Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #121
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
All three of those players are top-line centres on most teams in the NHL. I would go as far to say that Malkin is the top centre on EVERY NHL team other than Pittsburgh, and maybe Edmonton.
That's exactly my point. Even though they are extreme examples. Me saying that Monahan would be better suited as a 2nd line center is just due to looking at the trend of recent cup winners around the league. If that's the goal, he isn't nearly good enough
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #122
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
No wonder you're asking others to define your stance. You can't even keep track of it yourself. You're moving goalposts all over the place.
Not really. I was speaking relatively to other first line centers around the league. Compared to the average player like say a Michael Frolik, he's a shooter and has way better puck skills and instincts, but is slower worse defensively.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #123
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
That's exactly my point. Even though they are extreme examples. Me saying that Monahan would be better suited as a 2nd line center is just due to looking at the trend of recent cup winners around the league. If that's the goal, he isn't nearly good enough
The trend of Cup winners around the league is to ice two top-line centres. The Flames have one, so I would agree that they could use another. That is different from asserting over and over that Monahan is best suited as a second line centre, and I would counter in that in point of fact he most certainly is good enough to be one of the two on a team with Cup aspirations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #124
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The trend of Cup winners around the league is to ice two top-line centres. The Flames have one, so I would agree that they could use another. That is different from asserting over and over that Monahan is best suited as a second line centre, and I would counter in that in point of fact he most certainly is good enough to be one of the two on a team with Cup aspirations.
Before LA won the cup I suspect you wouldn't find Kopitar on Love's list of elite centres.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #125
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just checking Monahan's progress after 15 games and being named 1st star of the week...

With 18 points in 15 contests, Monahan is on pace for 98 points, which would actually be better than Iggy's 96.

We'll see.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #126
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

I like the comparison between Monahan and Iginla. It goes to show how productive Monahan has been, and is a tribute to his goal scoring abilities. He has a knack for the net, and he has been extremely consistent. Iginla and Monahan both share this attribute.

However the biggest difference in my opinion, is when Iginla came into the league, it was still a game for men. There was way more hitting, way more rough stuff, way more clutching and grabbing. Essentially the game was way slower, and goals were hard to come by. He had to fight through a lot to get to the net, let alone get a shot off. The goaltenders were just as good as they are today, but they had bigger, bulkier equipment as well.

Monahan plays in the new NHL era where the League has basically done everything in their power to maximize goal production. (Smaller goalie equipment, more power plays, penalties are called for coughing on another player). Monahan also has one of the most elusive playmakers in the game playing along side him for his entire career minus his first season, and that is huge for getting high scoring chances.

Either way, Monahan is thriving in this league, and I think its amazing that he can even be compared to Iginla for goal scoring abilities.

Other than scoring goals, Iginla and Monahan are polar opposites on how they played the game.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iggy Snipe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #127
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than points there is no comparison. Iginla was intimidating, and other players didn't mess with him because he could, and would, beat the crap out of anyone. Has Mony even been in a scrap in his career yet?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #128
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Other than points there is no comparison. Iginla was intimidating, and other players didn't mess with him because he could, and would, beat the crap out of anyone. Has Mony even been in a scrap in his career yet?
They actually did the opposite. It was more like don't wake the giant kinda thing. Let him get some shots and hope he doesn't score. Engaging him just kicked his game into a higher gear.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phagoof For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #129
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Phagoof View Post
They actually did the opposite. It was more like don't wake the giant kinda thing. Let him get some shots and hope he doesn't score. Engaging him just kicked his game into a higher gear.
Isn't that kind of what I said?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #130
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Top two centers by year:

2004: Lecavlier and Richards
2006: Staal and Brind'amour (age 36)
2007: Getzlaf and McDonald
2008: Datsyuk and Zetterberg
2009: Crosby and Malkin
2010: Toews and Sharp
2011: Bergeron and Krejci
2012: Kopitar and Richards
2013: Toews and Handzus/Sharp
2014: Kopitar and Carter
2015: Toews and Richards/Sharp
2016: Crosby and Malkin
2017: Crosby and Malkin
2018: Backstom and Kuznetsov

It helps to have to two top centers. It's not necessary though. I think its probably more accurate two say: you need to lines that can consistently score. And I think having Tkachuk on the second line accomplishes that.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #131
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Top two centers by year:

2004: Lecavlier and Richards
2006: Staal and Brind'amour (age 36)
2007: Getzlaf and McDonald
2008: Datsyuk and Zetterberg
2009: Crosby and Malkin
2010: Toews and Sharp
2011: Bergeron and Krejci
2012: Kopitar and Richards
2013: Toews and Handzus/Sharp
2014: Kopitar and Carter
2015: Toews and Richards/Sharp
2016: Crosby and Malkin
2017: Crosby and Malkin
2018: Backstom and Kuznetsov

It helps to have to two top centers. It's not necessary though. I think its probably more accurate two say: you need to lines that can consistently score. And I think having Tkachuk on the second line accomplishes that.
Sharp played wing and Richard played C, but you are correct. The Hawks could split the offence by putting Kane on a different line.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #132
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

So last time I checked in, Monahan was on pace for 98 points. I regret to inform you all, the young man has regressed since then.

With 38 points in 32 games, Sean Monahan is now on pace for 97 points.

We keep playing games, and 23 keeps going shot for shot with 12. I don't know what else to say other than there's more than one way to skin a cat.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #133
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a better comparison for Monahan is with Nieuwendyck.

I think Nieuwendyck went to the dirty places in front of the net a bit more than Monahan does.

But when either of them is in that position, they have the soft hands to score almost at will.

I think Nieuwendyck was better at faceoffs.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #134
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Iggy played with Bums... Imagine prime Iggy and Prime gaudreau. Iggy was also during this point in his career the best player on the planet(24-26 or 27). He was the complete package.

Love Monny and think hes a hell of a good player but Iggy was borderline generational player status which Monny will never be.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #135
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Iggy played with Bums... Imagine prime Iggy and Prime gaudreau. Iggy was also during this point in his career the best player on the planet(24-26 or 27). He was the complete package.

Love Monny and think hes a hell of a good player but Iggy was borderline generational player status which Monny will never be.

Agree, Monahan is great and think he does not get enough love at times.

But Iggy definitely was generational. Monahan is not...that is not a knock against him as very few players are generational.

Last edited by redforever; 12-13-2018 at 04:58 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #136
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iggy would for sure win in a fight against Monahan. Beat his ass so silly, I doubt Monahan even gets a punch in.

However Monahan has a much better hair flow. Drives girls crazy at da club.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #137
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I think a better comparison for Monahan is with Nieuwendyck...
I don't really think that is the point of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
...Love Monny and think hes a hell of a good player but Iggy was borderline generational player status which Monny will never be.
Neither is this.

The point of this thread is to track Monahan's production against that of the greatest player ever to play for the Flames. Does this mean that anyone thinks Monahan is or will be as good of a player as Iginla? No. All it means is that he produces at an eerily similar clip for various reasons. It also means that Monahan—while not as good as Iginla—is a damn good player in his own right.

That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #138
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why does it feel like a group of Flames fans WANT Monahan to be bad? Similar to Sam Bennett and Mike Smith. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, it just feels like people made a decision about someone, and now they want that person to fail to prove they are smart, rather than wanting that person to succeed and make the Flames better.
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jessnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #139
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnuts View Post
Why does it feel like a group of Flames fans WANT Monahan to be bad? Similar to Sam Bennett and Mike Smith. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, it just feels like people made a decision about someone, and now they want that person to fail to prove they are smart, rather than wanting that person to succeed and make the Flames better.
It's like, five people. They're just loud.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #140
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnuts View Post
I find that Monahan is just criminally underrated.

He isnt overly flashy but hes always where he needs to be and he produces.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote