentages, correct?

so why are the flames bleeding goals and carolina isn't?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #2963
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I badly need the jersey in squiggs96's avatar.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #2964
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Adam Fox had 5 points in his first game of the season.

Its not worth worrying about Fox since he didn't want to sign with the Flames, but I wish he would've wanted to sign with the Flames. I think he is going to be really, really good and I can't help hoping he doesn't sign with the Canes because I don't want that trade to appear too lopsided. It's stupid, but that's how I feel.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #2965
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Isn't this what a large number of us were saying when it was time to fire Gulutzan? And didn't you tell us that your deep dives and analysis were better than ours because you worked harder to come up with the same conclusion many of us did 6 months to a year earlier simply by watching how bad the Flames were under GG? We didn't need a ton of advanced stats to show we were working hard or that we understood the game. We didn't need to go turn the house upside down. We needed to go into the garage, get the keys, and drive GG up to Edmonton.
Yeah that's my posting style. I constantly tell people that my analysis is better than theirs and that I work harder than them.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #2966
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's my posting style. I constantly tell people that my analysis is better than theirs and that I work harder than them.
I mean not directly, but yeah you kind of implied it all last year.

I know you don't see it, but it's been pointed out before.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #2967
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

There goes Nik-, pointing to perceived implications. Well done nik. Well done.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #2968
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post

I think it's fairly normal to get exasperated by people literally getting angry at a single lone voice in an argument.

I think I have a pretty good track record of treating people with respect, not name calling, and certainly not suggesting I'm smarter or working harder than others. I'm human though so yeah there has to be that 5% margin of error out there.

You've been poking at me for months though, so I get it ... don't like the Bingo. At least you don't make it hard to discern, being accused of being on the team payroll leaves little to the imagination. Maybe you don't see that?
Old 10-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #2969
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't recall that tone from his posts at all.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #2970
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
This is pretty unfair. The numbers were saying the Flames system was good but the players were bad. I don't think Gulutzan is a bad coach.

Take the following with the acknowledgement that we are just 10 games in.

I think we can all agree that the actual roster is significantly improved this year as compared to last, right?

Here are some team statistics from the first 11 games last year vs. this year:

GG Flames:
  • Wins: 5
    GF: 25
    GA: 32
    PP%: 15
    PK%: 76.6
    Faceoff%: 47.8

Peters Flames:
  • Wins: 5
    GF: 36
    GA: 39
    PP%: 15.6
    PK%: 71.8
    Faceoff%: 52.5

The Flames have definitely improved, but we already knew that because we answered in the affirmative that the quality of players on the roster were much better this year.

In my estimation it would be hard to get that roster to be any better than it was.

The difference between this year and last year will be that the Flames will score more goals in more situations that get them back into earning a point or forcing an OT for a 3-3 win. If they can get a loser point in 1 of every 10 games more than last years roster could, this will be a playoff team.

Interesting to note as well that this roster has taken 8 less minor penalties as compared to this time last year, while the Power Play has scored just 1 more goal this year as compared to last. The difference so far has been a whopping 10 more even strength goals this year as compared to last.

There are quite simply more goals in the lineup to work with for Peters.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #2971
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

edit: actually, it doesn't matter

Last edited by nik-; 10-29-2018 at 11:29 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #2972
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I actually don't dislike you at all. I do dislike your implications that people who come to conclusions without doing a ridiculous amount of stat diving as having inferior positions as a result. Again, I don't think you're doing it with explicit intent, but you are doing it.

Like squiggs96 posted before, a lot of people came to the same Gulutzan conclusion as you eventually did way earlier. How many times did the "level headed approach" and "even keeled" type dismissals get levied at those people last year?

Overall you do treat people with respect, but in the last while (a season or so?) you've become tunneled in some advanced stat burrow and have pretty dismissive of posters who don't "deep dive" to your satisfaction. It was a pretty abrupt advanced stat switch for you, and I just don't get where it came from.
You can have an opinion on what my intentions are, but that's it. So no ... "you are doing it" is an over step that you simply don't get.

We could go back and read the whole Gulutzan debate, both would find examples. My summary of it was a team with great possession stats not scoring and with that it's more than just a coach sucks and fire him. People got pretty heated that I wasn't onside and there were numerous "Deep dive" drive bys leveled.

And for the record I have never "arrived" at that mass opinion that Gulutzan just sucked.

And for the rest ... advanced stats have a come a long way. I'm a trader and I'm always adding information to help me make informed decisions on my positions. It's worked out well. Adding advanced stats to the eye test just brings more depth to what's going on. Why would I ignore that? If someone says the Flames were outplayed every game and an objective counter says the opposite how is that not good information to bring to the table?

If you level "on the take" assertions at people you don't dislike I'd sure hate to be on your hate list.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #2973
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with you.

Quote:
Actually no ...

"Many of us" have been jumping to the conclusion without doing the analysis at all.
Quote:
Show my your analysis then.
Quote:
41?

That's somewhat disingenuous to what's been said. The Flames were something like -5 on March 1st before everything hit the fan.
Quote:
Maybe you're the smartest guy in the room!

Standings are the bottom line, but they're not the be all and end all of analysis when it comes to rosters and coaches in any organisation worth it's salt.
Quote:
You're wrong to number defenseman like that, and I think you know it.
Quote:
I came into this in January when I was looking at the Flames and their scoring chance totals.
Quote:
Another example of bad assumptions (no sweeter to take Smith), coupled with superficial analysis (all players are goals and assists and +-), to get crippling inadequate results.

We should create an annual "I'm glad you're not the GM" award
Quote:
OK.

I'd hope that a hockey ops group would go a little deeper than your 1,2,3 analysis, but what ever floats your boat.

Sorry to get in the way of your "I have everything figured out" parade.
Quote:
What is subjective about counting every shot attempt in a specific zone on the ice?

Its the very definition of objective.

You don't have to like the measure, but call it what it is.

Quote:
But the second you step out of the objective and into the subjective, for me the analysis dies.
Other do too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
In short, I trust Bingo's conclusion far more than yours because he did the work to understand the problem objectively. Just because you were too lazy to support your conclusion doesn't mean we should give it the same validity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Because according to what I read in this thread, unless you've actually punched the corsi numbers, you aren't taking everything into account, which nullifies my opinion. According to Bingo.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #2974
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man if I had a dollar for everytime this "on the take" thing came up, I could probably donate $20 to CP.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #2975
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

^^

You're not big into context huh?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #2976
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Man if I had a dollar for everytime this "on the take" thing came up, I could probably donate $20 to CP.
You'd certainly have $4 from me bringing it up!

It's a pretty serious allegation to make, so I think I have another 4-5 coming so hold your horses.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #2977
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This is pretty unfair. The numbers were saying the Flames system was good but the players were bad. I don't think Gulutzan is a bad coach.

I think GG is a terrible coach. I'm glad he's in Edmonton. I hope McLellan gets fired and they promote GG to head coach. I also wasn't high on Peters. He wasn't one of my top choices. I hope he works out, and I'm cheering for him, but whether he works out or not does not mean GG was a good coach. If Peters fails with this roster that doesn't mean GG was good.

One thing to point out is Peters first 11 games is that it's his first 11 games with the Flames, while GG already had 86 games the previous year.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 11:47 AM   #2978
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You'd certainly have $4 from me bringing it up!

It's a pretty serious allegation to make, so I think I have another 4-5 coming so hold your horses.
I dunno about a serious allegation. It's just a sports team forum, and he made a passing comment about you being in bed with the team because of the hard stance you were taking.

It's not like he accused you of making millions off insider trading or something serious like that.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #2979
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
That's not even close to what anyone is saying ... pretty sure you know it.

There are times when an executive comes available downtown and an oil company just brings him in. He has a relationship with existing management and a resume that the CEO is comfortable with.

There are times when a guy retires and you have no replacement person in mind so you do an extensive search.

If the former is the case, holding an extensive search isn't required.

This shouldn't be such a debate.

And to the skepticism and doubt? Many have said it's all on Treliving for making the hire, but so full on skepticism and doubt. But the process questioning is needless if he knew who he was going to hire.
Eh? Questioning the process would extend to whatever led to Treliving’s belief that no additional interviews were required, and to land on Peters as the answer long before asking of other coaches what their answers would be to the question of “What would you do with this group?”

I really don’t get what you’re saying here... there should be no debate about not following a typical head coach hiring process?
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #2980
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^^

You're not big into context huh?

If this is directed towards me, it's another example.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: