Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #3441
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I would do Hamonic and Sam
Shame this shows at the top of the page with no context.

Maybe they are in to it.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that
Old 10-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #3442
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

^It's Shameless
Old 10-11-2018, 01:36 AM   #3443
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Shame this shows at the top of the page with no context.

Maybe they are in to it.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that
Now it's showing up at the top of two pages.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yep, the Flames don't have many tradable assets. If they do make a major trade, it should be to acquire a young goaltender. This would cost the Flames quite a bit, so they can't go around wasting assets for the sake of making trades.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 07:01 AM   #3444
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd do hamonic and Bennett for nylander, but our d would be weak and we'd have no room to go for an upgrade in net.

Ryan contract looks pretty crummy with dubes emergence! Him and frolik are like 8 mil on our 4th line
Old 10-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #3445
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would trade Hamonic in a heartbeat. I've seen enough of him to feel I don't want the Flames to re-sign him for long term at a higher salary as I feel he's one of the more overrated defensemen in the league.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #3446
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would trade Hamonic in a heartbeat. I've seen enough of him to feel I don't want the Flames to re-sign him for long term at a higher salary as I feel he's one of the more overrated defensemen in the league.
Hamonic is underrated if anything, especially on this board, I guess because he's a defensive defenceman.

As for contracts, he's 30 when the current one is done. I doubt he makes much more than he does right now, or is signed for more than, say, three years by anyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #3447
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nylander for Bennett and Hamonic is an easy yes. I doubt the Leafs would be interested. (EDIT: I guess with the caveat that Nylander's contract request is somewhat reasonable, if he is asking for 8M+ without budging then no thanks).

Depending on the Seattle expansion timeline, it's likely that Hamonic would be up for grabs anyways depending on the re-signing:

Gaudreau
Monahan
Tkachuk
Lindholm
Backlund
Neal (if he doesn't regress much since then, otherwise protect one of the players down below)
Bennett

Left exposed: Jankowski, Mangiapane, potentially Dube.

Hanifin
Valimaki (if required)
Andersson (potentially Brodie if re-signed)

Left exposed: Hamonic depending on contracts and timeline, Kylington

(Giordano will be 37+)

But switch Bennett with Nylander in that list, and give them the choice of a Jankowski/Kylington and it looks a lot better.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 10-11-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #3448
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jiri is right - Flames need to use those assets for a goalie, not a forward.
While this is total fantasy, what if something like this could happen:

Flames send Leafs Hamonic + a younger, cost controlled forward (Bennett, Jankowski, etc.)

Leafs send Predators Nylander

Predators send Flames Saros

Then picks where it needs to be evened out.

Predators have a glut on D, Rinne is still elite, but their forward unit would benefit from adding Nylander

Flames determine their rookies (Valimaki, Andersson, Dube) make some guys redundant long term

Leafs get the D they need, add cost controlled forward depth they need with a heavy top end to their forward unit

I doubt that Nashville trades their heir apparent in net unless it is a strong return, but adding Nylander and making a run behind Rinne may be what they feel pushes them over the top to finally win it all this year.
The Flames can still be competitive this year with this trade, but it ultimately positions them to be competitive for the long term.
The Leafs balance their roster and trade from a position of strength

A fantasy, but the outline of what could be a win-win-win deal
Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #3449
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rinne's 35 and a UFA. I doubt the Preds are looking at moving Saros. I think you said it yourself, Preds have a glut on D. That's the assets (other than futures) they would be looking at moving before Saros (unless they sour on Saros).
Old 10-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #3450
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
Jiri is right - Flames need to use those assets for a goalie, not a forward.
While this is total fantasy, what if something like this could happen:

Flames send Leafs Hamonic + a younger, cost controlled forward (Bennett, Jankowski, etc.)

Leafs send Predators Nylander

Predators send Flames Saros

Then picks where it needs to be evened out.

Predators have a glut on D, Rinne is still elite, but their forward unit would benefit from adding Nylander

Flames determine their rookies (Valimaki, Andersson, Dube) make some guys redundant long term

Leafs get the D they need, add cost controlled forward depth they need with a heavy top end to their forward unit

I doubt that Nashville trades their heir apparent in net unless it is a strong return, but adding Nylander and making a run behind Rinne may be what they feel pushes them over the top to finally win it all this year.
The Flames can still be competitive this year with this trade, but it ultimately positions them to be competitive for the long term.
The Leafs balance their roster and trade from a position of strength

A fantasy, but the outline of what could be a win-win-win deal
Why wouldn't the Preds just skip the middleman and trade one of their D? Say, Ellis?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #3451
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Why wouldn't the Preds just skip the middleman and trade one of their D? Say, Ellis?
Who they just signed for 8 years?
They have traded D for a long time now, they need to hold steady.

They have an elite top 4, but it drops off (long term) after that

Last edited by Imported_Aussie; 10-11-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #3452
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they aren't up for moving a defenseman and trade their potential goaltender of the future

Then when Seattle comes around they protect:

Subban
Josi (assuming re-signed)
Ekholm
Ellis
Forsberg
Nylander
Johansen
Turris

Losing Arvidsson on an amazing contract on top of their goaltender would be a huge unneeded blow. Unless it was all but guaranteeing them the Cup, it doesn't make a ton of sense.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #3453
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What exactly is it about Nylander that everyone wants him bad enough to upset the Flames salary structure and give up multiple assets (depleting our depth)???

The comparisons I have seen put him in the middle of that group (Pasternak, Elhers), not so far above that he is a superstar. If anything he benefited from playing with a generational player (Matthews).

The only real question you should be asking is - Is Nylander good enough to be the highest paid Flames Player? (If he was willing to sign for less than $7 mil he would have by now.)

I see this as a lot of Flames fans buying into the Toronto hype and hoping to make an Oiler move.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #3454
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
If they aren't up for moving a defenseman and trade their potential goaltender of the future

Subban
Ekholm
Ellis
Forsberg
Nylander
Johansen
Turris

Losing Arvidsson on an amazing contract on top of their goaltender would be a huge unneeded blow. Unless it was all but guaranteeing them the Cup, it doesn't make a ton of sense.
They would expose Turris IMO. He has not really produced while in Nashville and would be more expendable.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #3455
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Grant (PIT) & Taormina (CAL) on waivers
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...54669215576065
Old 10-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #3456
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

Subban
Ekholm
Ellis
Forsberg
Nylander
Johansen
Turris

They would keep Arvidsson over Turris.
Still a decent blow, but they've lost better players to FA in the past.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #3457
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Interesting question about Nylander and Toronto hype.

There was a nice mud slinging article, with a book excerpt, basically suggesting that Nylander comes from a father who was known as a me first guy, not a great teammate, and that the apple may not fall far from the tree.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...liam-nylander/

* Side complaint about the company that makes iPhone. Autocorrect should not capitalize the name of a fruit used in context.

Hamonic as well. Interesting to see such diverging opinions. Leafs were in hard on him as well. I do not see him being an impact player on the ice here, living up to the hype of a top pair D man. They don’t seem to be missing him. Certainly not so much impactful on the ice as in the community.

I think that the Flames might taking in to account character at this point in time, especially considering the comments around the Hamilton trade.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #3458
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There was a nice mud slinging article, with a book excerpt, basically suggesting that Nylander comes from a father who was known as a me first guy, not a great teammate, and that the apple may not fall far from the tree.

* Side complaint about the company that makes iPhone. Autocorrect should not capitalize the name of a fruit used in context.

Hamonic as well. Interesting to see such diverging opinions. Leafs were in hard on him as well. I do not see him being an impact player on the ice here, living up to the hype of a top pair D man. They don’t seem to be missing him. Certainly not so much impactful on the ice as in the community.

I think that the Flames might taking in to account character at this point in time, especially considering the comments around the Hamilton trade.
I don't think that was the hype. Otherwise his contract would look a lot different.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #3459
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think that was the hype. Otherwise his contract would look a lot different.
His contract was a 7 year deal signed years ago

Whenever Toronto is in on a player, the hype is that the person is the best available at what they do.

Then when Toronto fails to get the player, they have dodged a bullet.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #3460
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Nylander strikes me as the type of player that will get moved around a lot in his career. The funny thing is I was a big fan of his father, and I'm a big fan of him as a player. I just like how they play in the offensive end of the ice. Such elite instincts.
But both are flawed players.
Nyladner is in a tough spot right now. His primary role is to provide offense, but the Leafs have no need for that. He has very little leverage.

He's not a guy I would overpay for though. He could be a Phil Kessel type where he is a great complimentary player on a team where there are a couple of guys that really drive the player and play committed hockey.

But if he's a guy you are leaning on as a top guy - you may be in trouble.

And there's the rub. He wants top guy money.
Closed Thread