Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2021, 09:58 AM   #3101
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
For the record, Lucic is the fastest skater on the team, bar none. Trouble is he takes a while to get there, so he isn't a 'quick' player.
So he's basically Bowser in Mario Kart
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #3102
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I don't think he can play. He's currently on the IR, per Capfriendly.

Just to also build on that, if you're on the IR, insurance pays your salary, correct? If not, ownership pays? With a frugal ownership group, what are the odds they'd pay a guys high salary just because they're willing to hold out to get higher value. I'd think they've shown their colours over the past few seasons where I doubt they'd pay for subpar performance from their best guy. By Feb at latest I'd venture to guess he'd be out.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #3103
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is he faster than Jankowski though.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #3104
talladega.25
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Woke up today feeling optimistic about the Flames.

Experience is key and having players with winning pedigrees does offer an intangible element. Both to what we as fans see on the ice (hopefully) and to what happens with the team off of the ice. The Flames added 3 players with Stanley cup rings (Coleman X2, Lewis X2, and Richardson X1). This element might bode well for setting a precedent for the team and instil certain values that this team has been missing.

I know that as a former player, whenever my team added guys that have "Won", this helped in more ways you could think of both on the ice and off of the ice relating to the team dynamic. Culture did shift and the takeaways were invaluable.

Let's hope for the best here!
talladega.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to talladega.25 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #3105
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Just to also build on that, if you're on the IR, insurance pays your salary, correct? If not, ownership pays? With a frugal ownership group, what are the odds they'd pay a guys high salary just because they're willing to hold out to get higher value. I'd think they've shown their colours over the past few seasons where I doubt they'd pay for subpar performance from their best guy. By Feb at latest I'd venture to guess he'd be out.
Not all are insured.

Are NHL players insured?
As far is insurance goes, only a handful of player's salaries on each team are covered by the NHLs insurance program and that comes with limitations, for instance when the Columbus Blue Jackets signed Nathan Horton to a 7 year-37 Million dollar contract in 2013, he was ineligible to be covered by insurance because of a previous injury.

Also, what gives you the impression that the owners are cheap and won't pay as agreed? They spend to the cap every year in a smaller market and can you name one player who they have moved because they didn't want to pay him?
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #3106
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
So he's basically Bowser in Mario Kart
Good cuz I always used Bowser.. I dominated that special ice level, under 60 seconds every time
Old 09-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #3107
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Not all are insured.

Are NHL players insured?
As far is insurance goes, only a handful of player's salaries on each team are covered by the NHLs insurance program and that comes with limitations, for instance when the Columbus Blue Jackets signed Nathan Horton to a 7 year-37 Million dollar contract in 2013, he was ineligible to be covered by insurance because of a previous injury.

Also, what gives you the impression that the owners are cheap and won't pay as agreed? They spend to the cap every year in a smaller market and can you name one player who they have moved because they didn't want to pay him?

Re: insurance, I thought the vast majority are covered, but the term beyond 8 years isn't what's covered? Don't quote me on that but I thought that was the case?

Regarding the cheap owner comment, I just can't imagine many teams having a star player sitting out and paying him, let alone the Sabres (probably not necessarily out of cheapness, but just as much from a team culture standpoint). They demand results from management too soon and I just can't see a big dollar guy sitting there like this.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:23 PM   #3108
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Is he faster than Jankowski though.

This is the the question of the offseason
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #3109
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone's favourite has Gaudreau going to Buffalo in a deal that sees Eichel going to LA....or something? I dunno what he's saying.

Quote:
The latest rumor I keep hearing is Eichel tied to the LA Kings. The deal would include a third team and I’m told we could see Johnny Gaudreau from Calgary being moved to Buffalo as part of the Eichel deal. Of course there would be other pieces as well. What Pat does well is his ability to forge a deal that makes Buffalo, LA and Calgary all feel like they have improved through this process..
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #3110
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Everyone's favourite has Gaudreau going to Buffalo in a deal that sees Eichel going to LA....or something? I dunno what he's saying.

Are we getting Quinton Byfield?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #3111
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must be getting desperate because i actually visited eklund's horrible site to view that rumor and gave it a second of thought.

I would like to know what he thinks we would get out of this. On the surface I dont love it but meh I could potentially really like it.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #3112
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

So Johnny’s 5 team trade list includes Buffalo

That’s what his agent worked for

I assume it also includes, what, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Phoenix and Columbus?

Alrighty then
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 09:51 AM   #3113
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Alrighty then
If his goal is America, close to philadelphia, Buffalo is fine.

But I agree, it doesn't make sense.

Closest NHL Cities to Philadelphia (in order):

- Philadelphia Flyers
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Rangers
- New York Islanders
- Washington Capitals
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres -- 8th closest geographically. And really, it's pretty much the same as Boston and Pittsburgh in distance. He would need to fly a lot less for games too.
-

Last edited by Monahammer; 09-17-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #3114
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Alrighty then

Better Buffalo than Edmonton. Neither team has a shot of winning a thing this season, but at least the travel schedule is easier overall, and it is closer to home too. Edmonton is on that list for sure I bet.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #3115
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Alrighty then
That actually makes perfect sense. Since none of those teams has any reason to trade for a 1 year rental, it effectively gives him a full non trade clause.

Now Winnipeg would not be on there, they might load up for a run. Perhaps Detroit instead. Basically any rebuilding team.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #3116
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I must be getting desperate because i actually visited eklund's horrible site to view that rumor and gave it a second of thought.

I would like to know what he thinks we would get out of this. On the surface I dont love it but meh I could potentially really like it.
He doesn't care what YOU get out of it, he only cares what HE gets out of it, and what he got out of you was a visit to his website.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:08 AM   #3117
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That actually makes perfect sense. Since none of those teams has any reason to trade for a 1 year rental, it effectively gives him a full non trade clause.

Now Winnipeg would not be on there, they might load up for a run. Perhaps Detroit instead. Basically any rebuilding team.

Without trading him this summer, he either walks or signs a long-term deal. I don't see trading being an option. This team won't be bad enough to sell at the trade deadline.

960 just had the an LA reporter on a few days ago who said that the Kings were out on Eichel after signing Danault.

Last edited by NegativeSpace; 09-17-2021 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Spelt name wrong.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:14 AM   #3118
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Why do so many people assume that players fill out their NTC’s to specifically handcuff their team? It doesn’t make any sense.

Unless they don’t want to leave… but how can you think Johnny doesn’t want to leave but also is going to walk away?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #3119
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Pretending that this is a legit rumor for a minute:
I know LA has a lot of great young assets, but based on our offseason, we're clearly not trying to rebuild, so I can't really see any realistic scenario that would see us lose Johnny and not get Eichel.
Maybe we somehow ended up with Byfield and Kopitar?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #3120
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Pretending that this is a legit rumor for a minute:
I know LA has a lot of great young assets, but based on our offseason, we're clearly not trying to rebuild, so I can't really see any realistic scenario that would see us lose Johnny and not get Eichel.
Maybe we somehow ended up with Byfield and Kopitar?
Calgary involved in an Eichel trade...