Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-15-2021, 02:32 PM   #4041
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Interior design fashion through the years is funny. First you had houses with plain wood walls on the inside. Then people started covering up those wooden walls with plaster and wallpaper. Years later it moves to interior paneling made to look like wood, then that became ugly so it went to painted drywall. Now we're at drywall with vinyl stuck to it to make it look like wood again. Wonder how long it'll be before that becomes outdated and people are tearing it off the walls
That's why I've left the pine panneling in my basement. Dated, but bound to be in style soonish!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:36 PM   #4042
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interior design fashion through the years is funny. First you had houses with plain wood walls on the inside. Then people started covering up those wooden walls with plaster and wallpaper. Years later it moves to interior paneling made to look like wood, then that became ugly so it went to painted drywall. Now we're at drywall with vinyl stuck to it to make it look like wood again. Wonder how long it'll be before that becomes outdated and people are tearing it off the walls
The new stuff looks a hell of a lot better than the panelling from the 70s though.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #4043
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's why I've left the pine panneling in my basement. Dated, but bound to be in style soonish!
Haha, my 1969 house is pretty modern, except I have left the downstairs bedroom with the old pine paneling. Such a wicked throwback and smells awesome. Feels like you're in a cabin down there.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #4044
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Haha, my 1969 house is pretty modern, except I have left the downstairs bedroom with the old pine paneling. Such a wicked throwback and smells awesome. Feels like you're in a cabin down there.
Ya, as long as it's the good real wood stuff, not those 4x8 panels I'm OK with it. My biggest issue is they didn't insulate...
Old 09-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #4045
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah we're at painted drywall and now even painted drywall ceilings. I get sucked into liking whatever the newest thing is same as everyone else, but I have to think at some point we'll want a bit of texture back on the ceilings. Everything currently is pretty sterile, especially when you throw in LED pot lights everywhere.

The vinyl wood wall planks I'm after are for a bit of a weird application. I want the durability and waterproofness of vinyl for my condo on a wall where we'll be leaning snowboards through the winter. I don't want to beat up the drywall in that spot. I think the planks look kind of neat and they'll be both practical and something other than white, taupe or grey, which would probably be good for me hah.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #4046
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, as long as it's the good real wood stuff, not those 4x8 panels I'm OK with it. My biggest issue is they didn't insulate...
Yeah, it's the real deal. Even has oranged nice and ugly with age.

My bedroom in my Dalhousie house growing up had the 4x8 faux wood panel sheets and I gotta say, I kind of miss it.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #4047
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flat ceiling is a flex because it's really hard to get right.

The box ceiling is very traditional actually.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #4048
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, cool. A lot of new condos all look pretty sterile, so that would help. Looks like Canadian Tire has some, if you haven't looked there.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/w...0304p.html#srp

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/w...0306p.html#srp
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 03:00 PM   #4049
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default The Home Improvement Thread

Quote:
Anybody know where I can get self-adhesive vinyl wood-looking/textured planks for putting on a wall?

Like these from HD USA, but HD in Canada doesn't carry them: https://www.homedepot.com/p/ALLURE-5...-316769683-_-N

Planks need to be 48" long. Don't want wall paper...they would be kind of like vinyl floor/pergo, but for walls.

www.instoneproducts.ca

Not exactly what you want but I think it’s suitable to lean snowboards on.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 03:04 PM   #4050
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
This is what my entire kitchen and main room look like… should I just take it off the Reno list and hope for the best?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #4051
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Ah, cool. A lot of new condos all look pretty sterile, so that would help. Looks like Canadian Tire has some, if you haven't looked there.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/w...0304p.html#srp

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/w...0306p.html#srp
Hey, would you look at that. Thanks Fuzz! I'll check that out tonight. I haven't ever actually seen this stuff in real life. Although it's not for like the main room in my house or anything, I do want to make sure it doesn't look too cheesy. Hoping to do the project this weekend, so glad to see there is something available in Calgary.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #4052
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This is what my entire kitchen and main room look like… should I just take it off the Reno list and hope for the best?
Yes, wood paneling is coming back.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #4053
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
The new stuff looks a hell of a lot better than the panelling from the 70s though.
Well yea, but people thought the 70's paneling looked way better than plaster walls at the time as well. Eventually the vinyl stuff will get old and fall out of favor too
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #4054
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This is what myentire kitchen and main room look like… should I just take it off the Reno list and hope for the best?
Quote:
Hey, would you look at that. Thanks Fuzz! I'll check that out tonight. I haven't ever actually seen this stuff in real life. Although it's not for like the main room in my house or anything, I do want to make sure it doesn't look too cheesy. Hoping to do the project this weekend, so glad to see there is something available in Calgary.
Heyyyyyyy now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 04:01 PM   #4055
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah we're at painted drywall and now even painted drywall ceilings. I get sucked into liking whatever the newest thing is same as everyone else, but I have to think at some point we'll want a bit of texture back on the ceilings. Everything currently is pretty sterile, especially when you throw in LED pot lights everywhere.

The vinyl wood wall planks I'm after are for a bit of a weird application. I want the durability and waterproofness of vinyl for my condo on a wall where we'll be leaning snowboards through the winter. I don't want to beat up the drywall in that spot. I think the planks look kind of neat and they'll be both practical and something other than white, taupe or grey, which would probably be good for me hah.
I'd take flat drywall ceilings over the popcorn crap we have now. That's the only issue I have with our house, but it's not something you ever really look at enough to justify the huge cost of replacing. Except of course when the kids throw a ball or toy at the ceiling and it rains down on them
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #4056
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd take flat drywall ceilings over the popcorn crap we have now. That's the only issue I have with our house, but it's not something you ever really look at enough to justify the huge cost of replacing. Except of course when the kids throw a ball or toy at the ceiling and it rains down on them
If you are willing to put in some work, it's not the hardest thing to scrape off yourself. A little spray bottle with water and a 6" taping knife and it comes off super easy.

I'd pay a professional to do the new texture, and admittedly that isn't super cheap.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:44 AM   #4057
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Knockdown popcorn ceiling looks nice in my opinion.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #4058
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone tried these "gutter guard" kind of things? I am debating installing something like that because we have a lot of trees and the eaves get plugged up. I don't think that I posted this before, but I have been procrastinating on this all summer...

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/cat...er-guards.html
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:48 AM   #4059
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i installed the d-leaf it mesh roll screening - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pea...ers/1000183439. likely not as nice as the other options, but i hang lights from my eves, so i did not think the nicer ones would not work.

i just installed this screening this summer, so it will be interesting to see how they work over the next few weeks and then thru the winter.

hard to have really high expectations for a total of around $60
Old 09-17-2021, 01:00 PM   #4060
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I asked about these when I got new gutters installed in the spring. My guy stated they are decent but can lead to overflow/run over flow when we get a heavy down pour as the perforations do not allow for the water to complete penetrate the mesh.

Just some feedback you may find useful.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post: