Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 11:20 PM   #401
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

woot! Gaby and mixed doubles partner Mate Pavić just won the mixed doubles title (2-6 6-4 11-9)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 11:33 PM   #402
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

What a great speech! Congrats Gaby
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 03:30 AM   #403
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mighty Thor is in the house, but so far he's not the one swinging Mjolnir tonight...
Old 01-28-2018, 03:45 AM   #404
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fed looking good. Up a break in the 4th.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:58 AM   #405
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Roger is falling apart. Gets broken at love. Now 2 break points on his next service game
Old 01-28-2018, 04:01 AM   #406
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roger only hitting 36% of his first serves in the 4th set.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:03 AM   #407
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quite the turn of events. Not sure how this is going five, but you'd certainly favor Cilic now after Roger went from complete control to still having to play another set.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:07 AM   #408
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roger needs the break to reset both mentally and physically. He lost the last 4 games of that set. And did not look good.

Cilic would be the better bet right now.

Come on Roger!
Old 01-28-2018, 04:39 AM   #409
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It basically all came down to that first game, 15-40 save from Roger. Had Cilic broken there he probably would have coasted. But Roger turned it up when he needed to then, as he had done most of the tournament.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:41 AM   #410
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cilic looked so good to finish the 4th, but didn't look the same in the 5th. Agreed with SCD that Cilic didn't rally after the first game.

Congrats to Roger. #20!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #411
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Federer really is something. It sure looked like Cilic had him on the ropes in that first game of the fifth set, but then you blink and it’s a 6-1 set the other way. During Federer’s peak years (2004-07), he did that to good players all the time. They’d miss an opportunity for a break and then just get streamrolled.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #412
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So a few more thoughts now that I've gotten a little sleep...

- All praise to the Ljubicic. I don't know what he's said, or what he's tweaked, but whatever he did he's given Roger the confidence and belief of prime Federer again.
- This time last year I was talking about not caring about Roger winning anymore, just wanting to enjoy watching him play. Now I'm trying to resist the urge to get too greedy about how many more he can win. But with the state of the men's game in a bit of flux, he should probably be the favorite for two more majors this year, until we see Novak's return or someone else step it up.
- Roger's domination on serve is mostly about his domination with the second serve. Lots of guys dominate their first serve and win 80+% of the points. But Roger consistently is close to winning 60% of his second serve points. I'm also amazed that his second serve speed is often higher than even bigger servers. Cilic today for instance was around 93MPH avg second. Roger was right at 100MPH. Such an advantage to not take as much off
- I do think Roger will play Roland Garros this year. I see him playing Madrid as a tuneup, while skipping Miami. If number one is what he wants, then playing Dubai is the easiest way there. Expecting to defend all those points in Murica is asking a lot.
- I'm also starting to wonder if maybe Roger doesn't try and stay fit enough to give it a go at the 2020 Olympics. Singles gold is the only thing missing from his resume.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #413
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just finished watching. Wow, amazing!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #414
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congratulations to Roger the guy continues to amaze. It's only a matter of time before he is world #1 again. Men's game is in shambles right now I wouldn't be shocked if Fedal win all 4 majors again this year. Cilic showed today the rest of the field just can't compete especially mentally that first set he didn't even show up. Hope to see Roger play the entire clay court swing this year.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #415
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forgot to ask why was the roof closed today? Players had to play in horrible conditions all tournament and I don't think rain was a factor, just don't know why today they decided to close it.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #416
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Forgot to ask why was the roof closed today? Players had to play in horrible conditions all tournament and I don't think rain was a factor, just don't know why today they decided to close it.
The retractable roofs of the main showcourts at Melbourne Park are usually kept open unless the tournament’s extreme heat policy is invoked when the temperature exceeds 40 degrees Celsius (104 F) and a key humidity threshold has been surpassed.

Tournament organisers cited the ‘wet bulb globe temperature’, its humidity measure, as being above the threshold of 32.5 as their reason for the roof closure.

The temperature outside, however, was 37 degrees Celsius (98.6 F) when Cilic and Federer walked out on court.

The roof closure triggered a barrage of criticism from current and former players, with former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash saying it played right into 36-year-old Federer’s hands.

“It’s an outdoor tournament -- it’s like Wimbledon. Why is the roof closed?” the Australian said during commentary for BBC radio.

https://ca.reuters.com/article/canad...BN1FH08H-OCASP
Old 01-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #417
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything is Pospisil...

https://twitter.com/user/status/957656308077027329
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #418
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Dash pinched! I did some research and Cilic said it effected him in the first set as he thought it was going to be open roof. And it's reasonable to assume that given how the tournament played out. I feel bad for ripping him now thought he battled hard and at least put up a fight. Make no mistake Fed wins regardless .
Old 01-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #419
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just read a crazy stat on Twitter: The open era of tennis started in 1968, since that time Roger Federer has won 10% of all Grand Slam tournaments.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #420
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually not sure Cilic is capable of playing any better tennis than he did in that match. Very few players can maintain their highest level of play for five sets, or even four, especially given the pressure of a final. He was bad in the first set, but from then on, that was what he's got, I think. Just wasn't quite enough.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Closed Thread