Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 10-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #2761
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dougie
2 assists in 4 games with a +2 in 18:31 TOI

Ferland
2 goals and 3 assists in 4 games with a +5 in 14:42 TOI

Hanifin
1 assist in 3 games with a -1 in 21:01 TOI

Lindholm
3 goals and 1 assist in 3 games with a -2 in 21:20 TOI

This could really be a rare win-win type of trade when it's all said and done.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #2762
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Dougie
2 assists in 4 games with a +2 in 18:31 TOI

Ferland
2 goals and 3 assists in 4 games with a +5 in 14:42 TOI

Hanifin
1 assist in 3 games with a -1 in 21:01 TOI

Lindholm
3 goals and 1 assist in 3 games with a -2 in 21:20 TOI

This could really be a rare win-win type of trade when it's all said and done.
I think the win would be in whoever has these players producing for their current team as long as possible. Calgary makes out like bandits IMO.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #2763
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
Wow!

I was at home with the wife and the kids! Well apparently for some that is not a good reason. Not saying you said that but I have heard it before.

You have a superstar employee and you would fire him or her for missing a Christmas party?

Maybe the day before was a 14 hour work day. Spent 3 hours driving to and from work. Suppose to get 8 hours sleep a night. That is 25 hours in a 24 hour day. Not to mention shopping for a few hours for family needs.

I miss the Christmas party to be home with the family and you want to fire me?

Maybe I would just prefer to spend the 3 or 4 hours a Christmas party would take to be with my family. Before I have to do the same thing tomorrow.

Your example was terrible! It was awful, are you human?

Back to hockey! Hamilton was traded and there were issues there.

I am willing to bet missing a Christmas party was not one of them.

For all I know he attended the Christmas party. Maybe his secret santa gift was so wrong!

I am happy we made the trade!

P.S. Want me at next years Christmas Party pay me to attend. I only work with you people because it is a job. I love my family much more than any of you. Some I like lot, your not my family.

If this is antisocial, Damn I am living a dream!
Your example is terrible.
Dougie was not "fired" he was moved. It wasn't allegedly a single Christmas party, but multiple company functions.

A better parallel would be you have a superstar employee who was transferred out in favor of another younger and potentially equally gifted employee who who also gets along better with everyone.

Edit - and I like the trade too. Just picking on your example. Hope it wasn't too antagonistic.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #2764
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I think the win would be in whoever has these players producing for their current team as long as possible. Calgary makes out like bandits IMO.
Yup, as early as next year Calgary has the clear advantage, as Ferland will be a UFA. And in 3 years, Carolina loses control of Hamilton, as well.

Plus Hamilton and Ferland are already at their peak development-wise, while Lindholm and Hanifin are younger and still developing.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #2765
Flamette
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post

Plus Hamilton and Ferland are already at their peak development-wise, while Lindholm and Hanifin are younger and still developing.
I liked the trade as soon as it was announced, however I would hardly say Hamilton has peaked in his development. Would you say Giordano looked like a finished product at 25?
Flamette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamette For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #2766
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamette View Post
I liked the trade as soon as it was announced, however I would hardly say Hamilton has peaked in his development. Would you say Giordano looked like a finished product at 25?
Gio was a very late bloomer, and even spent a year in Europe when he was older than Hanifin is now. Defencemen peak on average at age 26, while performing within 90% or more of their peak between 24 and 34. I would argue that Hamilton was an early developer, and these players tend to hit their peaks earlier.

This is not to say that Hamilton is likely to decline any time soon, but rather that he is already about as good as he is going to get.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:17 PM   #2767
nickk382
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Say all you want, I would've given up a first round pick instead of Ferland in that trade. He is everything a team not only wants but needs.

Work ethic, hands, IQ, strength, balls, huge balls, balls of steel.

Last edited by nickk382; 10-10-2018 at 11:19 PM.
nickk382 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nickk382 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 11:23 PM   #2768
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickk382 View Post
Say all you want, I would've given up a first round pick instead of Ferland in that trade. He is everything a team not only wants but needs.

Speed, hands, IQ, strength, balls, huge balls, balls of steel.
And inconsistency. And pending UFA status. And another left hand shot on a team with far too many of them.

Our most recent 1st round selection was Valimaki. Would you have gladly given him up for a year of Ferland?

If the Flames really want Ferland that badly, they can sign him as a UFA in the offseason. But I don't think there will be room for him on the top 2 lines.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:25 PM   #2769
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
balls, huge balls, balls of steel.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:30 PM   #2770
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Work ethic, hands, IQ, strength, balls, huge balls, balls of steel.
Imo, the Carolina trade wouldn’t have happened if Ferland wasn’t involved. If this was anything like the Regher trade, sometimes, you have to give up something good to get a good return. Trying to trade Dougie alone wouldn’t have done much for us
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:05 AM   #2771
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Yup, as early as next year Calgary has the clear advantage, as Ferland will be a UFA. And in 3 years, Carolina loses control of Hamilton, as well.

I'd say no one involved in the exchange is at their peak yet.

Ferland has been on an steep upward trajectory the last couple seasons (despite inconsistency) and definitely has not yet plateaued. Hamilton probably has a little bit more to grow, but he's probably closest to his peak.

Hanifin needless to say is early in his development, and Lindholm looks like he's going to blow his career highs out of the water with the talent he's playing with now, looks like he has another level from his Carolina days.

I think because the Flames locked their guys down for 6 years at reasonable contracts, they probably benefit more long term than Carolina does. Depends on whether they can keep Ferland and what assets they manage to attain for Hamilton if they can't extend him in a couple seasons.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 01:31 AM   #2772
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamette View Post
If Hamilton takes his fitness remotely close to Gio's level he might still play at 35 and be effective. but I don't see it. More likely than not he'll be an overpaid has-been like Phaneuf once he hits his 30's
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:42 AM   #2773
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
If Hamilton takes his fitness remotely close to Gio's level he might still play at 35 and be effective. but I don't see it. More likely than not he'll be an overpaid has-been like Phaneuf once he hits his 30's
I think Bouwmeester is a better comparison. Still overpaid, but at least serviceable. I do still think Hamilton will still be slightly better, because the brain and shot tend to stick around longer than things like speed and physicality.

Out of everyone on the Flames, I think Gaudreau will probably have the longest career, as long as he can continue to stay healthy.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 04:34 AM   #2774
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Carolina is leading its division.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #2775
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post

Hypothetically, if one of my co-workers didn't show up at an end of year/christmas gathering or something, everyone would be wondering where they are and why they didn't show up to the event.
Then everyone needs to get a life.

Many people don't attend Christmas parties for a lot of varying reasons.

No one cares.

It's an employee's involvement in the workplace and his co-workers which is important as opposed to an off-site social event attended with your suppose etc.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #2776
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

really don't care about any of the off-ice stuff/rumours.

From an on-ice perspective, I think both teams might have won. Flames have got a RW who fits the top line like a glove and a young defenseman with elite potential, while Ferland has had a great start in Carolina and we all know what Dougie is capable of. Maybe Fox at some point tips it into the Canes' favour, but Ferland being a UFA is a factor here too.

It's extremely early, but I think there's a good chance that both teams got what they were looking for and therefore "won". And that's always fun to see, especially when it's a trade of that magnitude.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #2777
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

It's an employee's involvement in the workplace and his co-workers which is important as opposed to an off-site social event attended with your suppose etc.

Strongly disagree.

In a small, tight group (such as a hockey team), both are really important to high performing teams.

Obviously people miss stuff for variety of reasons and it’s not a big deal. But if someone’s consistently not participating in the team’s culture, people would and should care.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #2778
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Carolina is leading its division.
Calgary vs Carolina in the finals? Yeah, that would be insane...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #2779
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adam fox is the tipping point for me. If he turns out to be a top4 pp dman theh Carolina wins the trade. Saying that I still like what we got!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #2780
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Lindholm truly becomes a 60+ player that’s one of the best contracts in the league. Trying to re-sign Ferland and Tkachuk if both had a big years would’ve been very expensive as well.

I really don’t care who wins this trade, if the Flames become a much better team than last year it’s already a win for me.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post: