Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2021, 09:38 PM   #461
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
Just an FYI, alot of the items at openbox are Costco refurbs/returns.
Yep, a company I worked for used to have the contract for Costco return electronics. It's an amazing contract if you can score it, although Costco wised up and kept upping the percentage on high end electronics.

For a few years there we were acquiring all their high end TV's/computers/home theatre at .20 on the dollar , with 85% of it being sellable without repair, it was crazy. They slowly started upping the price each year though and other companies kept offering more and more.

I remember it going from .20 to .25 to .30 to 45 in one year and then somebody else took the contract when we backed out.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:41 PM   #462
jayswin

Exp:

Someone returns $2000 TV in perfect condition to costco after using it for Super Bowl? Came into us at $400 the next Thursday, sell it for $1500. What a wild ride, but we knew it wouldn't last.

Obviously you're not locking in any contracts to significant time with a big boy like Costco.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #463
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #464
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have experience with 4-series TCL TVs ?

I have a kids playroom I want to outfit with a TV, and it doesn’t need to be high end. I like the easy interface of the TCL since I had a 6-series, so I’m asking about the lower end model. Is the functionality the same, with just slightly lower picture quality? It’ll be used exclusively for Disney+, Netflix and YouTube. Looking for no larger than 50”, and the price point of TCL is attractive.

Also open to other suggestions.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:25 PM   #465
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Does anyone have experience with 4-series TCL TVs ?

I have a kids playroom I want to outfit with a TV, and it doesn’t need to be high end. I like the easy interface of the TCL since I had a 6-series, so I’m asking about the lower end model. Is the functionality the same, with just slightly lower picture quality? It’ll be used exclusively for Disney+, Netflix and YouTube. Looking for no larger than 50”, and the price point of TCL is attractive.

Also open to other suggestions.
Buy it. My MIL has the 4-series in her office and it's a fantastic television, you can't beat the value for money. Then she bought the 5-series for her bedroom and it is even better. I'm thoroughly impressed with TCL's offerings.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2021, 05:22 PM   #466
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Buy it. My MIL has the 4-series in her office and it's a fantastic television, you can't beat the value for money. Then she bought the 5-series for her bedroom and it is even better. I'm thoroughly impressed with TCL's offerings.

Thank you.

I am mostly concerned with the interface.

Is it the same as 6-series? I just want it to be easy for my wife to set up shows and movies for the kids, and she is familiar with the 6-series.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:05 PM   #467
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you got the Roku version and not the Android TV version they appear to also be offering now, then they’re identical. A Roku TV is a Roku TV is a Roku TV.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2021, 08:25 PM   #468
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinda feel like I owe you a consulting fee for all this technical advice you give me.

Of course I won’t pay you one, but you do have my thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #469
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trying to think of the proper sentence here.

"Once you go OLED, you never go back?"

Great TV's, even better for gaming.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1431240772507115524
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #470
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

So yet again, MIL replaces another TV… with a TCL. This time, replacing a 60” Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 3D TV with the TCL 6-series 65” QLED. Unreal value, and stellar picture. It’s really hard to argue against TCL unless you are really focused on specific specs/features.

The Sony probably had a whopping 200 hours of use on it since 2010, and it’s still a really impressive set today.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:19 AM   #471
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
So yet again, MIL replaces another TV… with a TCL. This time, replacing a 60” Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 3D TV with the TCL 6-series 65” QLED. Unreal value, and stellar picture. It’s really hard to argue against TCL unless you are really focused on specific specs/features.

The Sony probably had a whopping 200 hours of use on it since 2010, and it’s still a really impressive set today.
I debated between TCL and Hisense for a cheap 55" TV with 120hz/Freesync and VRR. Ended up with the Hisense 55U78G for $999 and I have to say so far it looks and feels amazing for movies and PS5. I really want to go to a store and see the difference in picture between the cheap tv's and the expensive ones because I can't imagine it being that much better. If it holds up well I will be replacing my 70" with the same TV above but 75".
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #472
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got my dad a Hisense H9 65". The only issue is with all the "smart TV" stuff. They get really annoyed with it because sometimes the mic picks up what the TV is saying and switches to movies, and they can't figure out what remote to use or what button to push to switch it back. I ended up just turning off the mic (which probably was spying on them anyway).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:03 AM   #473
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I debated between TCL and Hisense for a cheap 55" TV with 120hz/Freesync and VRR. Ended up with the Hisense 55U78G for $999 and I have to say so far it looks and feels amazing for movies and PS5. I really want to go to a store and see the difference in picture between the cheap tv's and the expensive ones because I can't imagine it being that much better. If it holds up well I will be replacing my 70" with the same TV above but 75".
I've got a Hisense LCD and a more expensive Sony X900H. For 4K content the picture quality is pretty similar, but beyond that the Sony is way ahead. 4K upscaling is pretty bad on the Hisense, if I'm watching a 1080p movie on it there are lots of artifacts visible and the lighting sucks. Whereas on the Sony the upscaling is so good it's sometimes hard to tell between a 1080 and 4K signal. Also browsing the Android TV menu on the Hisense can be annoying at times with lag, but the Sony has a much more powerful processor so it's always smooth. The Sony also has much better built-in speakers, which I've definitely noticed as I don't have room in the budget yet for a home theater setup

My advise is that if you want a minimal setup with just a TV mounted to a wall, go for the more expensive option. But if you're going to have a soundbar and a Nvidia Shield for streaming then the Hisense or TCL make a lot of sense
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 07:10 AM   #474
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just recently made the switch to OLED with the LG CX. Can’t say enough good things about it so far.
bax is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #475
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well, my Panasonic plasma unfortunately took a hit from a mini-hockey stick at the hand of my 2 year old, so I now have a line of pixels across the entire TV out. Boo. I haven't fully accepted that I'll have to replace it, but starting to look around. It still works fine, but the line is annoying.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #476
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tsuu T'ina Costco has LG 55CX OLED tv's on clearout for $1550. Regular $1998. They had two left after I bought one this morning.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #477
jayswin

Exp:

Is 55" OLED really worth it, though? I was under the impression you had to be 65/75 to really get the experience of OLED.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #478
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, that's 4k. Any given size of OLED will look better than the same size of a non-OLED TV. It's mainly about contrast.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 02:31 PM   #479
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Well, my Panasonic plasma unfortunately took a hit from a mini-hockey stick at the hand of my 2 year old, so I now have a line of pixels across the entire TV out. Boo. I haven't fully accepted that I'll have to replace it, but starting to look around. It still works fine, but the line is annoying.
TV is doing the red blink of death. I've tried a few things to resuscitate it, but no luck as of yet. Starting to look at options a little more eagerly now, since it's our only TV.

The plasma was a 50 inch with a large bezel, so is it safe to say if I go 55inch the overall TV size should be about the same, since bezels are so small these days? And if I had to guess, our viewing distance from the TV to couch is about 7 feet. I don't want to feel like the TV is overpowering the room. Might stick to 48-50inch.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #480
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're going too small, in my opinion. You want the TV to fill as close to 40 degrees of your field of vision as possible (cinema). The recommended cinema viewing distance on RTINGS for a 65" is 6.5 feet. 7 feet is also right in the sweet spot for UHD benefit on a 65", while it's right on the edge for a 55".

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 09-13-2021 at 04:01 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: