Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 392 62.92%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 163 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.94%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.98%
Voters: 623. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #681
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...anada)#Alberta

I'm not sure you can really find a trend here, keep in mind reporting is probably really spotty in earlier years. The more people around to see it, the more reports you are going to get. In 1982 you may have thought the world was going to end. We've had a few years recently with more reported, but you can't really call that a trend either, as 1980-1982 was worse. At a quick check I don't see how you could attribute that to climate change, just looking at Alberta numbers.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #682
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd also love to see HOW you attribute this year's tornadoes to climate change. Is it because it is cooler/wetter than average? It's pretty easy to say "climate change is causing this" it's a lot harder to justify it by relating it to climatic trends in the province.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #683
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Re: Tornadoes

Tornadoes are hard to scientifically relate to climate change for a variety of reasons. They are also only one element of extreme weather events in the larger climate change picture. No real disagreement there.

However, when you look at the stats of how many tornadoes there are (as posted on the previous page), you have to go one level deeper and look at where they're actually happening, and meta changes over time.

In the U.S. south particularly, there is an area called "Dixie Alley" which has seen a dramatic uptick in the number/frequency of tornadoes in recent decades. Whereas historically they have been prevalent on the Great Plains in the US (the traditional Tornado Alley), it has shifted southward and eastbound. Kansas, Oklahoma, etc. will still get their tornado patterns, but it's a downward trend towards frequency happening further east.

The Gulf of Mexico is warming - this is already scientifically proven, which when mixed with moist air, can create conditions for more tornadoes and extreme weather, especially early on in the season.

So while it's difficult to link tornado frequency as a whole to climate change, the shifting patterns of them may indicate changes in climate elsewhere, either enabling or reducing the severity of extreme weather events.

Haven't seen too much about Alberta (my comment earlier was tongue-in-cheek) but having events in Alberta that happen with varying frequency should not be simply written off as historical trends or "we had that event 30 years ago, #### happens". Hopefully environmental scientists can continue to produce research and evidence for climate change patterns and their impacts.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #684
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of improper attributions...this just came into my feed...

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-tyo071019.php

Quote:
A study published in the international journal Marine Biology, reveals what's really killing coral reefs. With 30 years of unique data from Looe Key Reef in the lower Florida Keys, researchers from Florida Atlantic University's Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute and collaborators have discovered that the problem of coral bleaching is not just due to a warming planet, but also a planet that is simultaneously being enriched with reactive nitrogen from multiple sources.
Improperly treated sewage, fertilizers and top soil are elevating nitrogen levels, which are causing phosphorus starvation in the corals, reducing their temperature threshold for "bleaching." These coral reefs were dying off long before they were impacted by rising water temperatures. This study represents the longest record of reactive nutrients and algae concentrations for coral reefs anywhere in the world.
"Our results provide compelling evidence that nitrogen loading from the Florida Keys and greater Everglades ecosystem caused by humans, rather than warming temperatures, is the primary driver of coral reef degradation at Looe Key Sanctuary Preservation Area during our long-term study," said Brian Lapointe, Ph.D., senior author and a research professor at FAU's Harbor Branch.

I've been suggesting for years that I'd be more likely to believe general pollution was the cause of bleaching vs warming waters. We are a messy species. This makes a tonne more sense. Will be interesting to see if places like Australia find similar causes. It's also a good reminder that assuming everything is due to climate change misses our other pollution, which is often much worse.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #685
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
New Era is Lanny?

What the.....
Yeah, Bingo has mentioned it a couple of times. I always figured he was back. In fact, after matching up the abrasive, I know everything and you're an idiot, wall of text posting styles, I'm surprised I didn't notice before hand.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #686
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Did any of these other life forms do global climate change in a 150 years? That's all it took for us.
Not even close, but I get tired of the argument that humans can’t cause it because we are just one life form. The fact we’ve done it so quickly, while still in an ice age, and a solar activity minimum is very concerning indeed.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #687
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, Bingo has mentioned it a couple of times. I always figured he was back. In fact, after matching up the abrasive, I know everything and you're an idiot, wall of text posting styles, I'm surprised I didn't notice before hand.
Can't believe I've missed that that last few years.

Oh well, the more the merrier.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #688
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Speaking of improper attributions...this just came into my feed...

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-tyo071019.php

I've been suggesting for years that I'd be more likely to believe general pollution was the cause of bleaching vs warming waters. We are a messy species. This makes a tonne more sense. Will be interesting to see if places like Australia find similar causes. It's also a good reminder that assuming everything is due to climate change misses our other pollution, which is often much worse.
Nice article. Not sure it is a game changer though as similar research has been presented in the past. The bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef has already been attributed to similar variables. This is not a new hypothesis. Dissolved inorganic nutrients (run off) and nutrient changes as a result were identified as a contributing factor back in 1999. Land use and impact of agriculture have also been identified as being contributing factors to bleaching and coral die off. All are factors in the increased acidification of our oceans and putting life at risk. The loss of this life greatly impacts the ability of the oceans to act as a carbon sink and slow the damage we are doing to the planet. You're 100% right, man is messy and we don't appreciate the damage we do that affects the balance of the planet we live on. The problem is so large and complex that it is hard to comprehend for most people as the number of moving parts is hard to track.

I wish I could find them, but when I lived in Florida there were sites that you could go to and see the effects of current and run-off from the coasts and the glades. It was really cool because they could predict the clarity of the water for diving and fishing. I suspect they would support this research as well. Never thought about the connection at the time, but it all kind of makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm not.

Here's the funny thing. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you you're an idiot. If I think you are wrong or poorly informed, I will engage you and debate you. That is an attempt to learn from each other and change perspectives. You consider it presenting a wall of text, I call it articulating a position that is usually complex and takes into consideration many variables. Single sentence replies to complex issues are trite and useless the vast majority of the time. I appreciate this is hard for a generation who communicates through the use of memes to understand, but this is how my generation was taught to discuss issues. Complex issues require in-depth analysis and equally complex solutions. I also tend to only pay attention and post in areas where I do have some experience or expertise. I read a lot of threads, and learn a lot along the way, but try and stay out of threads where they are beyond my element (hello Canadian politics thread!). More people should do the same. I hope that wasn't too abrasive.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #689
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

"I have to be toxic, it's generational"
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #690
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
"I have to be toxic, it's generational"
"Single sentence replies to complex issues are trite and useless." Thank you for proving my point and contributing to the dumbing down of our society.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #691
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
"Single sentence replies to complex issues are trite and useless." Thank you for proving my point and contributing to the dumbing down of our society.

Sometimes brevity gets the point across, you should try it sometime.

You being a toxic poster isn't a complex issue, it's pretty blatant. Why does that need a long winded post?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #692
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moving away from scattered flurry of snowflakes and back to current challenges...

June was the hottest ever recorded, and July is expected to be the same.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...=.83c21fdb4e6f

"According to data released Monday by NASA, the global average temperature was 1.7 degrees Fahrenheit (0.93 Celsius) above the June norm (based on a 1951-to-1980 baseline), easily breaking the previous June record of 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit (0.82 Celsius), set in 2016, above the average."

So a global 1.5 degree spike in 2016 and then a 1.7 degree spike this year. Not good.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #693
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Request: use real units when describing temps, not fake US units.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #694
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double post.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #695
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ugh... also why does every scientific article need to have fahrenheit and miles in brackets behind every metric value. Think of the savings of forcing people to get with metric. Stop pandering to these people who refuse to get on the metric train.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 04:11 PM   #696
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

https://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/2...rming-stripes/

Some interesting visualizations of annual temperature changes (I believe mean temperatures) across multiple locations around the Earth, including Toronto. Data for each appears to be retrieved from multiple publicly-available data sources from each country's government.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #697
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My bad. You’re used to what you’re used to. All the years of having to adapt back to imperial has obviously worked too well.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #698
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is how orbiters get accidentally smashed into planets.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:39 AM   #699
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure what kind of survival rate they'll experience but, regardless, very impressive;

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/29/afric...hnk/index.html
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 05:04 PM   #700
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They really are their worst enemies

https://torontosun.com/news/world/ca...climate-confab

Quote:
The planet’s rich and famous arrived in Sicily to talk about climate change and putting their ample intellect into saving the planet.

They arrived in private jets and mega yachts, creating a smorgasbord of pollution.
Among those attending Camp Hypocrite? Former U.S. president Barack Obama, Prince Harry, Leonardo DiCaprio, Katy Perry and scores more of the great and good.

Quote:
According to Italian media reports, guests were expected to arrive in an eye-popping 114 private jets.

The Post guesstimated that with 114 flights from Los Angeles to Palermo, the planes would have pumped an astonishing 100,000 kilos of C02 into the atmosphere.

Quote:
Von Furstenberg and Diller arrived on the media mogul’s $20- million yacht Eos, featuring two 2,300-horsepower diesel engines.

Perry and Bloom arrived on Dreamworks founder David Geffen’s $400-million yacht, the Rising Sun.

Quote:
Perry was also spotted racing around the island in a Maserati SUV. Mileage: 15 miles per gallon in the city.

Among the others invited to Camp Consumption are Stella McCartney, Bradley Cooper, Nick Jonas, Priyanka Chopra, Gayle King and Facebook fiend Mark Zuckerberg.
They’ll enjoy performances from Sting, Elton John and Coldplay’s Chris Martin.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote