Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sequels were on TV not long ago and so I caught bits and pieces of them and what I noticed fairly quickly was that they were terribly bad.

The dialogue alone was brutal.

What do I have to do?
You know what you have to do!
Where do I have to go?
You know where you have to go!

*Checks watch...are we seriously doing this?*

The dialogue was brutal. The pacing was terrible and on top of a non-sensical story that effectively was banking on people thinking they didnt understand it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #42
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the sequels
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I liked the sequels
Philistine.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #44
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I liked the sequels
The sequels actually had a fair number of cool ideas in them. The execution and pacing was just so awful at points. The films also suffered from being overly ambitious with their effects. CGI, at that point, just wasn't up to what they wanted to do.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #45
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were sequels?
Old 09-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #46
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Although I am intrigued, this movie has about a 2% chance of being any good. Has there ever been a follow-up movie made 20 years post original that was any good? Sequels are usually disappointing as is, but long-awaited ones are worse.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #47
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Have you seen the latest Bill & Ted? Don't get me wrong, I'm a bridge troll compared to Keanu, but he does not look good without a beard anymore.

Spoiler!

It kind of reminds me a little of Weird Al transformation post-Bob Ross hair and Lasik.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #48
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Although I am intrigued, this movie has about a 2% chance of being any good. Has there ever been a follow-up movie made 20 years post original that was any good? Sequels are usually disappointing as is, but long-awaited ones are worse.
Not that I think the Matrix will be good, but Blade Runner 2049 was fantastic, even better than the original IMO
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 04:02 PM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Not that I think the Matrix will be good, but Blade Runner 2049 was fantastic, even better than the original IMO
That was a beautiful film.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:47 PM   #50
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm old now so movies like BR2049 really, really appeal to me.

I've watched it at least four times.

I can't even tell you how many times I've watched the original BR. It's probably my most watched movie.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #51
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Quote:
Mad Max: Fury Road also applies. It was head and shoulders better than the original movies, though largely since those movies didn’t age well, it’s not like they were crappy to begin with.

The list of quality remakes, reboots and decades later sequels is super short. Especially if we remove remakes of golden age of Hollywood movies.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 09:06 PM   #52
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
The fighting is going to have massive upgrades over the sequels. Only due to how much technology has advanced since then. And that the Matrix movies themselves were the bar setters for the filming and CG technology back then.
The most iconic effect aka bullet time was mostly a practical effect (many cameras) mixed with CG elements. Not sure I'd consider The Matrix a ground breaking film for visual effects what made it special was the combination of practical and CGI.

The actors doing their own stunts as much as possible made a huge difference if that is replaced by computer generated stunts then ugh.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:09 PM   #53
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Mad Max: Fury Road also applies. It was head and shoulders better than the original movies, though largely since those movies didn’t age well, it’s not like they were crappy to begin with.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:13 PM   #54
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

The list of quality remakes, reboots and decades later sequels is super short. Especially if we remove remakes of golden age of Hollywood movies.
I'm going to catch flak for this, but I don't understand the fawning over Mad Max: Fury Road. Excellent cinematography, and that's about it.

It was just...weird. I've never watched the originals, so maybe it was the fact it was nostalgia and a mastery of the original concept?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:17 PM   #55
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fury Road sucks the story is terrible, if you can call it that. Some awesome stunts but low IQ film in general.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:52 PM   #56
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Fury Road sucks the story is terrible, if you can call it that. Some awesome stunts but low IQ film in general.
A guy playing a guitar on a vehicle that shoots fire is visually cool...but, why is it even there?

Weird.

The villain is the most fragile person in the world with half a skull, but a harem. Why? What?

Weird.

Having people hooked to other people as blood bags. What? Why?

Weird. For the sake of weird, on a blockbuster budget. I don't get it.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:38 PM   #57
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I liked the sequels
Matrix 1 is a modern masterpiece.

Matrix 2 and 3 are fun escapist action adventure films with a solid cast. Not at the level of the first, but easily better than most sequels to classic movies.

The more I learn about the details of the Matrix universe through the trilogy as well as the animatrix and games, the more interesting it becomes.

And 18 years later there is certainly an appetite to revisit it. I just hope they don't rehash the previous movies in a greatest hits fashion and tell a new story or an intriguing continuation of the original story with callbacks sprinkled in along the way. Branching out and adding stories to this universe is what it needs and deserves.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:40 PM   #58
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Not every story has to be "high" IQ.

Some stories are made for that. Especially when it's a 2 hour car chase. I mean, how complex do you want to make that?
Old 09-10-2021, 11:47 PM   #59
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

IQ comes into play with Fury Road when you use it to determine that you're watching a purposefully over the top action movie and not Citizen Kane.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 11:48 PM   #60
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's astonishingly good for a present day sci-fi film. And equally painfully underappreciated.

Rarely are movies these days made with the level of detail, love and execution as BR2049 was.

I get literal chills from scenes in that film, between the visuals and script. Pretty sure nothing made in the last decade elicits that reaction from me.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-10-2021 at 11:53 PM.