Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #41
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Wow was that team ever stacked. Definitely a top 5 team of all time.

With that collection of players it is amazing the Flames only had the one cup from the late 80s/early 90s. Looking back the 86, 88, 90, 91, and 93 teams were all good enough to win if not for a bit of bad luck and choking under pressure.
It's a shame the Oilers were a dominant team also. We could have won more than one Cup.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #42
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Wow was that team ever stacked. Definitely a top 5 team of all time.

With that collection of players it is amazing the Flames only had the one cup from the late 80s/early 90s. Looking back the 86, 88, 90, 91, and 93 teams were all good enough to win if not for a bit of bad luck and choking under pressure.
I honestly believe the '86 Flames would have won the Cup if Steve Smith hadn't used his stick to perform an amateur splenectomy on Carey Wilson, and Mark Messier hadn't wrecked Gary Suter's knee. The team suffered a lot of injuries in that year's playoffs, but Wilson and Suter could have made a big difference in the last two rounds.

I remember the lineup in the Cup finals featured genu-wyne Hall of Famers like Yves Courteau and Robin Bartel. (Also some fat, out-of-shape kid called Hull, who clearly wasn't ready for the show yet.) They were all heart, but too many talented players were putting ice on their bodies and not vice versa.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:38 PM   #43
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
the 87-88 squad had 7- subtract fleury, add Bullard, Hull
Hull had 50 goals on the farm team, not with the Calgary Flames.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #44
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
It's a shame the Oilers were a dominant team also. We could have won more than one Cup.
Yeah but the Flames dropped winnable series against the kings, sharks, Canucks and jets
I view the Oilers thing largely as an excuse as they often chocked against other teams not the Oil
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #45
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Hull had 50 goals on the farm team, not with the Calgary Flames.
I believe the exercise was players who ever scored 50 in their (nhl)career - which hull did- not specifically with the flames
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #46
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I honestly believe the '86 Flames would have won the Cup if Steve Smith hadn't used his stick to perform an amateur splenectomy on Carey Wilson, and Mark Messier hadn't wrecked Gary Suter's knee. The team suffered a lot of injuries in that year's playoffs, but Wilson and Suter could have made a big difference in the last two rounds.

I remember the lineup in the Cup finals featured genu-wyne Hall of Famers like Yves Courteau and Robin Bartel. (Also some fat, out-of-shape kid called Hull, who clearly wasn't ready for the show yet.) They were all heart, but too many talented players were putting ice on their bodies and not vice versa.
yeah by the last few games of the finals injured bodies were piling up. Patterson missed a few, Mullen missed one, Loob I think was day to day but played through it...Mike Eaves came out of retirement by the middle of the playoffs IIRC, I remember a teenaged Gary Roberts interviewed before one of the games, if Loob couldn't play he was next to come in.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #47
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Yeah but the Flames dropped winnable series against the kings, sharks, Canucks and jets
I view the Oilers thing largely as an excuse as they often chocked against other teams not the Oil
Losing 4 times to the Oilers in 1983, 1984, 1988, and 1991 playoffs is hardly an excuse. Especialy when the Oilers won the Cup in those years.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:04 AM   #48
It's a great day 4 hockey
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Losing 4 times to the Oilers in 1983, 1984, 1988, and 1991 playoffs is hardly an excuse. Especialy when the Oilers won the Cup in those years.
Don't feel sad cause 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Last edited by It's a great day 4 hockey; 07-21-2018 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Brutal
It's a great day 4 hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:02 AM   #49
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Two of those were when the flames weren’t really ready to contend
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #50
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

For those of us old enough to have watched the flames win the cup, where were you? We weren't 18 yet and watched a lot of games that year at Crystal Palace pool hall on Electric Ave. What a crazy place to be that night.

Last edited by Nage Waza; 07-21-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #51
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
For those of us old enough to have watched the flames win the cup, where were you?
Bottlescrew Bill’s
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #52
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For those of us old enough to have watched the flames win the cup, where were you?
In my living room watching my older brother spill beer all over the carpet in excitement when Gilmour put us up by 1 in game 6.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #53
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5lPxjqdszg&hd=1
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #54
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I was playing ball hockey at the West Hillhurst arena. The team we beat were named the Canadiens
Old 07-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #55
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Two of those were when the flames weren’t really ready to contend
They may not have been ready at the time, but once you got past the Oilers, the road to the Cup finals was a lot easier where anything could happen. The 86 Flames are a great example.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #56
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

So bad - I wasn't even in town. It was one of the few years I worked elsewhere in Alberta. In Oiler country (north of Edmonton).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #57
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
For those of us old enough to have watched the flames win the cup, where were you? We weren't 18 yet and watched a lot of games that year at Crystal Palace pool hall on Electric Ave. What a crazy place to be that night.
We watched it at home with friends and family and then went downtown to Electric Ave. That was one of the greatest nights of my life.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #58
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They may not have been ready at the time, but once you got past the Oilers, the road to the Cup finals was a lot easier where anything could happen. The 86 Flames are a great example.
In '83 and '84, that wasn't remotely true. There was a solid brick wall at the other end of the road, called the New York Islanders. The Flames wouldn't have stood a chance against them.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #59
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Point and Feather in Oakridge, back when it was a small place with about six tables. After the win, the owner personally gave out champagne and cigars to every table, gratis.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #60
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Watched the game at home with family and then went cruising around the city afterwards with my dad. Good memories!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote