Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2018, 09:47 PM   #181
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too bad I can’t make the bike ride, since I’m doing the Drumheller Half the following day. Maybe next time...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 12:44 AM   #182
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been thinking about getting another bikepacking bike.

I already got a Benno boost, Surly Big Dummy and a Surly Big fat dummy.

The rep for my shops territory offered me a Marin Nicasio ridge for 20% wholesle and Im very tempted to take it.

Firt prodution bike to offer the dropper post controls in the left brake /shifter combo ona 1x11 system.

https://www.marinbikes.com/ca/bikes/...-nicasio-ridge
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #183
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm going to do the CP Ride route this morning just to make sure there's no construction or unsafe conditions. I'll be down at Cold Garden around 9am if anyone's awake and wants to join me.

EDIT: 40% chance of rain turned into 100% so I'm waiting 30-40 minutes for it to pass.

EDIT 2: It's still raining down here and I don't have time to wait. I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited by KTrain; 09-01-2018 at 08:44 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #184
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, wind woke me up this morning around 5am. After not riding for 19 days and doing two straight days commuting (plus that wind in the afternoons) I just couldn't do it. Hopefully I can get a ride or two in on the weekend to make up for it.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 07:19 AM   #185
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The Windfinder app and my window is telling me it's calmed down quite a bit. At least that's what I'm telling myself. The CP route is easy on elevation but unforgiving for wind.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #186
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah it definitely calmed down since my usual departure time for work on Saturday. I was looking at my Nav Canada wind page and it was gusting from the north over 50km/h at that time.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #187
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Been thinking about getting another bikepacking bike.

I already got a Benno boost, Surly Big Dummy and a Surly Big fat dummy.

The rep for my shops territory offered me a Marin Nicasio ridge for 20% wholesle and Im very tempted to take it.

Firt prodution bike to offer the dropper post controls in the left brake /shifter combo ona 1x11 system.

https://www.marinbikes.com/ca/bikes/...-nicasio-ridge

Beautiful bike! Not sure if you want my input but i'm going to give it anyway:

I guess it depends on the type of bikepacking you are going to be doing. Just local stuff a couple days at a time, it is probably going be a fine bike. If you're going to use it for expedition style bikepacking though, I think there are a lot better bikes out there.

Do you really want road geometry? I think you should be heading in the direction of MTB geometry if you want to be getting offroad.

Some interesting gearing on that bike 42T x 9-44. I think it's geared a little high for bikepacking as well. 42x44 gives 26 gear inches. On my bikepacking bike I have 19 gear inches available to bail me out steep climbs while loaded with 50lbs of gear + a 20lb bike.

If it was me, I would put a 30T chainring on. Not sure what the BCD is though, likely too large to accept a small chainring like that.

Also I would consider tire clearance. Comes with 47mm, so can probably accept around 2" max. There are lots of really nice tires out in the 2.4-3.0" range that work well for bikepacking that you may not be able to utilize here.

Hydraulic brakes are a no go for me for bikepacking. There was just a person who was doing the Silk Road Mountain Race in Kyrgyzstan and lost all pressure in the hyd brakes and couldn't finish. I'm mechanical all the way.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #188
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post

I guess it depends on the type of bikepacking you are going to be doing. Just local stuff a couple days at a time, it is probably going be a fine bike. If you're going to use it for expedition style bikepacking though, I think there are a lot better bikes out there.

Do you really want road geometry? I think you should be heading in the direction of MTB geometry if you want to be getting offroad.

Some interesting gearing on that bike 42T x 9-44. I think it's geared a little high for bikepacking as well. 42x44 gives 26 gear inches. On my bikepacking bike I have 19 gear inches available to bail me out steep climbs while loaded with 50lbs of gear + a 20lb bike.

If it was me, I would put a 30T chainring on. Not sure what the BCD is though, likely too large to accept a small chainring like that.

Also I would consider tire clearance. Comes with 47mm, so can probably accept around 2" max. There are lots of really nice tires out in the 2.4-3.0" range that work well for bikepacking that you may not be able to utilize here.

Hydraulic brakes are a no go for me for bikepacking. There was just a person who was doing the Silk Road Mountain Race in Kyrgyzstan and lost all pressure in the hyd brakes and couldn't finish. I'm mechanical all the way.
Quote:

I appreciate your opinion.

I already have my Big Fat Dummy and Big Dummy kitted out for longer bike trips .

This would be for just over night for a day or two camping on the other islands.

The gewring isn't to bad. The Local Marin rep brought one into the Shop I work at. I wouldn't lower it that low I would only go as low as 38t possibly 36t.

For longer trips this is my touring/ lighter packing beast
right now.

Good thing I work In a shop other wise this bike would have taken both arms and legs to pay for retail.

Surly Big dummy

One side has a Surly Bag
One side has a pannier rack so I can take my 2 ortlieb back roller pro plus bags

Eventually Ill add a Surly front Nice Rack for 2 Ortlieb gravel bags to match my Ortlieb gravel frame bag.

It has a Rohloff speed hub
S.O.N lights
Jones bars
Surly 2.5 extraterrestrials

Electric assist from Grin tech ( for those really eeally long

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 09-02-2018 at 01:08 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #189
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet! How much does it weigh loaded? Have you done any long term expeditions. How does it do in singletrack?

I run a Surly Troll that I built up myself. Really wanted a rohloff, but ended up 1x11. I run a sinwave beacon off a son dynamo and Jones bars too. I used to run ETs but have switched that up to 2.35 maxxis ikons.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #190
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sweet! How much does it weigh loaded? Have you done any long term expeditions. How does it do in singletrack?

I run a Surly Troll that I built up myself. Really wanted a rohloff, but ended up 1x11. I run a sinwave beacon off a son dynamo and Jones bars too. I used to run ETs but have switched that up to 2.35 maxxis ikons.
Bikes about 60lbs with the electric on it. 42ish without . I often ride it switched off with out noticing the weight.

Loaded i add anywhere from 50 to 160 lbs.

I have taken it on some long hauls . Couple thousand kms trips but mostly just 300km to 500km rides.

On single tracks it is perfectly fine . Handles just like a Troll/1x1 since they all share the same geo up front. You never notice it is a long tail. I actually prefer the longer wheel base. Handles way better at speed and I can go down steeper drops with out fear of going ass over tea kettle.

I've done full blown mountain bike trails with huge rock gardens even. Im in the midst of building one of these from the frame up to replace the BF for hardcore stuff tho.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 09-03-2018 at 02:32 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #191
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
CP Ride: Saturday, September 8 @ 9am & 10am

Both rides are "no drop" rides. We're just out to have fun and get some kms in before the weather turns. There are virtually no hills on this ride so we'll be able to go at a decent pace but no one will be left behind. We'd like to try to maintain 25km/h, give or take a couple kms for stops.

Starting at Cold Garden (1100 11 St SE, Calgary, AB T2G 4T3). There is lots of parking on the street and a little lot at the brewery. It's far enough off the main strip of Inglewood that I don't believe you have to pay for parking either. Cold Garden does not have food but we can order in. However, I've got a line on some great Italian paninis, so I'll be bring a bunch for everyone post ride. If you have really specific diet needs, you're probably on your own for food.

We'll be leaving sharp at these times. If you can't make the ride but want to come for a beer anyway, we'll be there between 1:30 and 2pm.

102km (212m) @9am (wheels down)
https://www.strava.com/routes/15249995
Stops in Chestermere, Langdon, Canal Path before heading back to Cold Garden

62km (134m) @ 10am (wheels down)
https://www.strava.com/routes/15249199
Stop in Chestermere

All riders should have the usual stuff with them. Spare tube, pump/canister, tire repair stuff, a couple water bottles, a bit of food (energy bars, etc).

Here are the people who said they'd be attending:

KTrain
Worth
hungryhun
ken0042
the_only_turek_fan

Maybes:
habernac
Fuzz (super soft)
Coys1882 (at the end so we can draft off him)

[If you're going to join us on the ride, let me know and I'll add you to the list. Let me know which distance you're doing as well.

If you're bringing friends, let me know as well so I can have enough sandwiches for everyone.
Well I would bring one if I had one.......
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #192
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Well I would bring one if I had one.......
haha, I will bring one for you...
Old 09-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #193
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Is anybody else looking to do the shorter route?

That's also an open invitation to anybody who may feel intimidated- we can certainly go with a pace that works for everybody.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #194
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, out for the ride. My wife works and my kids have both ringette and hockey.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #195
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have gone through 2 bottom brackets on my mountain bike this season. The first one started grinding after a ride in some muddy/clay conditions. The second started grinding after a dry and dusty ride. I estimate each bracket had about 300 kms of use. I don’t think this is common and is there something else I should be looking at for the cause of the brackets wearing out?
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #196
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ a few quick thoughts:
- are those BB getting replaced under some kind of warranty?
- are you buying a good quality BB?
- is it press fit or threaded?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #197
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

The bike is older and out of warranty. I have done the work myself. If I remember correctly, the brand is Truvativ and the BB is threaded. I purchased the part from my lbs.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #198
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i would think there should be some type of parts warranty though. i would consider asking for a different brand of BB - i am partial to raceface myself.

I am assuming that you are using all the proper tools to install it, torquing it to spec, cleaning off the old grease and then applying some new stuff etc.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #199
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it from the early 2000's? I had a bike that went through a few just like that. I solved it by not buying the cheapest BB in stock. I can't remember which one though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #200
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

It’s a 2007 Kona. I have the proper tools and have taken care to clean and install the BB properly without cross threading/overtorquing. I’m a bigger guy at 250lbs but I haven’t broken other parts so I don’t think the BB would fail due to stress. I will check with the manufacturer regarding warranty on the part.