Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2021, 06:52 AM   #3381
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Why can't we draft/ trade like Columbus. Fell flat after competing two-three years ago. Huge changes. Team really looks reloaded now. Chinakov, sillinger, marchenko all look like absolute steals. Sitting on a talent like laine who could explode back to 50g.
That's exciting stuff for fans.

None of those guys have even played a game yet, I think it’s way too early to call them steals and say the team is reloaded. The Flames have drafted quite well lately and grabbed a very similar quality player to Sillinger in Coronato.

The Blue Jackets also gave up a 2019 first, a 2020 second, a 2021 second, and prospects for 30 games of Duchene and Dzingle.

Then they let Duchene, Dzingle, Panarin, and Bobrovsky all walk for nothing. They also moved Anderson for Domi which is looking like a big miss.

Last year they were terrible and they are projected to be terrible again this year. Not exactly a franchise to emulate IMO.

They are full on rebuilding now though and I get that lots of Flames fans want to see that in Calgary as well. Could happen as early as next off season depending on the Tkachuk / Gaudreau situation.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:04 AM   #3382
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
They are full on rebuilding now though and I get that lots of Flames fans want to see that in Calgary as well. Could happen as early as next off season depending on the Tkachuk / Gaudreau situation.
It's a damning endictment on the Flames organization that they're able to recognize the need for change only when dragged into it kicking and screaming by players forcing their way out.

This is not the way a healthy business is run.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:05 AM   #3383
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Why can't we draft/ trade like Columbus. Fell flat after competing two-three years ago. Huge changes. Team really looks reloaded now. Chinakov, sillinger, marchenko all look like absolute steals. Sitting on a talent like laine who could explode back to 50g.
That's exciting stuff for fans.
I don’t share near the same level of excitement for that team as you do. Those prospect names are not that impressive I am struggling to see how that team is the envy of anyone?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 07:18 AM   #3384
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
It's a damning endictment on the Flames organization that they're able to recognize the need for change only when dragged into it kicking and screaming by players forcing their way out.

Yeah, it’s basically what happened to Columbus though. Jones, PLD, and Anderson didn’t want to come back.

It took them losing Duchene, Panarin, and Bobrovsky for nothing to learn.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #3385
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t share near the same level of excitement for that team as you do. Those prospect names are not that impressive I am struggling to see how that team is the envy of anyone?
They beat Tampa in the playoffs once
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:49 AM   #3386
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post

I'm sure Murray Edwards could use your help on how to run a business.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #3387
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Frank Seravalli replaced Elliotte Friedman on 960 starting this morning (apparently Elliotte will be back - just mentioned by Booomer). Not a lot of news but when Gaudreau was discussed it could be summed up as this.

Johnny wants to get paid. Flames don't want to pay what he wants. Not yet anyway.

Also found it interesting that he says the NHLPA have sided or at least were on the side of the Buffalo doctors in regards to what surgery Eichel should get. Sounds like Jack is really on an island right now.

Last edited by Toonage; 09-28-2021 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Friedman clarification, some Eichel stuff
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #3388
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Frank Seravalli replaced Elliotte Friedman on 960 starting this morning. Not a lot of news but when Gaudreau was discussed it could be summed up as this.

Johnny wants to get paid. Flames don't want to pay what he wants. Not yet anyway.
Is Friedman not going to be in the FAN anymore?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:10 AM   #3389
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Frank Seravalli replaced Elliotte Friedman on 960 starting this morning. Not a lot of news but when Gaudreau was discussed it could be summed up as this.

Elliot stopped doing his Tuesday hits a couple years ago. I would imagine he will be on at some point......Boomer saying as much right now.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:13 AM   #3390
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
They beat Tampa in the playoffs once
That was it. They basically went for it when they had some expiring UFA's, loaded up with some rentals, had some extremely modest success and are now rebuilding. You look at their record over last 5 seasons and it is very Flames-ish, including the one big regular season that is an outlier.

I don't see them as anything to emulate but at least I do understand what they were doing. For whatever reason, our team can't seem to commit one way or the other which is why the Eichel trade is appealing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:23 AM   #3391
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Frank Seravalli replaced Elliotte Friedman on 960 starting this morning (apparently Elliotte will be back - just mentioned by Booomer). Not a lot of news but when Gaudreau was discussed it could be summed up as this.

Also found it interesting that he says the NHLPA have sided or at least were on the side of the Buffalo doctors in regards to what surgery Eichel should get. Sounds like Jack is really on an island right now.
Johnny signed a very team friendly deal last time around and stirs the drink for this team, just pay the man his money already.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #3392
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Johnny SHOULD want to get paid...without him we're f***ed
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #3393
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If Eichel is hell bent on the alternate surgery this could get messy. Just my opinion but I sense the Flames thought they may be able to negotiate an extension for Johnny but maybe the term or asking price changed after the draft and the team has no other choice but to take a wait and see approach on how Johnny starts the season. Not ideal but this is what happens when the GM takes a reactive approach to a top player nearing agency.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:30 AM   #3394
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Johnny signed a very team friendly deal last time around and stirs the drink for this team, just pay the man his money already.
This. If the issue is Tre trying to save some money or low-balling to show how shrewd a manager he is, get over it. There is no plan b with this team. As a fan I'll be so mad if we later find out that what Johnny wanted was reasonable and smartest guy in the room wouldn't budge.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #3395
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
This. If the issue is Tre trying to save some money or low-balling to show how shrewd a manager he is, get over it. There is no plan b with this team. As a fan I'll be so mad if we later find out that what Johnny wanted was reasonable and smartest guy in the room wouldn't budge.

Was plan A to play Ritchie with him last year so he had bad stats then try to re-sign him at a lower value? The Bennett strategy but applied to an established star?
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #3396
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Just because you can't see the plan doesn't mean there isn't one. It is as though people like to think this organization is run by seventh graders.

Maybe the plan is start the season with the intent of competing for the playoffs. If that fails, start the rebuild. It's a win-win as far as I'm concerned. Enjoy the ride, man. It's only sports. There will be highs and lows.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #3397
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I don't understand why the GM let it get to this. Surely he could have been gauging what Gaudreau wanted prior to the draft. There are a lot of moving parts as it's possible Treliving feels he could get as good of a return for Johnny at the trade deadline than he was offered at the draft. Still that puts the team in an awkward position if the team is in a playoff position and has to trade their best forward at the deadline. Worse yet keeping the player, not making any noise in the playoffs, and losing him for nothing. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #3398
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we overpay Gaudreau, maybe we won't be signing plugs and unnecessary filler like Gudbanson every off-season.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #3399
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Just because you can't see the plan doesn't mean there isn't one. It is as though people like to think this organization is run by seventh graders.

Maybe the plan is start the season with the intent of competing for the playoffs. If that fails, start the rebuild. It's a win-win as far as I'm concerned. Enjoy the ride, man. It's only sports. There will be highs and lows.
You're always shooting off such empty platitudes. Highs and lows. LOL when was the last high for this franchise?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 08:49 AM   #3400
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Johnny SHOULD want to get paid...without him we're f***ed
I think the issue with signing Johnny is that he isn't going to help win a cup as a top-line player.

So if we sign him to a big contract, we are essentially going to stick in mediocrity, fighting for a playoff spot for the duration of his contract. We will draft 10-15 each year, which won't get any serious talent to surround him with.

We will be in the same position at the end of his contract as we are now, just 8 years down the line.

If you could get a reasonable package at the TDL then I think you take it. I feel like Johnny on a second-line role with a bigger team could actually be a good fit for a team with cup aspirations.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote