Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #161
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Looking east. The Aerospace Museum is on the left and the Port O'Call Inn is on the right, behind the ball diamonds.
Yes East...those damn cardinal points always mess me up.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #162
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Maybe Edmonton?
Too much work to edit out all the sweat pants in the background
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #163
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
They are going to be filming for about 3 months in the Fort MacLeod area as they have announced the request for extras
Fort MacLeod downtown is going to be familiar with anybody who has seen Interstellar!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #164
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.fortmacleodgazette.com/20...-fort-macleod/

Quote:
Crews from the television series Fargo will be in town early next year to film scenes.
Town of Fort Macleod economic development officer Virginia Wishart said the presence of the film crew will have an important economic impact.
Wishart reported at Thursday’s Chamber of Commerce meeting that filming of Fargo will take place in Alberta from Jan. 20 to May 20.
Wishart said filming in Fort Macleod will start the second week in February.
“They’re estimating they will be here four nights every two months,” Wishart said.
The film crew will have an economic impact on Fort Macleod.
Wishart said the film crew will spend about $21,000 a day in Fort Macleod, or a total of $250,000.
Wishart said the multiplier factor of 3.5 times will increase the economic benefit to Fort Macleod.
“It’s definitely worth talking to them about,” Wishart said of businesses allowing the film crews access.
Wishart said the film crew will be at town council from 7-7:15 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 16.
Eileen Moses of Village Greenery Flowers and Gifts told Wishart she would recommend the film crew have a meeting with business owners.
“I’ve been talking to some other businesses and we would like to talk to them too,” Moses said.
Wishart said the film crews plan to meet individually with business and property owners.
Moses said a group meeting would be beneficial, based on problems that arose when other crews have filmed in Fort Macleod.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:20 PM   #165
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

They are currently doing studio prep work in town and begin shooting in studio on Monday the 19th. From there they will be shooting in the Ft. MacLeod/West of Okotoks and in and around Calgary with shooting to wrap up May 20.

No major stars will be around for a few more weeks though.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #166
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
They are currently doing studio prep work in town and begin shooting in studio on Monday the 19th. From there they will be shooting in the Ft. MacLeod/West of Okotoks and in and around Calgary with shooting to wrap up May 20.

No major stars will be around for a few more weeks though.
Are you involved in this show at all? Replicating an historical era is a lot more work than simply doing a modern-era show. Season 1 was set in 2006 but I still noticed a lot of anachronisms like modern cars, computers, phones, and the frustration of showing the Bow, Chinatown, and other skyscrapers that don't belong in Minnesota.

I'm sure all the small town/rural shoots will be straightfoward but I wonder what kind of 1979 stuff they will do in Calgary. I guess there will be less landmarks and things to look out for when watching the show now as it will be hidden or masked.

What incentives does the show get to shoot here? I know that there being direct flights to L.A. is a plus. What are the economic benefits?

I also remember Keith Carradine mentioning in an interview about living in a downtown hotel for most of the shoot and getting intimate with the +15 system and wandering around when he had nothing to shoot.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #167
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Are you involved in this show at all? Replicating an historical era is a lot more work than simply doing a modern-era show. Season 1 was set in 2006 but I still noticed a lot of anachronisms like modern cars, computers, phones, and the frustration of showing the Bow, Chinatown, and other skyscrapers that don't belong in Minnesota.

I'm sure all the small town/rural shoots will be straightfoward but I wonder what kind of 1979 stuff they will do in Calgary. I guess there will be less landmarks and things to look out for when watching the show now as it will be hidden or masked.

What incentives does the show get to shoot here? I know that there being direct flights to L.A. is a plus. What are the economic benefits?

I also remember Keith Carradine mentioning in an interview about living in a downtown hotel for most of the shoot and getting intimate with the +15 system and wandering around when he had nothing to shoot.
My aunt worked on the first season and said the directors absolutely loved everything about Calgary and the surrounding locations. Zero need to dress up any of the winter scenes because it was already so brutally cold (except that blizzard scene they did), every type of location they wanted was here with easy access (city, small towns, empty prairie roads, rural shots, etc), and it's just simply cheaper (which should become an even bigger factor with oil prices tanking driving our dollar down)

It's mostly location though, it's the same reason Christopher Nolan loves shooting in Alberta now (my aunt also worked on Inception and Interstellar). He loves how varied our geography is and how Alberta can stand in for so many different regions in the US
Old 01-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #168
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fargo looking for classic cars for background shots

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-community-oth...ers/1042069648
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #169
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

There are reports that Ted Danson is in town.

I wonder if their production is affect by our warm weather and lack of snow right now.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:15 AM   #170
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

They filmed last Monday in High River. Most of the downtown are was closed off for the entire day. They had to truck in snow for some of the scenes.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:06 AM   #171
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finished watching S1 in 2 days. But where did that American Phoenix story line go? It ended kind of abruptly without a conclusion. Also, the Vegas plot is a little out of the blue and I'm not buying it. Other than that it's a great show.

Wonder what S2 will bring, another type of murder gone wrong kind of plot?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #172
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Every day, I wonder if S2 is in trouble because of the warm weather. There's no snow anywhere!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #173
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fargo will be in the McDougall Centre area, 4th Avenue and 7th Street SW tomorrow, Thursday February 26.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #174
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The cinematographer has posted pictures of the FINA building in downtown on his Fargo based instagram

https://instagram.com/p/zt0bfbGyoi/
Old 07-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #175
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Old 07-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #176
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Interesting, I predict there will be less snow in this season because it was a warmer winter and there simply wasn't much snow in Alberta for the 2nd half of their filming schedule.

Source: cast & crew lived in my building
Old 07-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #177
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Interesting, I predict there will be less snow in this season because it was a warmer winter and there simply wasn't much snow in Alberta for the 2nd half of their filming schedule.

Source: cast & crew lived in my building
When they were filming in High River they had to truckload snow in for some scenes.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #178
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season 2 started tonight. Really liked it and I think it's going to be very good.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:11 PM   #179
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excellent first episode. Look forward to the whole series!
Old 10-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #180
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Fantastic start. Keen eyed viewers will notice that the main street of their town is the same one used in Interstellar (Fort MacLeod). I wonder what that Waffle House is located in Alberta.

Haven't spotted any other landmarks so far but it'll be harder as they would only be using locations they can mask as 1979.