Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-13-2021, 09:34 PM   #101
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its a show where there are really no hero's or virtuous warriors at all.

I'm really cheering for Ax over anyone else. I really dislike Taylor as a character. the rest are pretty corrupt.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:02 AM   #102
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
They loved their product placements before but I feel like the last couple of episodes they really upped their game on products.
I haven't really noticed much, but maybe an overly branded MacBook Pro. What else was there? Ted Lasso seems to be a lot heavier handed in that area.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #103
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
How can a AG trying to buy a kidney from convicts be at all ethical.
so chuck was first testing the office staff to see if they were a match, now he has moved on to convicts.......goodness
Old 09-21-2021, 10:55 PM   #104
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

The last episode was just pure goodness. The scene that made me lol was the “Chuck Making Eggs.” I swear Corey Stalls was laughing after the egg flip just out of pure joy that Paul was able to accomplish that.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 07:09 PM   #105
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I just watched it and my wife and I were staring at each other in disbelief. She hated it, but I loved the balls it took to keep a full shot without edits like that in a show that is predicated on quick dialogue and rapid escalation of events. Even the choice of camera angle was bizarre and unique. Totally out of left field. There's been nothing like that in this show ever.

Overall, this was a weird episode in terms of tone and production. I can't figure out if they shot this during the height of the pandemic, or if it happened later when everyone had vaccines. The prodigious use of facetime/teleconference apps was either acknowledging what has happened, or done out of necessity. Either way, it was jarring.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #106
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 people, doing absolutely nothing, watching a 3rd person make eggs, without anyone saying a word, for about 90 seconds

ballsy is one way to describe it

my wife and I stared in disbelief - and nothing came of it. Sure, the egg flip was great, but otherwise, completely pointless

I just found it awkward
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #107
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Overall, this was a weird episode in terms of tone and production. I can't figure out if they shot this during the height of the pandemic, or if it happened later when everyone had vaccines. The prodigious use of facetime/teleconference apps was either acknowledging what has happened, or done out of necessity. Either way, it was jarring.

IIRC having Axe in quarantine and having to videocall everybody is how Damian Lewis could stay in the UK to film his scenes after his wife died.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #108
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Finishing up season 4.

Really enjoying it, love the battles Chuck and Axe are each facing. This show has more movie references than any show ever. It’s like an onslaught of obvious and low key movie quotes, Easter eggs, direct parodies. I love it.

Some of the backstabs and “twists” are telegraphed but even when they are, I find the journey is fun. Show continues to be fun and witty yet serious and cutting.

My only complaint is Wendy turning villain this season. She does better as conflicted or one step removed from Axe’s crimes but she’s gone full on evil this season.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #109
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Ok wow. Wasn’t expecting her to cop to it. Maybe she was more conflicted than I thought. The way she was berating Chuck about making it go away and her attitude towards Taylor. And with how close she keeps getting to Axe it seems like she is for sure going to leave Chuck for Axe.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:33 PM   #110
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That ending was awesome.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:55 PM   #111
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Watching S4 season finale. I’m convinced Chuck is playing a long con on Jock right from the beginning. I feel like everything was part of the plan, the bank, the wire, the deal with the weasel treasury guy etc. It was all a plan to catch Jock and O’Connerty.

Axe is gonna sleep with Wendy while he’s on the rebound from blondie. Axe and Chuck go back to enemies when Chuck finds out.

Not sure where Taylor will be.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #112
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that Mike Prince is literally the devil between Axe and Chuck. Chuck thinks he's using Prince, but I think that in the end Prince is playing a big power game to destroy Axe and Chuck.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:54 PM   #113
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Done with the show. Plots are dumb. Scripts are written in weird prose. Axe takes a pill and nearly loses his firm in a night. Taylor saves his ass and instead of a huge reward gets her/his ass whooped for getting taken by Prince. Just dumb lazy tv.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #114
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
IIRC having Axe in quarantine and having to videocall everybody is how Damian Lewis could stay in the UK to film his scenes after his wife died.
God, I didn't know that. This explains it. Thanks.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #115
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

a weekly scene with wendy pulling out the "tickle trunk" could be a reason for me to start watching this show again
Old 09-28-2021, 10:00 PM   #116
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

S5 is cringey so far. This schoolmaster thing with Axe’s kid is hilariously bad. Wendy has become a bitter caricature of the cool, calm and collected person she used to be. And does Chuck even do anything as AG? He has no purpose right now. His whole story revolves around grovelling over Wendy.

Edit: I’ve been binging this show hard. Half done s5 already. At this point we’re just watching a Suits 2.0. They even brought in Lewis. Also a hint of House of Cards, fitting since the coked out congressman plays Mike Prince. And maybe just a touch of Entourage with the celebrity cameos and product placement.

Unfortunately that’s not a recipe I’m enjoying. Wendy is a hedge fund manager now? What? Why? Chuck is bullying law students into doing his research? The ####ing Limitless pill? The sketchy Kidney replacement doctor? Oh good lord. We’re airborne and coming down hard jumping the shark. Axe jealous of Wendy’s boyfriend. Have we seriously reached that level of melodrama?

Season 5 is in a free fall. Very similar to suits or HoC, this show walked the line between serious and outlandish but always avoided going full…never go full. But that’s way in the rear view mirror. We’re now heading full speed to the bottom of the chasm.

It’s clear the writers have lost the plot.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-29-2021 at 06:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2021, 07:27 AM   #117
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

The post pandemic s5 episodes were, for the most part, a lot stronger. S5 only needed to be about 5 episodes was the problem, the rest was filler. I felt the same way about s4 too. Only got good around episode 6 or 7.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #118
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya although I said I was done, I admit the last few episodes were better.

But that whole "limitless" episode was over the top stupid. Same with the kidney doc.

How do the writers justify that garbage to respected actors like Giamatti and Lewis?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:55 AM   #119
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also a bit disappointed with S5 so far. Sucks that many shows tail off like this. Even some of the best have suffered through this - The Wire, GOT
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:23 PM   #120
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Should be at least interesting to see what happens this week and if the FBI hammers on Axe's door and puts the old locks on the doors of Axe Capital.

Do we get a shift to the court room with Chuck prosecuting?

Still think Mike Prince wants to destroy Chuck and Axe.