Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #1161
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you are looking now get the Mario Bundle. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product.../11580223.aspx
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #1162
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I'm on the fence, is the switch worth buying now? I'm really jonesing for a good Mario game after playing Super Mario World over the weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I'm on the fence, is the switch worth buying now? I'm really jonesing for a good Mario game after playing Super Mario World over the weekend.
If you're a Zelda or Mario fan, it's a given. Breath of the Wild and Odyssey are some of the highest reviewed games of all time - which is incredible. Probably going to be top 1-2 games of the year. After those games, there's a lot of solid to great games: Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario Rabbids, Fire Emblem Warriors, etc.

It's fantastic for party games too. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is amazing and Snipperclips is a lot of fun. There's nothing quite like detaching the Joy Cons and giving it to a significant other or a friend to enjoy. The library is growing pretty significantly. Lots of noteworth indie games on the Nintendo eShop - Stardew Valley, Golf Story, Shovel Knight.

The third party library is growing too with Doom, Wolfenstein, and Skyrim slated to come out within the next couple of months.

I'd say it is worth it to get. I got mine maybe two months ago now and I've been enjoying it immensely and continuously since then.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #1163
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
If you are looking now get the Mario Bundle. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product.../11580223.aspx
I saw this morning and its 100% tempting to pop down to the best buy and snag one.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #1164
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bundle costs more than buying it individually though...I guess you get the carry case, but...meh.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #1165
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The bundle costs more than buying it individually though...I guess you get the carry case, but...meh.
Don't forget a screen protector also, lol. so $20 for a case and screen protector.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #1166
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those red joy cons are pretty nice though. I was hoping that the neon red ones were less... neony. The real "Mario red" ones would look pretty nice. I assume that they won't be sold separately?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #1167
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Those red joy cons are pretty nice though. I was hoping that the neon red ones were less... neony. The real "Mario red" ones would look pretty nice. I assume that they won't be sold separately?
I did a quick search on the Best Buy website and didn't see anything. I think I saw them at Wal Mart sometime last week. According to this picture, it's supposed to be offered in a mini-bundle with the carrying case.
Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic
I saw this morning and its 100% tempting to pop down to the best buy and snag one.
You should get one and report back here. It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:03 AM   #1168
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikiz View Post
I did a quick search on the Best Buy website and didn't see anything. I think I saw them at Wal Mart sometime last week. According to this picture, it's supposed to be offered in a mini-bundle with the carrying case.
Spoiler!

You should get one and report back here. It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts.
So I bought the Super Mario bundle, I needed a cover anyways since I have the worst luck with screens like the Switch has. Plus it looks pretty sweet.

I like the red joy cons and it looks pretty slick so it was worth the extra 20$ I would have spent anyways getting the switch and Mario.

It does not come with a screen protector, atleast the ones from EB didn't. No biggie but it sounds like BestBuy either gave that as a promo item or it just didn't make the cut?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...m_best_buy_is/

Last edited by Otto-matic; 10-28-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #1169
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Orzly tempered glass screen protector is probably better anyway and is cheap.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #1170
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Mario was in development since 2013 and Zelda even longer than that...hopefully they can keep the quality but speed up the process.
I'm okay with the games taking a little longer in development if they come out with 10/10 all time classics as a result. I'd rather they take 3-4 years to make an amazing game than 1-2 years to make something just 'good' that everyone forgets about in 3 months (like most big developers and publishers).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #1171
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toys R Us with a 15% off online sale which doesn't include electronics/games, but for whatever reason the Mario Odyssey Bundle slipped through and can be had for $425 instead of $500 before tax if ordered for instore pickup.

I'm not sure how I feel about the digital code part... Or even if I'm going to keep it. But buy first, feverishly debate after I guess.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #1172
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
But buy first, feverishly debate after I guess.
Always. Always my friend.

You can always cancel or return for no loss other than some gas and time.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #1173
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Toronto Star article on Nintendo's bounce-back year:

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...o-odyssey.html

Notes that the Switch is the top selling console in the country this year. 209,000 Switches to 205,000 PS4s. X-Box... exists, I guess.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #1174
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Firing up Odyssey for the first time today. Can’t wait! Still need to finish Zelda though
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #1175
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Notes that the Switch is the top selling console in the country this year. 209,000 Switches to 205,000 PS4s. X-Box... exists, I guess.
Kind of odd that they picked this year's sales for a console that's been out for 4 years, instead of comparing first few months of Switch vs first few months of the others.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #1176
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Kind of odd that they picked this year's sales for a console that's been out for 4 years, instead of comparing first few months of Switch vs first few months of the others.
It actually handicaps the Switch twice. Nintendo has barely seven months of sales compared to 10 for PS4. Also, the third and fourth years tend to be the peak for a console. This is, in fact the PS4's best selling year overall.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #1177
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Liking Mario Odyssey so far, it's been pretty easy but I assume it gets harder as it goes. I like there being tons of secrets and hidden things. I don't like that it doesn't seem to tell you how many total moons there are in the kingdom (unless I'm missing it).

Though there was one area that I got stuck at for a while:

Spoiler!
Old 10-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #1178
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Liking Mario Odyssey so far, it's been pretty easy but I assume it gets harder as it goes. I like there being tons of secrets and hidden things. I don't like that it doesn't seem to tell you how many total moons there are in the kingdom (unless I'm missing it).

Though there was one area that I got stuck at for a while:

Spoiler!
You are missing it. If you hit the minus button to open the brochure, then press 'Y', you get a list of all the moons. If you take a hint it will appear in the list. It is daunting though, when you feel like you've explored most of the world already and find you still have 25 left to find!

I've got close to 150 moons now, the game is phenomenal. Probably my game of the year.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #1179
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My tactic is to search the entire level and then buy hints from toad for 50 coins, this will put an X on the map where the star is. Then you can talk to the parrot and they will tell you name of the star. So with that you have the location and a hint as to what you are looking for, makes it much easier to fully complete a level.

Each level will have some moons that won't have hints as you have to defeat bowser to unlock them.

Also what I have learned is that the majority of Murals (2D parts) and doors have a hidden moons in them as well. All Doors seem to have 2 moons, one hidden and one for completing it.

I have fully completed the first 4 maps (intro, prehistoric, sand and lake)
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #1180
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Send Amiibos out to do searches as well. Saves you the 50 coins.