Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2021, 09:11 AM   #3401
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post

I do quite like Henry Cavill though, his portrayal as Superman/Clark wins me over. It's a shame that he may not get solo movies anymore, yet they are still doing solo Superman movies? I don't understand this concept. Why are they so eager to replace him with someone new? He's the best thing they have in the DCEU right now.

I really liked him as Superman, he had some good Chris Reeve's vibes going as well, and wasn't as stiff as the previous superman. Amy Adam's is a really good actress, but was wrong for Luis Lane who needed to be a brassier character and AA couldn't pull it off. However the villains really made MOS, they were really conflicted and ruined villains.

I would like to see Cavill get another swing at Superman.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:47 AM   #3402
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I really liked him as Superman, he had some good Chris Reeve's vibes going as well, and wasn't as stiff as the previous superman. Amy Adam's is a really good actress, but was wrong for Luis Lane who needed to be a brassier character and AA couldn't pull it off. However the villains really made MOS, they were really conflicted and ruined villains.

I would like to see Cavill get another swing at Superman.
Now when I see Cavill all I see is Geralt of Rivia.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #3403
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 06:21 PM   #3404
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It took me well over a week but got through Justice League. I liked almost all of it. There are things that are obviously lacking but it was pretty fun to watch. I’d be all over a continuation of his vision that I can watch from my living room in bite sized chunks.

I glanced through comments in the thread and had to chuckle at those who rushed in to say how much they hated it. Or maybe they didn’t watch it, I don’t know. No one could have. even surprised by any of it IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:28 PM   #3405
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Henry Cavill is one of the most wooden actors I've ever seen.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:53 PM   #3406
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It took me well over a week but got through Justice League. I liked almost all of it. There are things that are obviously lacking but it was pretty fun to watch. I’d be all over a continuation of his vision that I can watch from my living room in bite sized chunks.

I glanced through comments in the thread and had to chuckle at those who rushed in to say how much they hated it. Or maybe they didn’t watch it, I don’t know. No one could have. even surprised by any of it IMO.
You liked it? Yeah, you obviously didn’t watch it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #3407
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It's definitely better than the original. But it's not good, like the honest trailer says, the original was terrible, this was mediocre.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 07:54 PM   #3408
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just wait until the Black and White ZS version comes out, that'll fix everything.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 09:05 AM   #3409
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You liked it? Yeah, you obviously didn’t watch it.
Neat. Did you short AT&T stock or something?
Old 03-31-2021, 09:13 AM   #3410
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
It's definitely better than the original. But it's not good, like the honest trailer says, the original was terrible, this was mediocre.
A "mediocre" movie involving these characters is probably still something I will enjoy watching and find entertaining.

I'm just surprised that so many people who were never going to like it still invested four hours in watching it almost as soon as they were able. And then rib those who enjoyed it.

That's kind of weird.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 10:04 AM   #3411
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Sort of this. But I will give it some credit, there were scenes I actually enjoyed.

The problem....lol...'the' as in theres only one which is false. Its still got a lot of problems.

A 'few' enjoyable scenes is pretty pathetic out of a 4 hour movie that got a 4-year mulligan and probably an extra $100M in production budget.

Its absolutely better than the theatrical release, but its still a terrible film.

I could take the comics this movie was based on, give them to a random 10 year old, and once he is done reading them he could probably direct a better movie given the resources.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:13 AM   #3412
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Defund Zach Snyder!!
Old 03-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #3413
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Defund Zach Snyder!!
Its too late for that. They already did that. Then they re-funded him.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:27 AM   #3414
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Neat. Did you short AT&T stock or something?
Nah, just having a chuckle at the dumb "maybe they didn't watch it."
Old 03-31-2021, 10:31 AM   #3415
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just surprised that so many people who were never going to like it still invested four hours in watching it almost as soon as they were able.
You can put me in that boat. I don't have HBO and did not have any plans to watch it, but last week I was traveling and it was on in my hotel room. So I watched it while I did work on my laptop. I would not call it a huge investment as I had nothing else to do.

I didn't mind it. It did fill out the story better, but there was also a lot that could have been. I still don't get the point of the fishing village singers smelling Aquaman's sweater. The fact they recently filmed the after-credit seen with the Joker bothered me. I mean that had nothing to do with the plot and was only some alternate reality that didn't happen.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #3416
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
A "mediocre" movie involving these characters is probably still something I will enjoy watching and find entertaining.

I'm just surprised that so many people who were never going to like it still invested four hours in watching it almost as soon as they were able. And then rib those who enjoyed it.

That's kind of weird.
I kept hearing that this was Snyder's original vision, only like 30 mins from the JS JL was in it. So I was hoping for more than mediocre. I don't hate DC characters...I actually like them, quite a bit. But the representation of them have been mediocre at best...except in Shazam! so I hope Black Adam delivers the same way.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:06 PM   #3417
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

That's kind of weird.
I think most people who didn't like it had their minds made up before they even pressed play.

It is what it is, if it was a Marvel movie we'd all be dancing in the streets and calling each other 'woke'.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:39 PM   #3418
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think most people who didn't like it had their minds made up before they even pressed play.

It is what it is, if it was a Marvel movie we'd all be dancing in the streets and calling each other 'woke'.
Not true, if Marvel put out a mediocre movie we would call them out on it as well...Iron Man 2 and 3 were not good, Thor 2 was also not good. Both mediocre movies.

Heck even if we take it out of Marvel and DC, Kick-Ass was a good movie worth watching. But this was mainly due to the writing, directing and the actors of the film. The second kind of sucked so that was the end of it.

The issue is that when your massive team up movies are crap you hear about it. Batman V Superman needed another directors cut not to be complete garbage and still was a bad movie after.

Many marvel fans including myself weren't all that pleased with Age of Ultron. However it wasn't a complete bag of garbage. That had to be remade into a longer slightly better version.

You aren't hearing marvel fans begging for the Josh Trank version of Fantastic Four...threatening to ruin peoples lives and not ever watching another Fox property again.

Yes F4 isn't as big as a group the JL but it's still a huge part of Marvel. Fortunately we will get to see how the MCU version of the team will be made and dealt with. Perhaps it will be great or maybe they will be slowly built up in the universe in other shows then given their own movie.

It is yet to be seen.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:19 PM   #3419
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I'll never stop finding it funny that some people can't accept people who didn't like a movie (or videogame for that matter) because it was a bad movie, but that it must be because of bias, competing fanboyism, prejudice against the film or the people who made it, or that they simply didn't watch it.

It's equally fun to just throw those same types of write-offs right back at the people who do it though, so it's all in good fun. Especially when those people hold up a lameo movie as some FU to the woke mob and the Chinese censors. LOL

I'm excited to watch the next Suicide Squad so I can stick it to liberal safe spaces and the Russian oligarcy. I am very edgy and anti-establishment.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 02:19 PM   #3420
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah I gotta disagree with part 2 here.

I enjoyed Snyder's Justice League. Thought it was as good as it could be following the mess of BvS. I'd probably watch more movies from this universe if it continued which is not something I would have said before.

However, I probably wont watch this again. I've watch Endgame, Infinity War and Other Marvel movies many times over and will again. They are entertaining and well-constructed films that have strong pay-offs from a 10-year investment in multiple story arcs, an achievement in storytelling that JL isn't even in the same stratosphere with.

But it was an improvement on BvS and from what little I saw of the original JL, no doubt. If you like the DC characters its worth watching. But no more so that any of the excellent (and far superior) animated films they have available.