Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #3521
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Because people challenge your list of excuses for Treliving?

Pandemic - every GM had to deal with this

Injuries - we were literally the healthiest team in the entire league last year
I think Tre has run his course but given the mandate from ownership to go for the playoffs every year what do you think he could have done differently. He did try and get Stone and Kadri and both fell apart for different reasons.

The Hamonic trade was bad but at the deadline in his UFA he was injured and Treliving wasn't going to trade Brodie for futures.

Same #### that can happen with Gaudreau this season. Ownership doesn't want to rebuild and hockey trades probably weren't there for Gaudreau this offseason. I hope they are either in a playoff spot or completely out of it this deadline.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:20 AM   #3522
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forwards are 100% better...Coleman is so under rated here it's ridiculous. He was one of the best 5 on 5 players on the back to back cup champs. It's like adding another bigger Mangi.

On D Gudbranson is a real head scratcher but he won't play or will hardly play IMO. Zadorov/Gio are so different it's hard to compare.

I think the Flames will have a better winning percentage this season than last.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:21 AM   #3523
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
He was good before his health problems.
Based on what metrics? Team results weren’t good and his underlying metrics were terrible combined with lowest career point totals before the blood clot stuff
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:23 AM   #3524
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Trust me, I would love to never have to talk about Treliving again

But he’s still fully in charge of the franchise and doing stuff like bringing in Gudbranson, leaving the captain exposed in an expansion draft, trading picks for expensive depth etc so unfortunately he’s going to be a topic of discussion in most threads
Can somebody do a wellness check on neo45? Sounds like he's being forced by gunpoint to post on CalgaryPuck about Treliving against his will. SOS.

There are a lot of things I would love not to talk about. None of which are things I willingly talk about.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #3525
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

But he’s still fully in charge of the franchise and doing stuff like bringing in Gudbranson, leaving the captain exposed in an expansion draft, trading picks for expensive depth etc so unfortunately he’s going to be a topic of discussion in most threads
What would you have done instead of exposing Gio?
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #3526
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
In my opinion this is really the first time since they tore down the Iginla/Kipper era that I think the team got worse on paper during the offseason.
Agree. But a better coach and players with a different style at least gives me some hope the team could improve.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #3527
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

I respect you want him gone.

I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.

I'm good with being upset with current moves.

But bringing up relatively minor consequence moves from 2017 isn't beating a dead horse?

He's not going to get fired before the season starts, so maybe save some powder for later in the year and the off season?
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #3528
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
What would you have done instead of exposing Gio?
I think with 4 years to prepare for the expansion draft the end results of losing the best player out of all 30 teams and then replacing him with Zadorov/Gudbranson is pretty indefensible and will really hurt us this year

Now to be fair I don’t know what a new GM coming in could have done to avoid losing Gio without overpaying, but I am pretty confident they could have done a better job replacing him. They would have been inheriting a tough situation from Brad
Old 09-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #3529
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I think with 4 years to prepare for the expansion draft the end results of losing the best player out of all 30 teams and then replacing him with Zadorov/Gudbranson is pretty indefensible and will really hurt us this year

Now to be fair I don’t know what a new GM coming in could have done to avoid losing Gio without overpaying, but I am pretty confident they could have done a better job replacing him. They would have been inheriting a tough situation from Brad
The tough situation being the fact that Giordano was out performing his contract into year six of a deal that many thought wouldn't age well making him the obvious target to be taken in the expansion draft especially after signing Chis Tanev and having him turn into the number one defensive defenseman in hockey?

Yep vicious.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2021, 11:36 AM   #3530
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Flames came out of both expansion drafts with gifts.

Gio will be back anyway. It’s one season.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #3531
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The tough situation being the fact that Giordano was out performing his contract into year six of a deal that many thought wouldn't age well making him the obvious target to be taken in the expansion draft especially after signing Chis Tanev and having him turn into the number one defensive defenseman in hockey?
Win now mandate and Covid chaos would have made it tough for any GM. I do think getting Zadorov and Gudbrandson was not the best spend of assets and cap seeing as the Flames have a D-core that is going to struggle with speed and offense unless Valimaki, Kylingon, or Mackey suddenly really step this year and Andersson rebounds.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #3532
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Yep vicious.
Tough situation being your roster just missed playoffs and yet every other team in the league managed to avoid losing that good of a player to an expansion draft they had half a decade to prepare for
Old 09-29-2021, 11:45 AM   #3533
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tough situation being your roster just missed playoffs and yet every other team in the league managed to avoid losing that good of a player to an expansion draft they had half a decade to prepare for
So was the answer to force a bad trade to keep Gio in the run-up seasons to the expansion draft? Gio is also old and an expiring contract, for the first half of the season he was not good. I think the biggest mistake last year was keeping Monahan playing injured and not giving Bennett the keys to second line center role.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2021, 11:49 AM   #3534
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
If they didn't sign Tanev and let Brodie walk they would have been prepared and you'd be happier?

Lets assume they still trade Bennett so he doesn't get taken.

So now the guy's a genius for losing next to nothing?

Your world would have Giordano on his final year of his contract at age 38 and not Tanev and this is better?
Old 09-29-2021, 11:49 AM   #3535
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Alot of talk for zero Speculation or Rumors
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #3536
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
Alot of talk for zero Speculation or Rumors
I think you're mistaken ... this is Treliving Must Go Topic #111.F
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #3537
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If they didn't sign Tanev and let Brodie walk they would have been prepared and you'd be happier?

Lets assume they still trade Bennett so he doesn't get taken.

So now the guy's a genius for losing next to nothing?

Your world would have Giordano on his final year of his contract at age 38 and not Tanev and this is better?
Defeating an expansion draft by having terrible depth isn’t a good thing. Not sure where you think I said that

He wouldn’t be a genius for losing no one in the expansion draft, he’s a bad GM for building a roster that couldn’t make playoffs in the worst division and STILL losing the best player in the expansion draft
Old 09-29-2021, 12:01 PM   #3538
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Forwards are 100% better...Coleman is so under rated here it's ridiculous. He was one of the best 5 on 5 players on the back to back cup champs. It's like adding another bigger Mangi.

On D Gudbranson is a real head scratcher but he won't play or will hardly play IMO. Zadorov/Gio are so different it's hard to compare.

I think the Flames will have a better winning percentage this season than last.
The man got a 6 x $29 million contract for crying out loud so expectations should be fairly high for him. The top 6 got upgraded and the defense downgraded so as always with this organization it's one step forward, one step back.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:04 PM   #3539
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

On exposing Gio - at the end of two seasons ago and pretty much almost to the TDL, Gio was playing poorly and exposing him looked like a pretty good idea.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:11 PM   #3540
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

The part of the Stone timeline that really deserves more focus is Treliving signing him hours before free agency and activating the condition that moved the 5th from the Flames to the Coyotes. A contract that would predictably be bought-out. Given the Flames were already offering a clear over-payment there was little to no risk of another team offering Stone enough to leave Calgary and no reason not to wait for July 1. Really strange decision.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post: