Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #81
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing I could see, and even remotely justify (though I wouldn't like it personally), is Smith for Brouwer where the Flames retain $1.25M (the salary difference).

The Flames do this to replace Brouwer for Smith (a little more speed and someone they probably think fits into the lineup better).

Ottawa does this because they save a year.

Then you have 4th line options like:

Mangiapane - Smith - Lazar

much more speed and grit than where the 4th line started the season.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #82
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does Brouwer have a NTC?
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #83
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarious View Post
Do not want Smith. The only player the Sens have that fits on the Flames roster is Stone but we don't have the assets nor would they want to give up their top scorer.
Maybe the cheap sens don't want to pay Stone though, he's on pace for 35 goals and 82 points, thanks to Edmonton he's worth $72+ million now
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #84
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I wouldn’t put much stock into just this season as he’s had to battle an injury and the Sens have terrible since the Turris/Duchene trade fiasco. I mean even perennial Norris trophy winner Erik Karlsson has had a rough season. If we’re looking at his overall body of work I think Zack Smith would be a definite upgrade over Troy Brouwer. In regards to his reliability on the PK, he’s been killing penalties for them for nearly his entire career, that’s pretty reliable in my books.
He was their worst PKer last year too by GA/60. Worse than Brouwer
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #85
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's no way this is true. How does it make sense even in the slightest of ways?
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #86
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Zach Smith is a bottom 6 linear move at best unless it’s for Brouwer(NTC and going nowhere) or Stajan (unlikely Sens are interested).

Edit: bottom 6... let me correct myself. Bottom 3. The Bennett-Janko- Hathaway line will not be dismantled for Smith, would it?..
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #87
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This makes absolutely zero sense. Even if he was a right-handed shot, it would make zero sense. Can’t see why the Flames would want him at all.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #88
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'd actually be a fan of acquiring Zack Smith assuming Ottawa retains a significant amount of salary. He has breakaway speed and is a threat to score on the PK.
The Sens are owned by Eugene Melnyk, one of the cheapest owners in the entire history of professional sports. There’s zero chance his team would retain any salary; you’d have a better chance at catching a STI from watching Kate Upton YouTube videos than the Sens retaining any salary.
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #89
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Zach Smith is a bottom 6 linear move at best unless it’s for Brouwer(NTC and going nowhere) or Stajan (unlikely Sens are interested).

Edit: bottom 6... let me correct myself. Bottom 3. The Bennett-Janko- Hathaway line will not be dismantled for Smith, would it?..
Stajan also makes zero sense. He is UFA so we would be replacing his cap hit with Smith who has another 2 years on his deal.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #90
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
He was their worst PKer last year too by GA/60. Worse than Brouwer
Touche. But Brouwer isn’t going to score you a lot of goals on the PK unlike Smith. Guy is a serious threat when killing penalties.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #91
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Touche. But Brouwer isn’t going to score you a lot of goals on the PK unlike Smith. Guy is a serious threat when killing penalties.
The primary responsibility of PKers on the PK is to prevent goals, and Zack Smith is not good at that.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #92
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobasew19 View Post
The Sens are owned by Eugene Melnyk, one of the cheapest owners in the entire history of professional sports. There’s zero chance his team would retain any salary; you’d have a better chance at catching a STI from watching Kate Upton YouTube videos than the Sens retaining any salary.
Pretty low odds I know. But I think as everyone has kind of been talking about, a Brouwer-Smith swap with salary retention on our side might be a more likely scenario.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #93
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the Flames could use a #4C who can play tough, win draws, and play on the PK, but he's too expensive. The Flames are better off buying Brouwer out and letting a youngster play #4C or signing a veteran for cheap.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #94
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps, but what asset cost is worth perhaps 3 additional goals per year while potentially surrendering more?

It's still a hard pass for me when Hathaway already brings that
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #95
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty low odds I know. But I think as everyone has kind of been talking about, a Brouwer-Smith swap with salary retention on our side might be a more likely scenario.
Both guys are bad, but Brouwer's contract is a year shorter than Smith's so why exactly should the Flames be looking to add one additional year of dragging around an overpaid anchor?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #96
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The primary responsibility of PKers on the PK is to prevent goals, and Zack Smith is not good at that.
Well he must be doing something right to be continually trotted out there. It’s pretty easy to blame one guy for a team’s performance on the PK, but it’s there’s 4 skaters and a goaltender who claim just as much responsibility. I mean would we blame one guy for our drop from a 12th ranked PK last season to 25th this season? I’ll give him some credit where credit is due, his individual scoring stats on the PK is impressive.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #97
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Both guys are bad, but Brouwer's contract is a year shorter than Smith's so why exactly should the Flames be looking to add one additional year of dragging around an overpaid anchor?
Why is Zack Smith even considered an overpaid anchor? He was really helpful to his team the last 2 seasons and I’m sure we could use his type of offensive touch on the bottom 6. He’s been injured for a large part of this season, has played just 26 games and this Sens team has been an absolute mess this season. If we’re going to be this harsh on Smith, then is Erik Karlsson or Matt Duchene overpaid anchors as well? Almost everyone on that team is having a tough season this year, it doesn’t mean they’re all a bunch of Troy Brouwers.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #98
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always been a fan of Smith's, but I really don't see a fit here. Is it so wrong to let some of our players from the farm come play? Hathaway and Mangiapane have both made an impact on the team. Why not let that trend continue? We finally have a viable 4th line, and it's not because we brought in Curtis Lazar.

All our best pieces aside from Hamilton are home grown. Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland, Giordano, Brodie, Bennett, Tkachuk, Backlund, Jankowski, Hathaway. Theres plenty of great success stories on our roster alone. I don't think our farm system has ever been an issue, our issue is giving spots to guys like Brouwer, Stajan, and hate to say it, Jagr instead of giving our young guys a chance.

Enough with trying to find the perfect fit from elsewhere. Frolik worked out but more often than not it doesn't. Let's develop our own team.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #99
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
The argument would be that, on the plus side, you get a better player that is a little younger and a little faster. The tradeoff is that you are now committed to the extra year.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #100
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pass

Last player we got from Ottawa with a big heart was Lazar. Didn't work out well. No thanks.