Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:
Default Day 6 (PM of Wednesday Feb 14 - AM of Thursday Feb 15)

Canada begins defence of the Gold Medal in Women’s Curling at 17:05 with a matchup against the host South Korean team, this will be on CBC. Other matches at this time include Denmark vs. Japan, China vs. Russia, and Great Britain vs. USA.

At 18:00 Alpine Skiing events should begin with the first run in the Women’s Giant Slalom… Hopefully the weather cooperates today. Valerie Grenier and Candace Crawford are both skiing in their first Olympics and should be the 36th and 37th skiers to go. The second run is scheduled for 21:45. This will be on TSN 1 and 3.

The first two of four runs in Men’s Skeleton will begin at 18:00, and it doesn’t seem like this will be televised. Dave Greszczyszyn, who only tried the sport for the first time at the age of 27, will be the 15th slider. Kevin Boyer of Edmonton will be the 19th competitor, and Calgarian Barrett Martineau will be the 22nd slider.

Medals will be handed out in Figure Skating as the Pair’s Free Skate begins at 18:30. All 3 Canadian pairs have qualified to skate today. Kirsten Moore-Towers and Michael Marinaro are the first skaters on the ice, Julianne Seguin and Charlie Bilodeau will skate 5th, and podium hopefuls Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford will be the 14th pair to skate. This should be on TSN 4&5.

The seeding runs for the Men’s Snowboard Cross Event will begin at 19:00. Kevin Hill and Calgarian Chris Robanske are competing in their second Olympics. Baptiste Brochu and 16-year-old Eliot Grondin are making Olympic debuts.

19:30 is the scheduled start of the Men’s Downhill. Manuel Osborne-Paradis will be the 2nd skier, Ben Thomsen will go 22nd, Broderick Thompson will go 26th, and Dustin Cook will ski 35th.

On CBC at 20:10 Canada’s Women’s Hockey Team takes on their American rivals, this game will decide Group A. It feels special every time these two teams play each other, so expect an entertaining game. Also at this time in Men’s Hockey Finland takes on Germany.

At 21:30 the Heats for the Men’s Snowboard Cross begin and should be on Sportsnet 1. The Quarter-Finals are scheduled for 22:04, and Semi-Finals for 22:25, and the Final for 22:41.

On TSN 1, 3 & 4 at 22:05 the Canadian Men’s Curling Team continues their tournament in a match against Norway. The USA vs. Italy, Great Britain vs. Japan, and Denmark vs. Switzerland will also take place at this time.

The Women’s 10km Free Cross Country competition begins at 23:30. Cendrine Brown, Emily Nishikawa, Dahria Beatty, and Anne-Marie Comeau are slated to ski for Canada. This is scheduled to be on Sportsnet.

At 00:40 Norway takes on Sweden in Men’s Hockey on TSN 1 &3, Russia takes on Finland in Women’s Hockey on TSN 2.

The Women’s 15km Individual Biathlon competition is scheduled for 01:15. Sarah Beaudry, Julia Ransom, and Emma Lunder are competing in their first Olympics. Rosanna Crawford (younger sister of 2006 Gold Medalist Chandra Crawford) of Canmore is in her 3rd Olympics.

The Qualification run for Women’s Aerials begins at 04:00, not sure if this is going to be televised for us at all. Catrine Lavallee of Montreal is in her first Olympics.

Also at 04:00 is the beginning of the Men’s 10,000m Final in Speed Skating. In the 2nd pair Jordan Belchos will skate for Canada. Belchos won Canada’s first ever Pan Am Games medal in Roller Speed Skating with his Bronze Medal performance in Toronto in 2015. The 5th pairing will feature recent Silver Medalist Ted-Jan Bloeman.

At 04:05 Rachel Homan’s rink begins their second match of the day against Sweden and it should be on TSN.

The Men’s 20km Individual Biathlon competition is scheduled for 04:20 and is slated to be on Sportsnet 1.

Canada begins defending the Gold Medal in Men’s Hockey at 05:10 in a matchup against Switzerland. This one should be on CBC. At this time the Czech Republic will also be facing the South Korean team.

At 05:30 the Luge Team Relay is scheduled to begin and should be on Sportsnet or Sportsnet 1. Canada will be the 11th Team to slide.

Should be a great night of sports to watch, let's go Canada!!!!!
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's crazy how much I look forward to your posts CofR. Thanks again!!!
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kobasew19 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobasew19 View Post
It's crazy how much I look forward to your posts CofR. Thanks again!!!
No need to thank me, I enjoy doing them!
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Banner day!

So much going on...Canada/USA plus the pairs long program will probably pique my interest the most, followed by Ted-Jan with a chance at another podium and the Canadian men hit the ice in hockey.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As far as Canadian medal hopes tonight I see:

Speed Skating - Bloemen has a very strong shot at the podium, could be gold but Sven Kramer looked very strong in the 5000m and will be tough to beat.

Pairs Figure Skating - Duhamel/Radford are in 3rd after the short program but are a ways back of the top two and have a lot of pairs close to them so it'll take a good skate to medal.

Luge - the team relay has a pretty good shot at a medal, though it's probably Germany and Austria fighting for gold/silver.

Snowboard Cross - who knows? The Canadians are far from favourites, but the sport has strong upset possibilities.
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Banner day!

So much going on...Canada/USA plus the pairs long program will probably pique my interest the most, followed by Ted-Jan with a chance at another podium and the Canadian men hit the ice in hockey.
I'm so insanely excited for the Canada-US game it's hard to focus on anything else. Been looking forward to this game for 4 years basically.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

For anybody who has forgotten what happened the last time Canada and the US played each other in the Olympics here are the highlights from the Gold Medal Game in 2014... This may genuinely be the most exciting and stressful sporting event I can remember watching.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
For anybody who has forgotten what happened the last time Canada and the US played each other in the Olympics here are the highlights from the Gold Medal Game in 2014... This may genuinely be the most exciting and stressful sporting event I can remember watching.

I had forgotten about the post when the goalie was pulled. I instantly went back to a pit in my stomach recalling how I felt as that shot went down the ice.

But Wickenheiser and that breakaway in OT. Such a competitor. On a broken foot no less. So awesome.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Poulin. So clutch. And now she's even better than she was in Sochi, which seems hard to believe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barrett Martineau is one of my best friends. He has been on cloud 9 since being named to the Canadian skeleton team. Awesome to see such a great guy fulfill his dreams of competing in the olympics. Go Barrett Go!
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #11
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Barrett Martineau is one of my best friends. He has been on cloud 9 since being named to the Canadian skeleton team. Awesome to see such a great guy fulfill his dreams of competing in the olympics. Go Barrett Go!
I hope he knows all of CalgaryPuck is cheering for him! Every Canadian Olympian should be celebrated, but I have to admit to cheering a little harder for our local athletes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #12
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
No need to thank me, I enjoy doing them!
Yeah well...

thanks anyways!!
Old 02-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #13
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i read an update on the Japanese snowboarder who crashed yesterday.

No major injuries or broken bones, just a hip-bone bruise.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #14
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm so insanely excited for the Canada-US game it's hard to focus on anything else. Been looking forward to this game for 4 years basically.
Is there much benefit to winning this game? Is there a team you’d prefer to avoid in the playoffs?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #15
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Is there much benefit to winning this game? Is there a team you’d prefer to avoid in the playoffs?
Finland.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #16
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hope he knows all of CalgaryPuck is cheering for him! Every Canadian Olympian should be celebrated, but I have to admit to cheering a little harder for our local athletes.
and Tessa
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #17
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't remember how many time I've rewatch that game, everytime I rewatched it, I have goosebumps just like the first time I watched it live. The girls are so amazing and I'm so proud of them.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #18
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Like GS said It would be good to avoid Finland moving on to the knockout games.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #19
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Who is ready for 16 pairs long programs?

Old 02-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #20
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Yikes. That fifth end was a disaster for Canada.