Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #641
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its so funny that they work together, because they really hated each other and took seperate sides in the Clone Wars.

Its well known that the Quarrens are the jerks of the galaxy.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #642
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I was surprised when the Quarrens seemed to be helping Mando on last week's episode.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #643
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Can't comment on this enough. The way this show manages to weave all the connections in is amazing. None seem forced, they're all just there, growing organically from the plot. They also don't do the "applause moment" every time an established character is introduced into the show. Everything seems so lived in as well. For example, in episode 3, how you had all the Quarrens and Mon Calamari just working as random fishermen and doc workers...well of course, they have squids for faces.
I was thinking that they just used the DavyJones spare costumes from pirates of the Caribbean.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #644
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Required viewing for those who are interested in her back story.
(up to date)

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #645
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There was a book that talked about her time after splitting off from Rex and fleeing into hiding, it was pretty well done, as she just wanted to be left alone to live a simple life without being a Jedi. But the Jedi weren't popular and people kept trying to turn her in, and she also kept getting into situation because of the Empire trying to establish itself.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #646
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So just a bump, tomorrow's episode is a double length episode and titled The Jedi and directed by Filoni

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #647
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So just a bump, tomorrow's episode is a double length episode and titled The Jedi and directed by Filoni
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #648
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

All I've heard about Ahsoka this season is that they put the same effort into hiding her appearance/reveal as they did Baby Yoda, they want to break the internet with her reveal was the words used by Favreau.

So don't come back into this thread until you've seen the episode!
Old 11-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #649
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

With it being Thanksgiving in the States, I was hoping they might do an early release of this week's episode, but no luck so far.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:03 AM   #650
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah!!!
Old 11-27-2020, 01:46 AM   #651
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, that was all I could have hoped for.

Rosario D'awesome.

The kid finally has a name...
Spoiler!
Old 11-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #652
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So some thoughts, I didn't know whether or not to spoil it but whatever.

Ok, overall a pretty solid episode. They really played up the gunfighter side of things with the quick draw thing on the street which I liked.

I'm not sure on the time line, but with Sabine not there, it throws the end scene of Rebels into play, and that this might have been return her picking up Sabine, but she now had a link to Thrawn. So this feels almost like a precurser to the Sabine and Ashoka search for Ezra quest.

Ok, Grogu, the Star Wars random name generator strikes again. Ashoka indicating that she had only seen one other like Grogu in Yoda? I guess poor Waddle gets forgotten.

Ashoka refusing to train Grogu because she saw what fear can to to a powerful Jedi Knight. I did predict that she wouldn't do it, those scars run deep.

HK droids, I wanted an HK-47.

Heading to Tython, bringing more Legends EU back and a key world in SWTOR, Filoni you bastard, sneaking in the EU Legends stuff.

Ok the gorilla in the room. It took me a long time in the episode to get me comfortable with RD as Ashoka. I'm, so used to the animated Ashley Eckstein portrayal and voice, that it was jarring how different this Ashoka was. I liked that they had a more mature Ashoka that seemed beaten down a bit and was far more serious. I think more work on the makeup, I just kept thinking Cosplay. I think the worst thing and its on me, I expected the impossible because of the animated Ashoka and how high speed and fluid she was, and the duel light sabre work looked in Rebels and Clone Wars. Through no fault of her own or the concept of live versus Animated, they couldn't hope to replicate it, but it was just way slower and at some times looked really clumsy with Dawson. I'm not saying I hate her, or yelling bring back Ashley, but I think I went in with too heightened of an expectation.

Overall I liked it, but Grogu, just call him kid, or the child.

Oh some other things. Go to Tython and sit on the rock and another Jedi will come, but there aren't many Jedi. So right now, there would probably be two Jedi, Luke and Leia, and whoever survived order 66. There aren't many in new Canon left. I heard a theory that I hate and hope it doesn't come true

Spoiler!

Old 11-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #653
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #654
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yaddle was not on the council following the events of The Phantom Menace, so it is entirely possible that Ahsoka never knew her and thus Yoda was the only kind of his species she knew.

I loved Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka by the end of the episode but it was jarring at first. Overall I thought the episode was fantastic. I really hope they’re setting up for an Ahsoka/Sabine show where they’re looking for Thrawn and Ezra.

Last edited by N-E-B; 11-27-2020 at 11:28 AM.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #655
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Spoiler!

Yaddle's dead, she died at some point between TPM and AOTC. I think it was confirmed that Nu was killed in the temple among her favorite books, but I could be wrong.

I have another theory

Spoiler!

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #656
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yaddle's dead, she died at some point between TPM and AOTC. I think it was confirmed that Nu was killed in the temple among her favorite books, but I could be wrong.

I have another theory

Spoiler!
I'm pretty sure Yaddle only died in legends, while her fait is still uncertain in canon. "Yaddle decided to take a less active role in Jedi affairs[8] and she had stepped down from the Council by the time of the Clone Wars." So Ahsoka didn't know her, but Yaddle definitely knew, and may even be related to, Grogu.

As for Nu, it's confirmed that she escaped from the Temple during the purge. She only came back and died later on.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #657
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved Dawson thought she was perfect. Thought she’d bring too much of herself into it, but I feel like you could tell she studied Ashoka’s mannerisms. Props to the wardrobe team too, they nailed it.

I’d agree with CC that her action scenes left something on the table due to how Ashoka moves in the animated form. I felt like they could have had at least one shot of her trademark sprint with the swords behind her. But I also thought that it’s not like anyone was giving her much of a challenge until the end. It kind of made sense for her to deal with everyone quite easily. The final battle was decently done. Again, the samurai feel was quite potent. The way the Majestry fought with the spear was weird though. And I do find her actions regarding Grogu surprising. While technically a child of his species, he’s older than both of them and has obviously seen worse trauma than being separated from the guy he spent time with for those few months. And if she’s afraid of what he becomes improperly trained, what if that is done under the Empire? A Jedi MIGHT come? What about a Sith?

But I think this may have been my favourite of the series overall. Great western/samurai feel to whole piece. That spear is pretty badass. A way for Mando to battle the Dark Sabre.

Last edited by Coach; 11-27-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #658
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So more thoughts.

First of all possible rescuers.

Spoiler!

What I liked about this version of Ashoka, she wasn't as optimistic, she didn't have that slight edge of Snark to her like she did in Rebels or Clone Wars. She almost seemed a bit more vicious in this episode. Like I said I believe this took place before the end of Rebels where she picks up Sabine. She's literally trying to find clues to Ezra, and probably in a period of atonement and feeling massive guilt over the discovery that her master had become Darth Vader and blames herself. Therefore, the whole letting the child choose his own path and her being unwilling to train a apprentice with strong attachments is highly logical as attachment led to the downfall of Skywalker.

So in that its brilliant. While it was tough to get onboard at times with the new voice and action, I will give her credit, her cadance, the way she spoke is spot on with Ecksteins portrayal.

This honestly felt like a one off appearance for Ashoka, I don't see where it goes from here in the frame work of this series, she's got her own quest which is Thrawn. I've heard rumors of an animated Rebels sequel being in development, they could be thinking of live action now and this was a test to see how fans react.

BTW why were her tendrals so freaking short?

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #659
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I thought she was great from start to finish. As soon as I saw those white light sabers and her moving forward I literally yelled out in joy lol. I thought she did an amazing job portraying Ahsoka in this time line.

This isn't the Ahsoka from Clone Wars, it isn't even the same one from Rebels, this is all post Rebels (besides the end of Rebels which CC pointed out already). But it definitely still felt like Ahsoka. They had a strong stoic serious tone punctuated by the playfulness and smile of our Clone Wars Ahsoka.

I also thought the fight scenes were as good as we are going to get for live action without mixing in CGI. And I would rather just keep it live action and have less dramatic flips.

There was one moment where my heart just about ripped in half, when he was asking her to take Grogu and she hesitated, the scene from Clone Wars where she says "When you find people who need your help, you help them, no matter what." I thought in my head you have to help him, this is who you are, if they changed her for this show I will riot. But then she comes through with her own way of helping... while helping free a village on her other quest. I didn't expect Grogu to hop in her side pouch and for the show to just end obviously, I knew he had to be involved with Mando, but I was really happy with the way they handled it.

It was also really interesting to learn that Grogu was trained at the temple, and now it makes sense how he was able to wield his innate connection to the force in previous episodes. I always expected, but obviously it wasn't confirmed.

Now the big bomb, the bomb that literally had me yelling 'WHAT!!! WHAT!!!!' at my TV. I just was not expecting that AT ALL. Thrawn. Dun dun dun!!! He's back!

I fully believe that this event transpired before she shows up at the end of Rebels, part of the reason is that she is still wearing the cloak of Ahsoka the Grey. She is not Gand-- err Ahsoka the White yet

If they can link this events up into their own spin off animated/real life show I will just be tickled pink.

Filoni nailed it. Dawson nailed it. Grogu nailed it. Great episode. One of my favourites for sure. And I truly believe I would think that even if I wasn't an Ahsoka fanboi.

But I do believe people without previous knowledge of Ahsoka are definitely not going to get the same weight.. but that was to be expected. Perhaps this sends them reeling backwards into the archives of SW lore, further popularizing Rebels/CW (if possible) and adding fuel to the fire of extended work on these story lines and characters.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #660
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

End of Rebels scene:

So Sabine is on Lothal preparing for the big attack that never comes, mean while Ahsoka is out in the universe collecting information on where Ezra and Thrawn are.