Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #1321
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope, I watched about a billion videos before doing my first brisket last year, and it ended up turning out great. The flat was a touch dry given I smoked it unwrapped the entire time (Started it at like 9pm for dinner the following day, took it off around noon into a cooler), next time I might consider smoking the bare part of the flat separately and for less time (on a different day given the size of full briskets) to avoid it getting overcooked - and might consider texas crutching it for a portion of the cook.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #1322
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

God I hate love this thread
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:23 PM   #1323
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch a video on how to trim a brisket, very important. No one wants a mouth full of non rendered fat.

Use a combination of meat thermometers and the toothpick method. The meat thermometer should let you know when you're close to being done, and then poke the brisket with a toothpick. When it has the consistency of butter using the toothpick, it's ready to be pulled off.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #1324
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Nope, I watched about a billion videos before doing my first brisket last year, and it ended up turning out great. The flat was a touch dry given I smoked it unwrapped the entire time (Started it at like 9pm for dinner the following day, took it off around noon into a cooler), next time I might consider smoking the bare part of the flat separately and for less time (on a different day given the size of full briskets) to avoid it getting overcooked - and might consider texas crutching it for a portion of the cook.
ya, we cut off the flat because it was just too much meat otherwise for like 6 people. Which means no burnt ends, but the meat was so great, really tender.

We did Texas style, smoked open farthest from the heat (vertical for us, so at the top) until the internal temp hit 160 and then wrapped until the temp reached 195, let rest for one hour wrapped.

That took about 8 hours total for a 14 lbs brisket (minus the flat), temp of the smoker was 225 to 250.

I thought about the overnight thing but it didn't take that long, we started at 6am and it was ready by 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

Today I am doing the flat only, it kind of looks the size of a pork belly, maybe 5 lbs, looking to get the same results, but will likely be done a lot sooner today, here is hoping!

I'll update with some pics as well.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #1325
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So here is the start, like I mentioned before this is just the flat. The meat went on around noon total, surprisingly it is still taking a while to hit the 195 temp even though the smoker has been at an ideal temp range all day, most around the 240 degree mark. Anyway, as soon as it is done I’ll post more.

And from the last round....

Coming up in my next post....
Old 05-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #1326
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Old 05-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #1327
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Another from the last go around.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #1328
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I got the green light to get myself a pellet grill for fathers day. I am thinking the green mountain grill. I know they were discussed earlier in this thread but I can't find the full discussion. Anyone have any recommendations?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #1329
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I have a Green Mountain Grill - Daniel Boone size. ("Choice Grill" Model)

Pros: For me the Daniel Boone size is the perfect size for my deck. It's very easy to use, you get perfect blue smoke in 5 minutes with just the push of a button. Fairly easy to clean and maintain.

Things I would get with it: a thermal blanket, it blasts through pellets on even a mildly cold and breezy day in Vancouver so being in Calgary this would be a must, and of course just a normal cover for when you're not using it.

Cons: The paint on one side of my grill has started to chip and it started very early as I have only had the grill for a year. I don't care that much as it's a smoker not a jewelry box but it's still annoying. I would maybe spring for the "Prime" model as maybe they're a bit more robust than my cheaper "Choice". The auger that feeds the pellets can be a touch noisy sometimes and you can hear it really grinding and pressing the pellets into the fire box.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I do love my GMG and I think it's a great choice!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #1330
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also have a a green mountain grill but the Jim bowey. Only had it about a month but has been doing well. Not really burning through pellets any quicker than my friends with other models.

Runs a bit hotter than stated so have to be a bit careful.

I have the wifi model and think it’s awesome.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #1331
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I also have a a green mountain grill but the Jim bowey. Only had it about a month but has been doing well. Not really burning through pellets any quicker than my friends with other models.

Runs a bit hotter than stated so have to be a bit careful.

I have the wifi model and think it’s awesome.
How well does it hold the heat?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #1332
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do people who do traditional smoking look down their nose at those auto-pellet smoking setups?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #1333
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Do people who do traditional smoking look down their nose at those auto-pellet smoking setups?
I'll admit I kinda did in the past, I've been using an old school barrel smoker for 15+ years now. But I've come to realize that is a bad attitude, the more folks who have an entry to smoking and making good barbecue the better. I do sometimes wish I could do some of the cold smoking you can do with a pellet smoker like cheese or fish.

At the end of the day, if someone with their pellet smoker has the drive to make the best meat possible - it's all good.

But we all look down our noses at the big green egg guys, right?
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #1334
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
How well does it hold the heat?
I have a GMG Daniel Boone.

I found it works fine in the summer but a cheap welding blanket from princess auto draped over the cooker really holds in the heat.

I wouldn't buy the branded thermal cover way over priced for what it is.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #1335
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I'll admit I kinda did in the past, I've been using an old school barrel smoker for 15+ years now. But I've come to realize that is a bad attitude, the more folks who have an entry to smoking and making good barbecue the better. I do sometimes wish I could do some of the cold smoking you can do with a pellet smoker like cheese or fish.

At the end of the day, if someone with their pellet smoker has the drive to make the best meat possible - it's all good.

But we all look down our noses at the big green egg guys, right?
Why?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #1336
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I have a GMG Daniel Boone.

I found it works fine in the summer but a cheap welding blanket from princess auto draped over the cooker really holds in the heat.

I wouldn't buy the branded thermal cover way over priced for what it is.
I took your advice on this last year and bought a welding blanket. It works great on the grill and the smoker. I can get my grill to over 600 F in the middle of January.

I have always smoked and grilled year round but the blanket definitely makes this easier and more efficient.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #1337
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Heads up BBQ compadres, whole briskets are on sale for $2.99/lbs at Sobeys/Safeway limit is 2. I went to 5 different locations today and bought 6 of them today. Average weight was about 5-7kg and $35-$55ea which is ridiculously cheap. They also have pork shoulders fairly cheap as well got 4 good sized shoulders for $60 as well.

Go early they are selling out of brisket pretty quickly.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 08:01 PM   #1338
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Heads up BBQ compadres, whole briskets are on sale for $2.99/lbs at Sobeys/Safeway limit is 2. I went to 5 different locations today and bought 6 of them today. Average weight was about 5-7kg and $35-$55ea which is ridiculously cheap. They also have pork shoulders fairly cheap as well got 4 good sized shoulders for $60 as well.

Go early they are selling out of brisket pretty quickly.
Just ignore the Cov at the end of the tag...
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:05 PM   #1339
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is more of a GG but I hate the bun warmer rack inside the Broil King. It’s always in the way, and it’s not easily removed. I *hate* it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #1340
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up a Traeger Ranger to play around with a smoker for the first time. Did a few test runs to the point I'm comfortable with it - working on 9lbs of moose pastrami sous-vide-que style this week.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber