Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #21
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We’ve moved to splitting our tickets 5 ways, it started with 2 of us 10+ years ago. Kids, moving, jobs have changed the scenario. It guarantees 8-10 games a year, and I can pick up other tickets whenever I want to. It’s the most economical way for me to do it, and also not a huge time commitment. I would recommend people to do this, it’s great!
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #22
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
We’ve moved to splitting our tickets 5 ways, it started with 2 of us 10+ years ago. Kids, moving, jobs have changed the scenario. It guarantees 8-10 games a year, and I can pick up other tickets whenever I want to. It’s the most economical way for me to do it, and also not a huge time commitment. I would recommend people to do this, it’s great!
with 5 people, that must make it hard to get games you want, and how would you figure out who goes to playoff games and who misses out? even on a long run, the majority of you are missing the cup final games.

I could see people preferring to just buy tickets as they want them and not having to worry about all that.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #23
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
with 5 people, that must make it hard to get games you want, and how would you figure out who goes to playoff games and who misses out? even on a long run, the majority of you are missing the cup final games.

I could see people preferring to just buy tickets as they want them and not having to worry about all that.
When you have season tickets you have a much easier road to purchasing playoff tickets as STH get a chance to purchase in advance of the public
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Flames are in a tough spot.

Depending on the status of COVID infections and reopening, many of their fans will not attend if there aren't safety measures in place. Proof of vaccinations, mandatory masks, reduced food/drink.

On the other hand, we have seen Calgary has a crazy high percentage of anti COVID people who will not attend if they feel they don't have full unimpeded "freedoms" and will not respond kindly to masks or proof of vaccinations.

I'd bet the organization is praying for a clear mandate from the province/city regarding safety, whether it is mandatory safety requirements or a complete lifting of restrictions, to help take responsibility out of their hands. Anything in between will be a disaster.
Flames are in a tough spot no matter how you spin it. Bad product, bad economic times, conclusion of a pandemic. Probably going to see a lot of empty seats in the Dome next season for a variety of reasons.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #25
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
When you have season tickets you have a much easier road to purchasing playoff tickets as STH get a chance to purchase in advance of the public

Yeah. I had seasons tickets for years with that type of reasoning.

Then you factor in
- the years with Brent, Gulutzan, nearly unwatchable hockey
- the -25 Tuesdays when Minnesota is in town
- the tickets you can’t sell when you can’t make the game
- the fact that you have a team that often doesn’t even make the dance and when they get there, it turns out they don’t know how to dance

All of the money you don’t spend can be saved up and on the off chance they ever do something in the post season, you’d have a lot of money to spend
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:55 AM   #26
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I used to think that too and used it as a rationale as to buying season tickets. As has been illustrated by other posters I think the decision on whether or not to be a STH should rest solely on whether you enjoy going to regular season games enough to make it worth it.

As far as playoff performance goes the Flames are one of the worst franchises in professional sport. They only make the playoffs 50% of the time, win a round once a generation, and go on a run once every 15-20 years. If getting to watch playoff games in person is your payoff, being a Calgary Flames STH year in year out is one of the worst uses of your money.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #27
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pretty sure I am moving on from STH next season. I am currently at 1/4 season with two seats. My current plan is to try to get to 2-3 games with four seats so I can take the whole family and really do it up with great seats, all the snacks and booze, buy some merch. Heck, I want to be the guy with the limo waiting out front at least once. CSEC will still get some cash out of me, I just want to swing to it being more of an event.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #28
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Surprised people think it'll be quiet.

Most of the unemployment issues are lower income jobs that would have trouble going to games in the good times.

Boredom from Covid, oil bouncing back, first couple months are going to be packed. By October no reason for much safety nonsense.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #29
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
true, but if you share tickets with 4 other people, you may not even get to see a playoff game. or let's say you're a STH with a group and they flames make the finals. you're have a chance of not being able to go.

so that perk of having guaranteed tickets isn't much of a perk.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #30
Young Guns
First Line Centre

Exp:

I need to decide if I'm going to renew or use the money to go on a bender in Nashville, Florida or Vegas. Watch the Flames play there and get a holiday during the winter.
Young Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #31
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
true, but if you share tickets with 4 other people, you may not even get to see a playoff game. or let's say you're a STH with a group and they flames make the finals. you're have a chance of not being able to go.

so that perk of having guaranteed tickets isn't much of a perk.
That is my point. If you want to see a playoff game and you are part of a season ticket holder group you will have the ability to purchase tickets for all playoff games. You get your seats and the presale before they go out to the public. I was splitting with a buddy and his wife wanted to go to all the games in 2019. We were able to easily get tickets on Ticketmaster in advance because STH get first crack at playoff seats even after they have purchased their own.

I am splitting with 3 other guys next season but intend to go to all playoff games if they make it.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #32
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
true, but if you share tickets with 4 other people, you may not even get to see a playoff game.
We used to have 5 of us in the group. First round you know there will be at least 4 tickets. So person #5 may not get to see a game. However that means one of the following is true:
- the Flames will be in the next round.
- the Flames lost and so maybe not the best game to attend.

That being said within our group, when we draft the playoff rounds, the first game to be taken is usually game 6.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:27 PM   #33
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is my point. If you want to see a playoff game and you are part of a season ticket holder group you will have the ability to purchase tickets for all playoff games. You get your seats and the presale before they go out to the public. I was splitting with a buddy and his wife wanted to go to all the games in 2019. We were able to easily get tickets on Ticketmaster in advance because STH get first crack at playoff seats even after they have purchased their own.

I am splitting with 3 other guys next season but intend to go to all playoff games if they make it.
ah. ok I see what you meant now.

thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #34
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s also worth mentioning that STH’ers get a pretty substantial discount for playoff tickets. I want to say in the neighbourhood of 50% off face value (?), so it’s nothing to sneeze at. Game pack holders get a smaller discount.

It’s largely moot if the team gets swept in the first round or misses the playoffs entirely, so yeah it’s been slim pickings for the past several years (my first year was 14/15 so I should have quit while I was ahead )
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #35
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a pair of greens and cant say Ive had a lot of the issues that people face above. Probably because of the price point of the tickets. Even the dud Tuesday night games I can usually recover my cost I would say 80% of the time. I don't divide out my tickets so have full control which is nice.

I'm actually hoping to upgrade within the green section but I could see a ton of people with seniority scaling back their costs and moving into Green so who knows.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #36
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Flames are in a tough spot no matter how you spin it. Bad product, bad economic times, conclusion of a pandemic. Probably going to see a lot of empty seats in the Dome next season for a variety of reasons.
I'm doubtful about that. I think since it would be a whole year and a half since people were able to go to the Dome for anything, there will be a lot of pent of energy released leading to pretty full attendance for at least the first half of the season, and most likely all of it if Flames aren't a bottom of league quality team.

There is still a fair amount of money in the city overall, and it's young. So they will be wanting to spend it; especially since probably a decent amount have more money due to lack of traveling/impulsive spending during the pandemic.

I just don't foresee Flames having trouble filling up the Dome for this season since their ticket demographic will want to participate in lots of events this winter to make up for lost time.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #37
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess I'm out of the demographic that wants/needs to 'make up for lost time' by going to a million things once things open up. I just want to go out for dinner, visit with friends and, maybe, go to a Flames game.

I have season tickets and am seriously contemplating giving them up. Between the awful on ice product, the awful in stadium experience, the time, the drive, the costs I didn't seem to miss it much watching on tv for the past year. Many times I said to myself, "good thing I didn't waste 4 hours of my life going in to the game", as I switched the tv off.

I suspect I'm not alone in this way of thinking and am of the opinion that the 'dome won't be rockin' much this year.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:48 PM   #38
1234iggykipper
Draft Pick

Just got my annual seat relocation email. Registration deadline is June 22nd and the relocation event will be held July 6 - 9.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:22 PM   #39
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
I have a pair of greens and cant say Ive had a lot of the issues that people face above. Probably because of the price point of the tickets. Even the dud Tuesday night games I can usually recover my cost I would say 80% of the time. I don't divide out my tickets so have full control which is nice.

I'm actually hoping to upgrade within the green section but I could see a ton of people with seniority scaling back their costs and moving into Green so who knows.
The greens are a sweet spot, great price point without the stigma of the “nosebleeds”. Mid range blues like ours have been taking a bath in the resale market the last few years, competing with the green price point, but not having the special occasion experience of the lower bowl. If nice greens are available, we may take them.
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:05 PM   #40
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sit up in the blues in 225. Generally not been too tough to recuperate and average out my costs if I plan out the games I end up selling. That usually means I end up not going to watch the leafs or canadiens when they are in town. Usually end up not attending most of the Oilers game either. I'm hopeful I can move down during the relocation to make the row number more attractive for selling purpose, but I do kinda like where my seats are for the games I end up going. Sitting on the aisle on the last row, which is also a short row.
Let's see what the relocation event brings.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote