Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-25-2020, 09:39 PM   #9741
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds fishy. Also rather not take fish tank cleaner ingesting people at their word either
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:51 PM   #9742
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Sounds fishy. Also rather not take fish tank cleaner ingesting people at their word either

I am all for personal responsibility, but Trump, Alex Jones, Jim Baker all prey on the misinformed and uneducated.

Anybody who bought silver water or magic toothpaste are the same people who would see a tweet about a miracle cure for covid19 and think their fish tank cleaner was the same chemical.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #9743
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
We already know, the wife said exactly why they did it.

"We saw Trump on TV -- every channel -- & all of his buddies and that this was safe, Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure."

So yeah their mistake was taking the president at his word.

What they did was dumb and they paid for it with his life, but that's why we have organizations that usually protect people from being taken in by misinformation.
What if this was a cure without side affects when taken at proper doses. This couple would still have done the identical thing and still died. There has to be some personal responsibility when someone says we have found a cure that you need to have a doctor prescribe it to you rather than go to the pet store by something close and dose yourself.

The misinformation from Trump didn’t lead to this.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 10:05 PM   #9744
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What if this was a cure without side affects when taken at proper doses. This couple would still have done the identical thing and still died. There has to be some personal responsibility when someone says we have found a cure that you need to have a doctor prescribe it to you rather than go to the pet store by something close and dose yourself.

To some people, the distinction between the chemicals that Trump listed to the ones found in the fish tank cleaner might not appear dissimilar. It’s easy for relatively smart people to look and comment on how dumb it was, but for people who see chloroquine-anything it’s the miracle cure Trump was tweeting out about.

And honestly, if that tweet was so innocuous as the some say, so many people wouldn’t have walked back their statements ala Danielle Smith et al.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #9745
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:

I didn't say there was no personal responsibility, of course they should have consulted a doctor. But we all take steps to protect our older parents or others who are vulnerable, prone to making poor decisions when presented with misinformation (or heck even not prone, everyone makes dumb mistakes), generally in the form of people intentionally trying to take advantage of them.

In this case it wasn't intentional, the misinformation wasn't malicious but the end result was the same, some people took some bad information and foolishly acted on it without due care and unfortunately no one was there to protect them when they made a mistake.

If it were me (aside from being devastated that it was possible my careless words had led to such an event) I'd be more careful to be measured with my words.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #9746
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, the lady who just lost her husband to a horrible mistake is lying to stick it to Trump.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:22 PM   #9747
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah, the lady who just lost her husband to a horrible mistake is lying to stick it to Trump.
I am suspicious and that is probably because i watch too many true crime shows..odds aren't in my favor I know that.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:31 PM   #9748
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

But it's not even clear what he is saying - sounds to be like he said Cohox..a faux pas maybe?
Why would anyone say Cohox? I googled it, but it doesn't seem to mean anything.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #9749
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
To some people, the distinction between the chemicals that Trump listed to the ones found in the fish tank cleaner might not appear dissimilar. It’s easy for relatively smart people to look and comment on how dumb it was, but for people who see chloroquine-anything it’s the miracle cure Trump was tweeting out about.

And honestly, if that tweet was so innocuous as the some say, so many people wouldn’t have walked back their statements ala Danielle Smith et al.
Are saying that the president of the United States should never specifically name any chemical as having a positive affect becuase the risk that a person might take it incorrectly is too great?

It’s like saying we shouldn’t advertise alcohol because ethanol and methanol are both alcohols and sound the same so people might get mixed up.

The issue is that the cure hasn’t been proven. That is why people like Danielle Smith back there statements. And now it’s leading to drug shortages as people stockpile the drug for something it might not even work for. There are real problems with Trump advocating for medicines that aren’t proven. Lots of Doctors are giving it out under “compassionate use” with limited evidence of effectiveness. Also touting there is a cure will make quarantine less effective as people won’t see the need

These are problems that need dealing with.

An idiot taking fish tank cleaner isn’t one of them.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #9750
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
They wouldn't it's not a word - it's just what i thought it sounded like...seems he was about to say hoax and back out a little too late. But his statements before that, which NowThis didn't bother to include, he does acknowledge its existence, just down played it a bit. But everyone was down playing it at one point or another, even the WHO.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:48 PM   #9751
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
They wouldn't it's not a word - it's just what i thought it sounded like...seems he was about to say hoax and back out a little too late. But his statements before that, which NowThis didn't bother to include, he does acknowledge its existence, just down played it a bit. But everyone was down playing it at one point or another, even the WHO.
Most people weren’t at that time though. He said that two days before it was declared a pandemic.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:51 PM   #9752
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Are saying that the president of the United States should never specifically name any chemical as having a positive affect becuase the risk that a person might take it incorrectly is too great?

It’s like saying we shouldn’t advertise alcohol because ethanol and methanol are both alcohols and sound the same so people might get mixed up.

The issue is that the cure hasn’t been proven. That is why people like Danielle Smith back there statements. And now it’s leading to drug shortages as people stockpile the drug for something it might not even work for. There are real problems with Trump advocating for medicines that aren’t proven. Lots of Doctors are giving it out under “compassionate use” with limited evidence of effectiveness. Also touting there is a cure will make quarantine less effective as people won’t see the need

No naming the chemical is fine, I think all that's needed is being clear about the process and simply communicating the points that you easily just did.

We're hopeful because there's a number of drugs that show signs of being effective. Some have been approved by the FDA for compassionate use in extreme cases and tests are being done as quickly as possible so effective and safe treatments can be brought to people as quickly as possible. Please be patient and follow the directions of your local authorities with respect to quarantine, together we can make it through this difficult time, our ingenuity etc etc

Most of us could write something along those lines.

Would people still have taken it? Possibly, but personally I'd rather know I took every effort to be clear and explicit in communicating to millions of people trying to protect them from dumb mistakes.

But I mean in Florida (some town council I think?) one leader was saying blowing a hair dryer up your nose was hot enough to kill the virus, so there's always people who are going to believe nonsense, but I want to make sure I'm helping rather than obfuscating.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 PM   #9753
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As New York State continues to see a rise in cases of the novel coronavirus and is the epicenter of the pandemic in the United States, clinical trials for drug treatments began on Tuesday in the state.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/clin...ry?id=69777957

Quote:
The state acquired 70,000 doses of hydroxychloroquine, 10,000 doses of zithromax and 750,000 doses of chloroquine in the last few days, according to a news release by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:24 PM   #9754
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Possibly just started to say “conspiracy” and changed up midstream. Doesn't seem that weird.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

"I'd do it for sure. I'd be lining up to stab kids with forks." - OMG!WTF!
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:31 PM   #9755
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The real issue is that the US has a President who only cares about his own self interest, he isn't rambling on incoherently about miracle cures or how he wants everyone to go to church at Easter or how its a great time to buy into the market because he gives a #### about anything but his reelection chances, I may have little but disdain for George W but at least he put the US ahead of his own political career in 9/11 and 2008.

I cannot envisage any previous US President advocating unproven medications or trying to ignore the best medical advise in order to try and safe guard their electoral chances at the expense of the lives of tens of thousands of citizens, even Nixon wouldn't have stooped so low.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 11:31 PM   #9756
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I believe there are some people freaking out about this and will grasp onto anything. I just think he needs to be more responsible for what he puts out there. Look at most of his supporters critical thinking skills and tell me you don’t see them taking something he said and doing something stupid?

He is already seeding doubt about whether any of what is currently in place is necessary to stop the spread. If Trump suggested on Twitter that social distancing isn’t important and everybody should enjoy themselves on the beaches, that would be the same kind of irresponsible message, because there will be people dumb enough to listen to him over the experts.

Maybe there just needs to be a questionnaire on Twitter that asks a fairly simple science question. If you get it wrong, you get the filtered Trump.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 03-26-2020, 06:17 AM   #9757
PostandIn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Trump administration has reportedly sought a court order to ban this political ad:

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/...293435907?s=21
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #9758
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure Jan
Old 03-26-2020, 06:28 AM   #9759
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
The Trump administration has reportedly sought a court order to ban this political ad:
What a snowflake. Can’t see on what grounds, unless he meant to say cohox or something else. Otherwise, he said what he said
Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #9760
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Catastrophic loss of life, economic collapse, and now this friggin guy?

I don't think we have enough TP for this ###hole

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post: