Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2018, 08:30 PM   #181
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
The cards only cover CDW as far as I know, but read your credit card terms and conditions carefully.

Check to see if your card covers insurance outside of North America.

Also check if your card covers insurance for vans/campers. I would be surprised if it does.

At the end of the day, I think you will find that you should pay for the CDW, ash and gravel.

There isn’t a requirement to travel the ;F roads to get to a lot of sights or go camping is there? Seems like the cost of a 4x4 is pretty steep.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #182
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No, you do not need to travel the F roads.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #183
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Only drink ice cold, its interesting but not something many Icelanders drink. Oddly enough it tastes decent with coke lol
I did that...Chilled it in a freezer for 3 days...

It could probably work well as an industrial paint stripper.

haven't tried it with coke but the first impression was not good.

I think I'll be offering it to my guests for years to come...and by that I mean the same bottle.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #184
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I did that...Chilled it in a freezer for 3 days...

It could probably work well as an industrial paint stripper.

haven't tried it with coke but the first impression was not good.

I think I'll be offering it to my guests for years to come...and by that I mean the same bottle.
Warning noted.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #185
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well, booked my trip. Going to Iceland next month thanks to that great seat sale. Thor, is it worth it to be in Reykjavik during Culture Days? I was planning on being out of the city during it, but if the party cannot be missed then i'll change my idea around
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #186
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Oh absolutely stay in Reykjavík during that, its a HUGE party downtown, lots of people, events.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #187
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Was on the Iceland-YEG flight not too long ago, and got delayed. Iceland Air offered to a two day stay until the next YEG flight - on their dime. Wish I could have taken it! Iceland is amazing from the air and looks even more amazing to get out of the airport and explore.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #188
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Awesome...thank you. I can't wait for this!
Old 07-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #189
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seat Sale? Where?!

I'm dying to go back
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #190
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How's the music scene? Iceland has really punched above it's weight in terms of a country of 340,000 producing big global acts like Bjork, Sigur Ros and Of Monsters and Men.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #191
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from our camping trip along the ring road. The scenery is simply spectaculuar everywhere you go. My only complaint is the suicidal sheep and cyclists. I don't think on such narrow roads with 90kph speed limits, and with even narrower shoulders the country should be advocating cycling along those roads without a secondary paths.

Also, if done again, I probably would have opted for some car rental insurance. We got lucky; we didn't travel the F roads, but there are quite a few long stretches of gravel roads to various sites. I am pretty sure our credit card would have covered it, but it would have been a hassle.

It take some time to get used to the daylight, especially at the Reykjavik campsite people treat 2AM as if its midday. It was kind of hard to sleep.

Anyway, I have a few left over ISK (about 4000) if anybody wants to buy some.. and some sim cards that might be good for a few more weeks.

Last edited by Wormius; 07-17-2019 at 01:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #192
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, Brocoli, I will pay you 30% more than retail for any bottles of Floki you smuggle back

Don't taste test it though, it's awful, just use your liquor allowances on me
Old 07-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #193
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey Wormius, are you talking about the Gravel Insurance? I was looking and trying to decide if it was worth it? Also, who did you book your car rental through? And who did you get your SIM cards through? Did you pre buy or was it fairly simple to do there?

Thor, any hidden gems of places that I should see? I have no plans right now and i'm just trying to get some base plans laid out

Scornfire
Old 07-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #194
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

if you have time to do the entire Diamond Circle that would be my vote, I missed a few of them (like Ásbyrgi) which I'm dying to get back to see, every place I DID manage to get out to blew me away

Diamond Circle

There's so many hidden gems in Iceland <3
Old 07-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #195
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Hey Wormius, are you talking about the Gravel Insurance? I was looking and trying to decide if it was worth it? Also, who did you book your car rental through? And who did you get your SIM cards through? Did you pre buy or was it fairly simple to do there?

We rented with Reykjavik Auto, which is apparently Blue Car relabeled. It was the cheapest. I am pretty sure the credit card would have covered any damage but with the fine print and everything I kind of always felt a bit nervous about it the gravel roads and passing cars.

We just bought our SIMs at the Olis gas station, but I am sure there are other places. Pretty straight forward and cell service is pretty good everywhere. We went with the 5gb with free local calls and 50 sms. It cost 2500 ISK. I forget how long it lasts, but thought it was a month.

By the way, if you are looking for a nice hike outside, we camped at Pakgil (or Thakgil) and it is beautiful there.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #196
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just got back from 6 days in Norway and 4 in Iceland. I've got to say that I much preferred Norway. I found that Iceland was very crowded and seemed to have a lot more Instagram tourists who I would have to constantly be walking around as they took selfies or had people taking their pictures as they did strange poses or pretend to push things or hold things up.

I would definitely go back to photograph more of the amazing landscapes but would visit a more remote part of the country to try and get away from the crowds.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #197
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We got there on the 5th, and it wasn't too crowded, and then we traveled counter-clockwise around and seemed to miss a lot of the crowds. When we got back to Reykjavik it was really crazy at the campsite.

On a side-note, the swimming pool is Reykjavik is pretty neat, I liked how they had an employee in the shower area that would yell at people that weren't drying off completely before moving to the change room. They should do that here.

We also picked up a few items at the Hand Knitting Association, the sweaters were pretty nice so I grabbed one.

The hot dogs aren't bad either, the crispy onions are actually a nice touch.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:12 AM   #198
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
How's the music scene? Iceland has really punched above it's weight in terms of a country of 340,000 producing big global acts like Bjork, Sigur Ros and Of Monsters and Men.

Its ridiculous how such a tiny nation produces so much talent, but its explained by our public school system and its aggressive approach to getting student's into music classes.

Airwaves every year is an amazing line up of local and foreign artists playing all over, from pubs, museums, to bigger venues.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:15 AM   #199
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Just got back from 6 days in Norway and 4 in Iceland. I've got to say that I much preferred Norway. I found that Iceland was very crowded and seemed to have a lot more Instagram tourists who I would have to constantly be walking around as they took selfies or had people taking their pictures as they did strange poses or pretend to push things or hold things up.

I would definitely go back to photograph more of the amazing landscapes but would visit a more remote part of the country to try and get away from the crowds.

Yeah its nuts, although the good news is tourism numbers finally went down, almost 20% from last year. We went from 2010 having about 600,000 visitors to last year near 2.5 million.

The golden circle, southern Iceland are jam packed these days, it takes away from much of the charm for locals as well, but the best kept secret is the western part of Iceland, lots of amazing places to visit and far less tourists.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #200
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Also wanted to share this link for anyone looking for insider info or good tips on places to check out, be it food, drinks, music, hidden gems..

https://grapevine.is/travel/