Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-15-2020, 07:43 AM   #21
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I echo my same response as the other site

I think it is a great system along with the eero for a great mix of ease and performance. These systems will not break speed records but the coverage and reliability are great. On a related note it takes 38MB/s to stream a HDR 4K remux file through my system so I think speed in many cases is over rated unless your downloading files or similar. For the large majority of people the google system is a great system.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the google, it does QOS very very well.
Just a follow up here:

Getting great performance from my system, almost advertised speed in the majority of the house! Very happy so far!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #22
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I switched to VELOP. Having great results.

Last edited by silentsim; 01-19-2020 at 08:26 AM.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:13 PM   #23
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey, CP brain trust. I'm super-annoyed with the my Wifi, but it isn't really Shaw's fault. I have a '60s vintage 2-story house so no ethernet cabling. The Shaw access point strangely enough is through the outside of the second story into the master bedroom (that was not me!) Therefore, the router / WiFi access point is in the most remote location of the house and so coverage gets spotty (to non-existent) on the opposite side of the house main floor and basement.

We have eight people at home all the time (thanks, COVID!) and most have devices for work, school and play. We also have a couple smart TVs that connect exclusively through WiFi. I desperately need a solution for WiFi coverage and throughput that does not require pulling cables. And my brain is full of reading gobs of info and reviews on various products leading to analysis paralysis.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Leads? Experience?
Old 06-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #24
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Let’s Talk About Wi-Fi Mesh Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluking View Post
Hey, CP brain trust. I'm super-annoyed with the my Wifi, but it isn't really Shaw's fault. I have a '60s vintage 2-story house so no ethernet cabling. The Shaw access point strangely enough is through the outside of the second story into the master bedroom (that was not me!) Therefore, the router / WiFi access point is in the most remote location of the house and so coverage gets spotty (to non-existent) on the opposite side of the house main floor and basement.

We have eight people at home all the time (thanks, COVID!) and most have devices for work, school and play. We also have a couple smart TVs that connect exclusively through WiFi. I desperately need a solution for WiFi coverage and throughput that does not require pulling cables. And my brain is full of reading gobs of info and reviews on various products leading to analysis paralysis.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Leads? Experience?

I had a similar situation with a two storey house (not 1960s though), with the access point on the second floor and spotty coverage in the basement and opposite end of the house.

I tried a wireline adapter, but that didn’t work, so ended up buying a Linksys Velop (ac6600), and that has mostly solved the problem. I would love to optimize, but that would require pulling wires, but that is not for me.

TL;DR Linksys Velop (ac6600)

EDIT: we have the Shaw 300 Mbps as our Shaw plan
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you run a cable outside the house to a better location? You can have the Shaw installer come out for free to relocate it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:35 AM   #26
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

zuluking, try a Powerline Wireless adapter like this one and see if that works for you. If you end up having poor results like ah123, then a Velop, Orbi, or Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD might be the right choice.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #27
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
zuluking, try a Powerline Wireless adapter like this one and see if that works for you. If you end up having poor results like ah123, then a Velop, Orbi, or Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD might be the right choice.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A mesh system with power line back haul built in like this one might make more sense from the get go. There's too much tinkering with single power lines IMO to truly diagnose issues. Not to mention with the cost of a power line pairing and the time required and waiting/going out, it might make more sense to go for the home run swing from the get go IMO, especially with 8 in a household.

The link above was the one I set up at my parents place because I didn't want to pull cable and it worked very well. One of the units out of 3 kept going down at first, but a firmware update fixed it.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #28
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Many of the mesh systems available now are decent. The biggest issue you will find is ones that do not have a dedicated backhaul. If you are techy the velop and orbi are decent choices with my preference being the velop. If you want easy the eero is fantastic as is googles mesh. I switched to a full unifi setup and although expensive everything works exactly as it should. If I was buying a simple system now days it would be eero because a 10year old can figure it out and it’s feature set is great
Old 06-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #29
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A mesh system with power line back haul built in like this one might make more sense from the get go. There's too much tinkering with single power lines IMO to truly diagnose issues. Not to mention with the cost of a power line pairing and the time required and waiting/going out, it might make more sense to go for the home run swing from the get go IMO, especially with 8 in a household.

The link above was the one I set up at my parents place because I didn't want to pull cable and it worked very well. One of the units out of 3 kept going down at first, but a firmware update fixed it.
That's a brilliant suggestion, I didn't know there was a mesh system with a powerline backhaul. Damn.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #30
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Many thanks for all the responses! Question about the powerline backhaul... do the devices have to be on the same electrical circuit for this to work? if i don't have a circuit that has outlets on each floor, is the powerline backhaul useless?

As for the mesh, if i had a unit on each floor with the one on the top floor wired to the router, does the basement unit connect to the main floor one that connects to the top floor? or does each unit have to connect back to tethered one, meaning the basement still sucks generally speaking?
Old 06-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #31
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluking View Post
Many thanks for all the responses! Question about the powerline backhaul... do the devices have to be on the same electrical circuit for this to work? if i don't have a circuit that has outlets on each floor, is the powerline backhaul useless?

As for the mesh, if i had a unit on each floor with the one on the top floor wired to the router, does the basement unit connect to the main floor one that connects to the top floor? or does each unit have to connect back to tethered one, meaning the basement still sucks generally speaking?
I hope I am not over simplifying...

If your home has a single electrical panel, you'll probably be fine. Each node is still effective even without power line back haul as long as it can receive the signals from any other node via wifi. The back haul feature is kind of like a backup plan in the event that the signal strength isn't as strong as it can be due to interference, walls etc. and the power line back haul function kinda tops it up. The nodes will not be useless without power line back haul if the nodes are in wireless range to each other.

The Deco P9 uses power line as a back haul. I believe the Deco M4 would use ethernet as a back haul. Make sure you grab the correct one of the two. Power line back haul might mean you can stick it wherever whereas the M4 with no ethernet you'd possibly have to reposition to improve overall performance.

Essentially, if you aren't power line back hauling, but the nodes are still connected to your network, they are still repeating/amplifying the signal between nodes (ie: Upstairs to main floor to basement). The difference perhaps is that the basement "might" have slightly better signal strength and speeds with the power line back haul because there is a little bit less signal interference and less hand offs etc. that is going on. But it shouldn't be ineffective and "sucks" in the basement without power line back haul as long as the signal strength is OK. It may mean you have to reposition the unit in the basement to make it work better though.

Last edited by DoubleF; 06-23-2020 at 04:13 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #32
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use the google wifi mesh system at my dad's place spread over 2 acres through shops, houses, trailers and a cabin and it works great. Would definitely go with a mesh system.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:16 PM   #33
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Question on mesh systems and Access Points. I have an eero pro system that doesn’t use ethernet to connect. Only a wireless backhaul.

I want to run a ethernet to my detached garage where the eero system is weak And extend my network. Is it as simple as running a ethernet cable from a switch to the garage and adding an Access Point?

I want to be on same network so I can control my Sonos speakers in the yard. So need to extend same network like a mesh, not like a repeater.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:34 PM   #34
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Question on mesh systems and Access Points. I have an eero pro system that doesn’t use ethernet to connect. Only a wireless backhaul.

I want to run a ethernet to my detached garage where the eero system is weak And extend my network. Is it as simple as running a ethernet cable from a switch to the garage and adding an Access Point?

I want to be on same network so I can control my Sonos speakers in the yard. So need to extend same network like a mesh, not like a repeater.
As long as it's an Eero and not a beacon then yes, it will work perfectly.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #35
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ever since I started working from home, having reliable basement wifi is more important. It's pretty amazing how reliable the Orbi is at getting me handed off after 10 mins or so in the basement, so that I'm on a full 5g connection downstairs (connected to my basement satellite unit) with my base unit being on the opposite side of my house 2 floors up. It's incredible how far wifi tech has come.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #36
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Ever since I started working from home, having reliable basement wifi is more important. It's pretty amazing how reliable the Orbi is at getting me handed off after 10 mins or so in the basement, so that I'm on a full 5g connection downstairs (connected to my basement satellite unit) with my base unit being on the opposite side of my house 2 floors up. It's incredible how far wifi tech has come.
Which Orbi did you get? I picked up the RBK50 at Walmart a few days ago. It was on the clearance shelf for $250, and still being sold for $500 at Best Buy.

My house is about 2000 sq. ft. I have an Asus RT-68U right now that I had to move to the basement as I recently got Telus Fibre and it needed to go where the fibre was coming in. Before it was on the main floor and coverage was OK at that point. It's worse now as it's in the basement. I setup another 68U on the 2nd floor and currently using Aimesh. I'm using ethernet backhaul through powerline, which seems to be a little flaky. Even with the two routers, coverage pretty much dies in my garage.

Going to install the Orbi and see if it makes an imrovement.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #37
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
Which Orbi did you get? I picked up the RBK50 at Walmart a few days ago. It was on the clearance shelf for $250, and still being sold for $500 at Best Buy.

My house is about 2000 sq. ft. I have an Asus RT-68U right now that I had to move to the basement as I recently got Telus Fibre and it needed to go where the fibre was coming in. Before it was on the main floor and coverage was OK at that point. It's worse now as it's in the basement. I setup another 68U on the 2nd floor and currently using Aimesh. I'm using ethernet backhaul through powerline, which seems to be a little flaky. Even with the two routers, coverage pretty much dies in my garage.

Going to install the Orbi and see if it makes an imrovement.

I have the RBK 50 like you, amazing price I am jealous.

The RBK 50 has a great dedicated wireless backhaul, obviously wired is best, but, the RBK is really impressive. If I were you I'd try to see if just the one main base unit works by itself, it's that powerful.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #38
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I have the RBK 50 like you, amazing price I am jealous.

The RBK 50 has a great dedicated wireless backhaul, obviously wired is best, but, the RBK is really impressive. If I were you I'd try to see if just the one main base unit works by itself, it's that powerful.
Got a chance to set it up yesterday and I’m impressed so far. Aside from updating the firmware, which was a pain in the ass it works really well. I’m getting over 400 up and down right beside the satellite which I put on the 2nd floor, while the main router is in the office. This was with only the wireless backhaul. I’m getting over 300 in the corner of my upstairs kids rooms, whereas before it was around 15 down with the single router on the main floor, and around 50 with an AiMesh node on the 2nd floor.

Thought about splitting up the 2.4 SSID for my IoT devices but just repurposing one of the old Asus routers I have as an AP and broadcasting 2.4 for those devices only.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #39
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any opinions on these? https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0889Q6KF3/..._YKjgFbKTMRTD1
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #40
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Never seen this product before, but the manufacturer TP link does the Deco which is a good line. 5000 sq ft mesh seems super overkill though. For $300, you might be able to get away with something just as good with perhaps more nodes/satellites.

EDIT: It seems like your product is advertising speeds faster than the TP link Deco E4, M4 and P4 but similar coverage. Unless others can point out certain features that are worth paying extra for, I think you're better off with the E4/M4/P4 which should run you around $150-200 instead of $300.

Last edited by DoubleF; 07-22-2020 at 02:00 PM.