Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #261
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
An NHL loaded roster squeaked by most of the same German team 2-1 at the World Hockey Championships. God, your an embarrassment with your constant crying.
You should at least spell correctly if you're gonna try and fire back at me

It was a complete upset and something that shouldn't have come close to happening. I'm glad you don't think much of Canada's talent
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #262
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
It's funny, this will be the most successful Olympics as a country, but because our most visible teams - M/W Curling & M/W Hockey - underperformed, many people will feel this is a failure.

It's not.
The success on the medal table is even more impressive over the past three Olympics when you consider a tie for bronze in Sochi is the only medal Canada has won in an alpine or nordic event in that time.

As for the men's hockey, without the best I don't really care. Germany making it to the gold medal game is better for growing the game, so as a hockey fan I can take that for what it is. It isn't disappointing like the other under-performances were. We can't possibly hold this team to the same expectations as the ones with NHLers, or even the women or curling teams.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #263
josef
First Line Centre

Exp:

oh my god...this is unbelievable...never in my life i would have thought that the we could win a medal in the olympics...sooo awesome!!!
Old 02-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #264
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anything, this shows that Canada should invest some money and effort into a national team program so that players get some experience with one another and play better together. No one really knows if the NHL players will be back and having a team of NHL all stars shouldn't be plan A for a successful tournament.

Both the USA and Canada are in the same position right now.

I actually think that Canada could have had more success if they sent the World Junior's team because atleast they have experience playing together in December.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 02-23-2018 at 07:52 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:47 AM   #265
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if we win the bronze medal game we still get silver once Russia gets DQd for doping. So kinda gauranteed a medal.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Itse, V
Old 02-23-2018, 07:47 AM   #266
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
oh my god...this is unbelievable...never in my life i would have thought that the we could win a medal in the olympics...sooo awesome!!!
Exactly, I'm happy for Germany. Don't really care about C-grade Canada team.

Can't wait for the gold medal game!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #267
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
That argument makes sense for countries like Finland or Switzerland. Countries that don't have much depth outside of the NHL.

As for Canada, we're by far the greatest hockey nation on earth and sending our 23 best players outside of the NHL shouldn't drop our expectations. In fact, I would argue the NHL not going should've raised our expectations (minus OAR) if anything considering our talent depth outside of the NHL.
Actually, Canadian depth outside of the NHL is pretty piss poor. I don't think I realized how bad it was until this roster was named.

I expected Gold would be possible, but would be very tough on such a level playing field and with the team Russia was able to send.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #268
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

For the players individually, I hope they get Bronze. They've worked their assess off to represent us, and it would be great to earn some kind of reward, rather than scorn for being the D-listers hockey wise in this country.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #269
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Actually, Canadian depth outside of the NHL is pretty piss poor. I don't think I realized how bad it was until this roster was named.

I expected Gold would be possible, but would be very tough on such a level playing field and with the team Russia was able to send.
To us, it looks piss poor considering the talent we're used to. But when compared to all the other countries who had to find other players to replace NHL slots, we still looked pretty damn good.

I wasn't expecting us to be able to beat Russia but it should've been pretty smooth sailing to the Gold medal game
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #270
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey... our mens hockey team still beat the U.S., Finland and Sweden. Silver lining!
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #271
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

You have to like an underdog pulling off an upset with hard work. Although the highlights suggest Canada didn't show up for the first half.

I'm hoping Germany beats the Russians.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #272
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Disgusting hit by Brule.

And that will probably be the nail in the coffin for Canada.
Once an Oiler, always an Oiler. No good.

Last edited by chemgear; 02-23-2018 at 08:07 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #273
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, nothing in curling.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #274
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
To us, it looks piss poor considering the talent we're used to. But when compared to all the other countries who had to find other players to replace NHL slots, we still looked pretty damn good.

I wasn't expecting us to be able to beat Russia but it should've been pretty smooth sailing to the Gold medal game
I saw them as slightly better on paper than Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, and USA, but all in all on a pretty level field. I definitely didn't expect smooth sailing to a Canada/Russia gold medal game.

With more and more European countries trying to keep their talent developing at home it made it even more level.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #275
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Easy there. I may beat you at, say, a game of poker, but if I couldn’t make it and sent my dog over in my place, I’m pretty sure you would do just fine.

Rene Bourque under the leadership of Willie Desjardins. Just saying.
What a garbage post.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #276
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Germany took diving to a new level in the third. Not the typical hockey go down easy dives. These were full on Jurgen Klinsmann soccer flops. Go Russia.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #277
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Ray Ferraro is embarrassing. He sounds like he’s bitter that Canada will lose and is constantly and relentlessly talking about how the game is over. Super annoying.
He's been annoying for years. Also doesn't help he's done too many Oiler telecasts and has thus turned into an Oilers homer. I can't stand him
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #278
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Way to go Germany! They out of anyone else may be the most surprised to be playing for gold! Guaranteed medal for them.

With the NHL players out, the playing field is much more balanced between all teams. So Canada getting gold is not a big disappointment. In fact, it's refreshing to see other countries have a chance to win it.

In the long run, hopefully the quality of players from non dominant hockey nations continue to improve. Would be great to see more than four teams have a legit shot at winning the championships/gold.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #279
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
If anything, this shows that Canada should invest some money and effort into a national team program so that players get some experience with one another and play better together. No one really knows if the NHL players will be back and having a team of NHL all stars shouldn't be plan A for a successful tournament.

Both the USA and Canada are in the same position right now.

I actually think that Canada could have had more success if they sent the World Junior's team because atleast they have experience playing together in December.
I don't agree with this. Hockey is the most overfunded sport in Canada, plus we have a rich collection of amatuer coaches that make us the best in the world at this game. So much money and effort is invested in hockey that it is a detriment to other sports. its a professional game with corporate funding, and that will never change.

Personally I would not take any lessons from this game at all,if anything the new arrangement will make possible for the KHL/Russian teams to re-assert dominance in a Mickey Mouse tournament. If it does not change, we should just re-instate the hockey boycott that Canada used in the 1960s.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #280
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
It's funny, this will be the most successful Olympics as a country, but because our most visible teams - M/W Curling & M/W Hockey - underperformed, many people will feel this is a failure.

It's not.
Hockey with a team with Bourque and Raymond on it and Willie as the coach... . does it really matter? They should have brought the world Jr team over.

But curling.... blow it up!!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote