Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2022, 07:26 PM   #4001
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I suspect Tony will treat the ROH brand with respect. Once AEW starts streaming they're probably going to stream the ROH library too, and have a weekly show as well. At least that's my gut feeling.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:42 PM   #4002
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Streaming on HBO Max, would that mean subsequent streaming on Crave?

I would love love love for them to pick up ROH and make them a separate brand / feeder system.
Possibly, but crave doesnt do everything from hbomax

Most of the immediate streaming release movies last year like suicide squad, dune, etc. Didnt stream on crave for months.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:10 AM   #4003
king_amonte
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://youtu.be/ThKeeYthpyk

Absolute awesome uncensored interview with Vince McMahon from
The Pat McAfee Show today. Highly recommend if you have the time.
Lets Retire #10....not Roberts.....Amonte
king_amonte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to king_amonte For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2022, 11:20 AM   #4004
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_amonte View Post
https://youtu.be/ThKeeYthpyk

Absolute awesome uncensored interview with Vince McMahon from
The Pat McAfee Show today. Highly recommend if you have the time.
Watched it live. So different to see Vince as a human instead of a character.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:41 PM   #4005
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Punk/MJF feud might be the best pro wrestling feud I've seen in decades.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2022, 07:29 PM   #4006
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just an incredible run they are on

Every match feels like it could go anyway too, outside Jade v tay you can make a case for anything
Old 03-05-2022, 08:30 PM   #4007
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like, Jesus Christ. MJF's promo last week was promo of the year until Punk cut this one.

https://youtu.be/ez7rTA3Sexo
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:19 PM   #4008
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the stars
Old 03-07-2022, 08:37 AM   #4009
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

William Regal is All Elite

https://twitter.com/user/status/1500818558351200259
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2022, 09:41 AM   #4010
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty strong PPV last night.

Didn't love the end to Danielson / Moxley as it felt a bit botched and looked like Danielson's shoulders were up...but that likely plays into the story with Moxley, Danielson, and Regal. I don't know why but I immediately get Kane-Bryan vibes from how this is going to work out with them as a potential tag team.

They do seem to be setting up for the Bullet Club civil war a little bit here...Hangman shaking Cole's hand was intriguing, and the ReDragon vs Young Bucks hints continue.

Overall I am having a harder time enjoying some of the heavy blading and the risks that AEW is taking though.

Honestly having Punk, MJF, Danielson, and Moxley all blade in the course of an hour was a bit much, and they probably should have tried to separate those matches on the card a little more.

No idea why Sting is jumping off the building at 62 years old, sure it was awesome but man that's asking a lot of his body. (As an aside AEW has made Sting look like a true legend, and really do a good job of making him feel important in his matches)

And the Spanish Fly off the set is probably the craziest move I've seen, and I'm just happy nobody got hurt because that had very little room for error.

The power bomb onto the ladder was crazy risky by Starks and Wardlow too....if that ladder unexpected breaks then Starks probably has a broken neck.

Overall it's all very entertaining, and these are huge spots, but man as I get older (and maybe being a parent now too), do I have a hard time watching some of these spots and not immediately going "That really feels like unnecessary risk for what's a 3v3 match that had a poor set up and isn't really paying off a major fued".

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-07-2022 at 09:45 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #4011
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Yeah if I have any criticism at the moment for AEW, it's using blood a bit too much, using too many spots (e.g. the Spanish Fly or the Sting Balcony jump should not be on the same show), and the huge roster.

That said, they do know how to make me invested in storylines, including the Punk/MJF saga and the Wardlow slow-burn face turn.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #4012
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah if I have any criticism at the moment for AEW, it's using blood a bit too much, using too many spots (e.g. the Spanish Fly or the Sting Balcony jump should not be on the same show), and the huge roster.
They happened like 5 minutes apart which is the craziest part.

The Spanish Fly felt completely wasted because a couple minutes later a 62 year old man is jumping through three tables off the zamboni exit.

And really neither big spot actually played directly into the finish of the match.

Was a bit funny because a lot of people thought it was just going to be a quick match to give a bit of a rest prior to the main event, and instead it was a spot filled crazy match.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:14 AM   #4013
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I am a longtime wrestling fan, and when I was 25 I thought spot-fests were awesome. Today? Not so much. I would rather a more visceral/technical/strong style that sells believability through raw human instinct - not circus acts.

I think about the matches between Kobashi/Misawa/Kawada/Taue, KENTA/Marafuji or Okada/Tanahashi/Omega and I think that's the right balance for matches.

But I am a smarky smark who loves pure wrestling and I realize I am in the minority when trying to appeal to a larger audience. I think that's why I enjoy the non-WWE products out there.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #4014
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I should add that I also love good hoss fights - some of the matches from Vader/Bam Bam Bigelow/Stan Hansen/Boss Man are just crazy fun to watch because their 'spots' are few and far between. Most of the match is brute strength slams and strikes.

On a related note, Vader is going into the WWE Hall of Fame. FINALLY!
Old 03-07-2022, 03:34 PM   #4015
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't mins the sting spot because the 3 tables definitely broke the fall.

The Spanish fly was so dangerous with how it was set up and Kassidy definitely smacked his head on the table that didn't break.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #4016
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
But I am a smarky smark who loves pure wrestling and I realize I am in the minority when trying to appeal to a larger audience.

While wrestling is making a lot of money it has also, probably, never been less mainstream. The move to the spot-fest style came in as this trend to niche was happening.

I'll be honest, I am with you and I don't think we are far off from what makes wrestling popular. Bigger than life characters and realistic action. Like, everyone knows it's fake but at least give us the ability to believe. A guy who just took a major beat down getting up to immediately do a corkscrew back flip plancha into five guys who just stand there and watch, blatantly catch him and gently roll back just isn't entertaining.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 10:53 AM   #4017
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I'll be honest, I am with you and I don't think we are far off from what makes wrestling popular. Bigger than life characters and realistic action. Like, everyone knows it's fake but at least give us the ability to believe. A guy who just took a major beat down getting up to immediately do a corkscrew back flip plancha into five guys who just stand there and watch, blatantly catch him and gently roll back just isn't entertaining.
My biggest issue with AEW is the blatant set ups for these big spots that make no sense.

Sammy climbs up to the stage and hits Isiah in the stomach twice, and then Isiah just stands there trying to get his footing while Sammy sets up and does the crazy signal to his head.

The move looked cool, but especially on the re-watch it loses it's impact when it set up in such an unrealistic way.

Same thing with the Sting set up. Hardy is dragging Sting to the stadium...but then just kind of walks away from him and lets him jump onto his partner from the stage. I don't even recall if Sting even punched Hardy, I think Hardy just walked away.

The big tag team matches and multi-man spots tend to be really bad for this in AEW, and I think it does hurt when attracting more casuals.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:05 AM   #4018
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Bingo . . . The thing I have noticed in the spot-fest era is too much 'prep' time to get ready for a move. This is why classic moves, fast-paced action, chain wrestling, and strikes are so much more believable.

Seven guys linking arms and waiting almost a full 10 seconds for a turnbuckle bodydrop spot is just . . . . ugh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #4019
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
My biggest issue with AEW is the blatant set ups for these big spots that make no sense.

One of the reasons I was (and honestly continue to be, though I am aware that I should probably just let this gripe go) so slow to open up to AEW in full is that the Young Bucks, two of the founding four, are probably the poster boys for everything that I find to be wrong with modern wrestling. Every match is a ten minute vignette to make sure they get all their spots in and there are no wasted seconds or chances to let anything set in and process. Just gogogogogogogogo.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #4020
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

After having watched the Wrestle Kingdom matches of Nakamura/Styles in 2016, Omega/Jericho and Okada/Naito in 2018, and then Okada/Ibushi and Naito/Okada in 2020, all in person at the Tokyo Dome... I couldn't care less that wrestling is fake if that's something people still care about. I'd say that proper storytelling, combined with the right pace of moves / rhythm in how they're performed, and the right emotions with the right buildup, is the most captivating way to do a wrestling match. NXT 2015-2019 was some of the best and most consistent wrestling product ever done for this reason.

Oh, I don't care about spot fests either (I'm with Blaster, not a fan of the Young Bucks for this reason). Like Ozy said, the setup and execution of these moves is often times painfully awkward. Talented to pull off, yes... but painfully awkward as well.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post: