Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It wouldn't, so...

The whole "We're not talking to you once training camp starts" thing strikes me as something GMs should push back on. You're a ####ing agent, you can negotiate while your player plays hockey.
But its not all uncommon.

Players in all sports choose not to deal with negotiations during seasons or tournaments, look at the World Cup, players are being bought and sold left right and center, but they werent dealing with it during the tournament.

Sports require focus.

Sure, the team can deal with an agent but at the end of the day the agent cant say 'yes or no.' That has to be the player. And its not likely going to be once or twice, contracts change minutely constantly and require confirmation or negation.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #22
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The guy is a mercenary who's only interested in big money and bright lights. He wouldn't come to Calgary and I wouldn't want him.
I don't think that's fair.

He left a whole lot of term and money on the table in order to resign with Chicago, and then they traded him.....
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #23
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
The guy is a mercenary who's only interested in big money and bright lights. He wouldn't come to Calgary and I wouldn't want him.
Ask Demar Derozan about the value of loyalty.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Apparently wants California or Florida.
Always find it lame when players look like they want to become beach bums rather than make the focus on hockey.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #25
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sure, the team can deal with an agent but at the end of the day the agent cant say 'yes or no.' That has to be the player.
How hard is this? Work to a point where you have an offer put together with the agent. The agent takes it to the player, says, "here's where we landed, it's as good as I can get them to do. Yes or no?" Player says yes or no. Returns to playing hockey.

This may be common but I wouldn't put up with it if I were a GM. It's a deliberate tactic to apply pressure to the team by shortening the bargaining window.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How hard is this? Work to a point where you have an offer put together with the agent. The agent takes it to the player, says, "here's where we landed, it's as good as I can get them to do. Yes or no?" Player says yes or no. Returns to playing hockey.

This may be common but I wouldn't put up with it if I were a GM. It's a deliberate tactic to apply pressure to the team by shortening the bargaining window.
I’m not sure what you do to “not put
up with it”.

Last edited by GioforPM; 07-19-2018 at 02:45 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think you might be over-simplifying things here.

I cant speak to being a professional athlete, but I do know that there are things that are usually out of my control or someone else's responsibility that still cause me stress and anxiety and detract from my ability do my job as effectively as I normally would.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #28
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that a fair characterization? I haven't followed along too closely, but the guy was traded to the team, more than met expectations and then told the team that he doesn't necessarily see a long-term future in Columbus so he didn't blindside them if he went and became a UFA.

It certainly sounds like money isn't the issue. Both sides seemed to be consistent with that. And it doesn't sound like Panarin is a flashy bright light person at all. What may be the issue is that Panarin doesn't speak English, or didn't when he first arrived in North America, and the one other Russian on the team is a UFA at the end of this year as well.

He's a long ways from home, on a team he's known for a year in a place he's spent relatively little time in and may have significant cultural shock and little communication. But he's being asked to commit to the next decade there when he could just decide where to go? As an undrafted, traded and up-coming UFA, there's not much reason to expect loyalty. And now he has the option of looking elsewhere for a team that may be better fit, without completely screwing over his team in the process. I say good for him if he finds it.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Is that a fair characterization? I haven't followed along too closely, but the guy was traded to the team, more than met expectations and then told the team that he doesn't necessarily see a long-term future in Columbus so he didn't blindside them if he went and became a UFA.

It certainly sounds like money isn't the issue. Both sides seemed to be consistent with that. And it doesn't sound like Panarin is a flashy bright light person at all. What may be the issue is that Panarin doesn't speak English, or didn't when he first arrived in North America, and the one other Russian on the team is a UFA at the end of this year as well.

He's a long ways from home, on a team he's known for a year in a place he's spent relatively little time in and may have significant cultural shock and little communication. But he's being asked to commit to the next decade there when he could just decide where to go? As an undrafted, traded and up-coming UFA, there's not much reason to expect loyalty. And now he has the option of looking elsewhere for a team that may be better fit, without completely screwing over his team in the process. I say good for him if he finds it.
Yeah, I think people tend to forget that hes 26 already and only has 3 NHL seasons under his belt.

Hes got to either fish or cut bait. He has a limited amount of time available to him to maximize on his career.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's his right and you can't fault a player that's all business because that's how teams operate. That said it's got to be difficult for Jackets fans and management that your best player doesn't want to be there. At least the Flames are going to have Gaudreau for most if not all of his prime years before he possibly chases playing home.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #31
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, it would suck more if Panarin let them believe he was still considering them only to leave to go elsewhere *cough* Tavares *cough.*

I think it's just very weird to bring up 'mercenary' in this context. The guy has signed with only one team in his career. The Blackhawks. His second contract that he signed with Chicago didn't even kick in before they traded him. And yet, he's the one who's getting dragged for being disloyal?

Jagr was a mercenary. Iginla was a mercenary at the end of his career.

Panarin looking to sign long term with a team that he thinks is the best fit for him, is pretty much the exact opposite of being a mercenary.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #32
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Well, it would suck more if Panarin let them believe he was still considering them only to leave to go elsewhere *cough* Tavares *cough.*

I think it's just very weird to bring up 'mercenary' in this context. The guy has signed with only one team in his career. The Blackhawks. His second contract that he signed with Chicago didn't even kick in before they traded him. And yet, he's the one who's getting dragged for being disloyal?

Jagr was a mercenary. Iginla was a mercenary at the end of his career.

Panarin looking to sign long term with a team that he thinks is the best fit for him, is pretty much the exact opposite of being a mercenary.
Whenever I think 'Mercenary' I think Hossa.

But I dont hold it against him.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #33
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It wouldn't, so...

The whole "We're not talking to you once training camp starts" thing strikes me as something GMs should push back on. You're a ####ing agent, you can negotiate while your player plays hockey.
It's a negotiation tactic to improve the chance he is traded before the season starts. It's no different then Treliving waiving Kulak before his arbitration date. It doesn't speak to character or anything else.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #34
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Columbus traded for Panarin, treated him well, made him the star of the team, and are wiling to pay him big bucks, but he's going to walk on them. I just don't have much time for athletes like that, no matter how skilled they are.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #35
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Columbus traded for Panarin, treated him well, made him the star of the team, and are wiling to pay him big bucks, but he's going to walk on them. I just don't have much time for athletes like that, no matter how skilled they are.
Columbus knew he only had a two year bridge deal taking him to UFA status. I don't think they made him the star - he just was the star. Did Calgary make Gaudreau the star of the team or did he make himself the star?

Anyway, do you even know what they are offering? The guy is 26 years old - this has to be his big contract.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #36
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Columbus knew he only had a two year bridge deal taking him to UFA status. I don't think they made him the star - he just was the star. Did Calgary make Gaudreau the star of the team or did he make himself the star?

Anyway, do you even know what they are offering? The guy is 26 years old - this has to be his big contract.
Prediction: $9mil x 6yrs.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #37
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey CliffFletcher, you need to move to Columbus and work the same job there. Have about a month to uproot everything. In a year, when you could do the same job in other cities for more money, you need to commit to stay in Columbus for the next decade instead - but your company may still get rid of you if they decide to. Otherwise you're disloyal. And you don't get to complain because as a 1%er in the world, any millions of third-world citizens would switch places with you in a second! It's an absurd stance to take.

When Panarin got traded to Columbus and the reporters asked him how it felt, thinking he would should some anger or insult the Blackhawks in some way all he did was say "It's Business." Why should he have any loyalty to an NHL team when NHL teams don't have loyalty to him? It's business.

Like I get it if you were talking about Tavares or someone akin to that. Not agree, but get it. But again, an undrafted, traded player who has been in that team for a year? Laughable to argue he has some type of required loyalty. Especially when, if it was up to him, he probably would have just wanted to stay in Chicago so it's not like Columbus did him a favour.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #38
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Always find it lame when players look like they want to become beach bums rather than make the focus on hockey.

I don’t know if that’s totally fair. I reckon more often that not it’s about their wives/girlfriends than about the players themselves. California offers a much more appealing lifestyle for a young lady with money than Calgary or Columbus.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #39
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would argue Chicago, LA, Anaheim, and TB are not viable destinations due to cap issues or a lack of fit. That leaves the Panthers, Sharks, Rangers, and Islanders as destinations. I could see the Isles pressing hard to replace Tavares's offence but I imagine the BJ's want something that can help them now. Please God not the Sharks.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #40
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Janko
Bennett
Kylington
19 1st
20 2nd

I posted this a few months back and many thought it was an underpayment but the longer the Jackets wait here the harder its going to be to consider losing him for nothing. They could always wait until the deadline but that is taking risk and now you have a distraction in the locker room all the way to trade deadline day which could be an issue.

What would you guys consider fair value from a Flames perspective? I don't even want him now at this point as we need to get through the next few years and wait out contracts like Frolik, Brouwer, Stone ect. And looking at our line-up now there just isn't enough room to add a guy like Panarin long term and we actually have more of a need right now to get rid of some bottom 6 forwards in Brouwer and maybe even Frolik/Lazar

But what would the cost be from the Flames perspective to land a big fish like Panarin in the situation that he is in currently?

I hate the thought of a team like SJ landing this guy... please just stay out of the Pacific.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote