Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2022, 01:19 PM   #2081
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
If this arena is built anywhere other then 'downtown' I will become an Oilers fan. I'd be done.... just like the team in Calgary because it will financially fail.
no they wouldn't, they would still be better off than right now
Old 03-10-2022, 01:50 PM   #2082
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
If this arena is built anywhere other then 'downtown' I will become an Oilers fan. I'd be done.... just like the team in Calgary because it will financially fail.
It won't be, fun stop. Every major city now knows the importance of a downtown arena for NHL/NBA. NFL you can get away with it due to only 8 game a year.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 05:41 PM   #2083
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anywhere other than downtown or firepark would be the dumbest move in franchise history imo and csec knows it. Nobody on a work night wants a long drive home after the game!
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:20 PM   #2084
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
In my hypothetical situation I would assume the 3rd party would already be well into the negotiations with Edwards before they move on to dealing with the city. The '3rd party' could also be one or more of the current minority owners looking to take over the Edwards stake.
I see it the other way.

If you own the Arena in Calgary you have effectively bought the flames as soon as Edwards is selling it. Eventually the Saddledome wouldn’t work and the NHL won’t let the team move when a willing owner is present and you eliminate other buyers because owning the arena provides a significant cash flow.

Similar to what Kraft did with the Patriots. He bought the building and He wouldn’t let the owner out of the lease.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 11:05 PM   #2085
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
My understanding is equal shares, so 25%.

Last public estimate I saw was Edwards owns 67% or thereabouts.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:01 AM   #2086
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I see it the other way.

If you own the Arena in Calgary you have effectively bought the flames as soon as Edwards is selling it. Eventually the Saddledome wouldn’t work and the NHL won’t let the team move when a willing owner is present and you eliminate other buyers because owning the arena provides a significant cash flow.

Similar to what Kraft did with the Patriots. He bought the building and He wouldn’t let the owner out of the lease.
Where is this magic man coming from? Who is going to front $600M to construct a new building, with hopes that Edwards will sell to them, with similar hopes the NHL would force the Flames' ownership group to sell locally? How is this new owner going to strong arm the Flames into a long-term lease with this new building? Is the City of Calgary going to do this person a huge favor and demolish the Saddledome so the Flames are forced into the new building and signing any lease put before them? That's an awful big gamble to make, and I doubt Edwards would be bamboozled into the same play that Orthwein got suckered into by Kraft in Foxboro.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:50 AM   #2087
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
Anywhere other than downtown or firepark would be the dumbest move in franchise history imo and csec knows it. Nobody on a work night wants a long drive home after the game!
Who owns the old Firepark lands - is it still Yale Investments from Montreal? has it been built out already?

If so - it might be the best option for CSEC to pursue that doesn't involve the quagmire of City politics.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:15 AM   #2088
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Who owns the old Firepark lands - is it still Yale Investments from Montreal? has it been built out already?

If so - it might be the best option for CSEC to pursue that doesn't involve the quagmire of City politics.
I'm curious, how does the Firepark site not involve City Politics?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #2089
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Where is this magic man coming from? Who is going to front $600M to construct a new building, with hopes that Edwards will sell to them, with similar hopes the NHL would force the Flames' ownership group to sell locally? How is this new owner going to strong arm the Flames into a long-term lease with this new building? Is the City of Calgary going to do this person a huge favor and demolish the Saddledome so the Flames are forced into the new building and signing any lease put before them? That's an awful big gamble to make, and I doubt Edwards would be bamboozled into the same play that Orthwein got suckered into by Kraft in Foxboro.
I think it's unlikely to play out this way, but it doesn't have to be nearly has hard as you make it out to be.

An interested party needs only to match the CSEC level of contribution of the current/dead proposal. Which includes demolition of the saddledome. And the deal structure could be different - less capital contribution from partner with a higher portion of ticket tax to the city.

Securing eventual ownership of the Flames is a whole different kettle of fish, but in the meantime this 'magic man' would get their own 'owner's suite', etc.

Of course this individual/group would need additional reasoning/benefits/alignment with their core business for it to make sense:
- entertainment/hospitality
- real estate
- branding/advertising/media
- or some other mutual back scratching with the city
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:44 AM   #2090
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I think it's unlikely to play out this way, but it doesn't have to be nearly has hard as you make it out to be.

An interested party needs only to match the CSEC level of contribution of the current/dead proposal. Which includes demolition of the saddledome. And the deal structure could be different - less capital contribution from partner with a higher portion of ticket tax to the city.

Securing eventual ownership of the Flames is a whole different kettle of fish, but in the meantime this 'magic man' would get their own 'owner's suite', etc.

Of course this individual/group would need additional reasoning/benefits/alignment with their core business for it to make sense:
- entertainment/hospitality
- real estate
- branding/advertising/media
- or some other mutual back scratching with the city
Not sure this will convince Lanny. Should've just said aliens were going to front the $600M. Would've had him hook, line, and sinker.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 10:48 AM   #2091
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't Firepark a reclamation project in itself? Seems less appealing than downtown.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:42 AM   #2092
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills listening to people propose alternate locations when the only reason we could possibly afford to build a new arena is due to the CRL that was specifically outlined for the Rivers District.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 01:19 PM   #2093
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, bye.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #2094
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think there is a single thing this team could do to have me say “well I guess I am cheering for Edmonton”. They could relocate and I will still hate the oilers.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 01:37 PM   #2095
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills listening to people propose alternate locations when the only reason we could possibly afford to build a new arena is due to the CRL that was specifically outlined for the Rivers District.
I don't believe the City was planning to use the CRL to fund their share of the arena under the previous agreement. The capital funding was cobbled together from various reserves according to this.

Regardless, a CRL is just an accounting trick to reallocate property tax revenues. There's nothing stopping the City from creating another CRL somewhere, or finding other sources of financing.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #2096
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

An arena isn’t going to be built anywhere but downtown. The city wants it there, the Flames want it there, the Calgary Stampede foundation wants it there. Nobody is building it anywhere else.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:20 PM   #2097
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
The City has NEVER built a top line sports facility. The McMahon family built the football stadium and the Federal and Provincial governments built the Saddledome for the Olympics. Any renovations done to the Dome, including clean up after the flood were done by the Flames ownership group.
  1. The McMahon brothers did not build the football stadium, they donated $300,000 toward its construction. It was developed by the City and the University of Alberta at Calgary (became the UofC in 1966). It is still owned by the UofC. The McMahons otherwise had nothing to do with the construction of the stadium.
  2. The federal and provincial governments helped to fund the construction of the Saddledome, but they were otherwise not directly involved in its construction. The province and feds gave grants to the City, and the City managed the purse strings. Construction was managed by the Calgary Olympic Coliseum Society. The cost split was ~30% federal money, ~32% provincial money, ~32% City money, and the remainder nominally from the organizing committee (OCO '88). OCO '88 also paid an additional $1.5M to install seats at the press level before the Olympics; from the '83-'84 to '86-'87 NHL seasons there were no seats up there, and seating capacity was only 16,605.
  3. Renovations done since 1995 have been done by Flames ownership because they paid $20M to buy out the rights to operate the facility from the Stampede board. The major renos in '94 which added the luxury boxes at the 100 level were paid for by the Flames (~2/3) and government grants (~1/3), and the Flames managed the reno. (They're the ones who demanded it in the first place...). Prior to the '94-'95 season the Stampede board managed concessions, the parking, and received a cut of the gate receipts from the Flames, and the Flames found that untenable so they paid the one-time $20M fee and have managed the facility ever since. The Flames get all the revenue from the Saddledome, and in consideration of that they're on the hook for renos. As such, if you have any complaints about the current state of the arena, it's the Flames' fault.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 02:31 PM   #2098
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the summary Timun. The Flames really have done a piss poor job maintaining the building over the last 10 years.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:32 PM   #2099
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is all just a ploy to get back to the inverted bowl design!
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 02:40 PM   #2100
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Edwards selling the team is absurd, and smart guy like him would never do it IMO. Owning a professional sports team in a good market with a fanbase in any of the major sports in the world is only going to become more and more valuable and exclusive in the future.

I don't see any other sports coming out to disrupt the biggest leagues in the modern world any time soon (American Football, Football/Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, Golf, Hockey, Baseball, even Cricket?). Owning any of these franchises in the top tier leagues will become more and more expensive as tradition around the franchises continue to build. Look at any original 6 team and imagine them moving, and then think about what's going to happen in say 50 years time when the majority of teams in all the leagues have near to 100 years of history. The ability to buy any team will only be available in the destitution or death of an existing owner, as expansion will only be driven by population growth in other markets, which is unpredictable.

If you are rich, and smart, which are for the most part mutually inclusive, you are not selling a professional sports team any time soon.

Last edited by the-rasta-masta; 03-11-2022 at 02:50 PM.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good