Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default More allegations of hazing in major junior hockey

Yaroslav Alexeyev gives some graphic details about his time in Sherbrooke

https://twitter.com/user/status/1140041856660770816
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Deeply disturbing. If this is true, then people should be charged. It’s adult men sexually assaulting teenagers.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:16 AM   #3
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

So disturbing. Absolutely disgusting. My son is maybe on the path to high level hockey, but this sort of stuff makes me want to take him out of it.

As mentioned above, I am thinking the only way to end this garbage is to criminally charge anyone involved everytime it happens. Wrecking a few lives of these predators will serve as an example, should end this behavior, and save countless other lives from this abuse.

Last edited by Draug; 06-18-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Draug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't care what anyone says, this is 100% on the coaching staff and team management. They obviously would have an idea veteran players are pulling this kind of bs and if they aren't creating an environment where players can step up and say something about stuff like this, it's even worse.

As soon as teams start cutting and blacklisting losers who are committing these acts on their own teammates and firing/blacklisting coaches who are looking the other way, the culture will change. Criminal charges are one thing (and warranted) but to reset this ongoing cycle, JR hockey needs to dramatically improve itself and how it polices the people that are supposed to be looking out for these kids during the season.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I don't care what anyone says, this is 100% on the coaching staff and team management. They obviously would have an idea veteran players are pulling this kind of bs and if they aren't creating an environment where players can step up and say something about stuff like this, it's even worse.

As soon as teams start cutting and blacklisting losers who are committing these acts on their own teammates and firing/blacklisting coaches who are looking the other way, the culture will change. Criminal charges are one thing (and warranted) but to reset this ongoing cycle, JR hockey needs to dramatically improve itself and how it polices the people that are supposed to be looking out for these kids during the season.
To understand the nature of this problem you have to understand it's not limited to one or two teams in one or two minor leagues.

It's been a pervasive problem in Canadian Junior hockey for 25+ years.

The federal government should be sanctioning the league at this point, not leave it up to individual team administrators.

If you can't run a sports league for minors without rampant sexual assault you can't run a sports league. Not letting 16 year olds get raped during team building activities isn't exactly a high ####ing bar.

It's absolutely appalling. This should be a national scandal.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
So disturbing. Absolutely disgusting. My son is maybe on the path to high level hockey, but this sort of stuff makes me want to take him out of it.

As mentioned above, I am thinking the only way to end this garbage is to criminally charge anyone involved everytime it happens. Wrecking a few lives of these predators will serve as an example, should end this behavior, and save countless other lives from this abuse.
Yeah and the real problem is that when stories like this come out Canadian Junior Hockey and other groups try to make it seem like a one off incident - which it's not.

I've had friends play high level in the NCAA, WHL, etc and most of them have similar stories of hazing or rituals on their teams. One friend who was a highly rated goalie that had NCAA offers just quit all together because he was sick of it.

The worst part of the whole thing really though is it's not just limited to hockey - it's become part of that toxic culture that seems to grow in young male dominated professions.

I've heard of horrible hazing (not sexual assualt related like in this case) close to home in both our Fire & Police Departments, but whenever those start to become even a little public they are quickly swept under the rug. Usually they just will transfer the person who actually complains to another hall/department, and hope that it just works it self out.

As a whole there needs to be more accountability on the organizations when hazing rituals are exposed.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is with these guys and butts?

This isnt hazing. This is rape.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

This is an important point. I think that overall the issue is being treated more seriously than in the past but the media should be calling this what it is. Sexual Assault.

The original tweet should be:
Yaroslav Alexeyev goes into graphic detail of sexual assault incidents in his time in the QMJHL in an interview with the Russian site Sports-Express
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #9
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
To understand the nature of this problem you have to understand it's not limited to one or two teams in one or two minor leagues.

It's been a pervasive problem in Canadian Junior hockey for 25+ years.

The federal government should be sanctioning the league at this point, not leave it up to individual team administrators.

If you can't run a sports league for minors without rampant sexual assault you can't run a sports league. Not letting 16 year olds get raped during team building activities isn't exactly a high ####ing bar.

It's absolutely appalling. This should be a national scandal.
I never said it should be up to team administrators. I said the coaching, management and specific teams need to be penalized, harshly. The coach of this team should never coach again for allowing this crap to go on (or acting like he didn't know something was up). Any decent human would certainly know that something isn't right with a bunch of rookies who were just treated like that a day or two before. Disgusting. Even more so if the numb-skull is actually so oblivious that he truly didn't know anything. Same goes for the management.

Coaches and management are the ones who are around the team, interacting with players on a daily basis. It's appalling that the adults who are charged with literally running the team, turning these kids into pros can somehow escape blame. They are as bad, if not worse than the players committing these acts if you ask me. It is the job of each and every employee of these teams to be running a functional and respectful team, especially when you have children who are part of the equation.

If these teams can't or are unwilling to create environments that are safe, functional team spaces, they should be stripped of their status until they prove they are willing to take it seriously. Enough already. You know there are certainly worse things going on that nobody knows about yet and much of this is because of the team culture or lack thereof these teams allow bad coaches and management to foster.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-18-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

wasn't trying to put words in your mouth Flatus, just that in my opinion it's not 100% on coaching and management, it's an issue in the sport across leagues.

coaches and management certainly deserve blame though.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
wasn't trying to put words in your mouth Flatus, just that in my opinion it's not 100% on coaching and management, it's an issue in the sport across leagues.

coaches and management certainly deserve blame though.
Not at all. Just fired up about this crap continuing to go on. I'd imagine this will just fade into obscurity like the last incident too.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #12
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

As they often say, rape is mostly about power. In other words, displays of dominance. Sexuality, violence and social humiliation are three prime paths to displaying dominance over others. It's why hazings so very, very often combine at least two in some way.

Violently sticking something up someone else's butt is a really easy way to do all three.

The need to prominently display dominance is of course important because dominance is, unfortunately, seen by many as a the most important part of masculinity, and few things tend to be as important to young men as proving their masculinity.

It's what some would call the toxic parts of our idea of masculinity. In many people's eyes, being able to hurt someone makes you more of a man, being able to humiliate someone makes you more of a man, and being able to sexually dominate someone definitely makes you more of a man.

Hence, sticking a broom up someone's butt makes sad little ####heads feel more like men. Pathetic, but not rare, and very much a symptom of larger cultural issues around masculinity.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #13
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope some charges are brought from this. Just disgusting
Old 06-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #14
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see charges brought on this as well and finally see all this BS blown out of the water. A landslide of cases like this would do wonders to try and wipe the slate clean of people who allow this and stick in the mind of more young players that it's a straight up. And a disgusting, violent one at that.

Absolutely 100% should be charged as sexual assault.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #15
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those exact incidents have been happening for decades. I quit hockey at the age of 11 because my older neighbour told me what happened to him and I was too scared to risk it happening to me.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me among many to be glad I was never involved in any of this kind of stuff.

Oh the new guy always gets a little stick and there are pranks like being left to pay for a round of beers or being told that practice is actually an hour earlier than it really was or that it was somewhere different like a Girls' Volleyball practice.

But this stuff.....this is.....this is illegal. If I found out my players were doing this to each other......I'd be livid and put an immediate stop to it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 06-18-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #17
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played for the first 20 years of my life and must have lucked out, there was definitely hazing but more what I would call 'pranks' like the classic tape on the skate blade, or cut laces, stuff like that. Or making the new guy carry your equipment, that sort of thing, but at the end of the day these guys were still your teammates and if anyone thought up this kind of crap they would have been slapped across the head. You definitely heard these stories along the way and I'm glad I was never a part of any of it. Like you all said, this isn't hazing, it's sexual assault

Last edited by btimbit; 06-18-2019 at 12:28 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Played for the first 20 years of my life and must have lucked out, there was definitely hazing but more what I would call 'pranks' like the classic tape on the skate blade, or cut laces, stuff like that. Or making the new guy carry your equipment, that sort of thing, but at the end of the day these guys were still your teammates and if anyone thought up this kind of crap they would have been slapped across the head. You definitely heard these stories along the way and I'm glad I was never a part of any of it. Like you all said, this isn't hazing, it's sexual assault
Hazing has a very strong negative connotation to it, and its earned it through nonsense like this.

I'll never get this. I just dont understand.

At the end of the day these are your teammates. You want them to go to War for you and fight in the trenches for you, I dont see where treating them like.....well like this...accomplishes any of that.

I was a Youth Soccer coach for damned near a decade at every skill level and you know what we did?

Paintball. Laser Tag. Pizza. Video games. Scrimmages.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #19
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would have to be naive to think that adults around them don't know what is going on and ignore it or cover it up. It's not like this is the first generation doing this and a lot of the parents went through the same system (or know people who did).
Old 06-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
You would have to be naive to think that adults around them don't know what is going on and ignore it or cover it up. It's not like this is the first generation doing this and a lot of the parents went through the same system (or know people who did).
You would think somebody would know something, but I dont always know.

One of the things I constantly did was let my players off the leash from time to time. Unstructured relaxing time, this is during major tournaments to let off a little steam.

So its possible that this kind of stuff could have happened without the Coach's knowledge but I very strongly doubt it.

Then again, I come from the school of thought where your coach is your General and if you do anything that you think he would disapprove of then the punishment is basically the Wrath of God. I'm talking about opening the Ark of the Covenant type stuff. You know. Old Testament.