Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really sad. And a weird death.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #42
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Always sad when someone passes away before their time but Emery had serious issues that he never seemed to address. I’m not a fan of turning someone into a saint upon their death.

“On September 18, 2017, Emery was arrested for assault with a weapon and uttering threats towards then-fiancé Keshia Chanté, after Chanté went to authorities seeking a restraining order. TMZ reported that Emery got violent and threatened Chanté, allegedly abusing her several times from July to September 2016.”

I was out for dinner with family when I read this post but was perplexed and troubled. Posting the negatives of Ray Emery's life just after he passed away comes across in poor taste and insensitive. None of us are saints and posting this doesn't make you one either.

Some's people do things because they have real life issues; People who have dealt with abuse growing up can have emotional scars and difficulties with anger issues later, or people with substance issues will steal in order to feed a difficult uncontrollable urge. Unfortunately not everyone realizes at least right away they need help. Ray Emery just passed away let's not kick him while he is down.

I am sure he still has family and friends that love him, digging up dirt to encourage how you feel he should be perceived by others serves no purpose.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #43
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too young. My heart goes out to his family.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #44
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

sad news...can't say i was a huge fan of his, but passing at 35 is way too young.

condolences to his family and friends
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #45
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was not a fan of him but that is an awful thing to happen. He still had so much more life ahead of him and lots of potential as a person.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #46
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad news.
Tough to forget that one game against the Blackhawks in 2013, I think, where Emery totally stonewalled the Flames with 50 saves or something. That was one heck of a goaltending performance.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #47
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
A heartbreaking day for many, but he made a positive impact with the time he had left.

RIP Ray
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was never a huge fan of Ray Emery, I found his style and attitude abrasive, but at the same time he seemed to be someone who would always stand up for his teammates and do his best when called upon.

Just a tragic accident, regardless of any contributory causes. Too young.

He seemed like he had transitioned into a post-hockey life quite well and then something like this happens.

I hope when you got to the Pearly Gates St. Peter didnt ask you to put a heavenly baseball cap on, because if he did I imagine hes going to have a bad time.

RIP Ray.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #49
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a little surprised in hearing that he drown, as I have always felt that most pro-athletes find it very easy to do anything athletic, therefore, I would have assumed he could easily swim. However, that being said, perhaps he could, and there were extenuating circumstances like undertow or something.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #50
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I was a little surprised in hearing that he drown, as I have always felt that most pro-athletes find it very easy to do anything athletic, therefore, I would have assumed he could easily swim. However, that being said, perhaps he could, and there were extenuating circumstances like undertow or something.
Some report was saying he hit his head while diving into the water.

Presumably got knocked out and drowned. Hopefully it wasn't painful
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #51
expatflame
Formerly FlamesFaninChina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Reports said he was diving off his friend’s boat after 6am and never came up. He could have easily have hit a rock or something while diving in which case, athleticism had nothing to do with it.

Last edited by expatflame; 07-15-2018 at 07:02 PM.
expatflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #52
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wonder if he was intoxicated. Happened to a friend of mine - he also died while swimming. Ironically, was playing a game of who could swim the longest under water without coming up for air. Super sad
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #53
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m sad that he passed away. Just like everyone else, I really wish he hadn’t. I sympathize with his friends and family who are grieving his loss. However, his death doesn’t erase the things that he allegedly did when he was alive but I don’t want to prolong this so I’ll leave it be.
I must have missed the posts where people were singing his praises as a human being who will be sorely missed by all.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #54
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I liked his fire on the ice. I was always rooting for him, hoping the next season or next stop would be where he would explode with his full potential.

We don't know him well enough to understand his personal problems. But to see that untapped potential as a hockey player and as a man not be fully realized is truly tragic.
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #55
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I must have missed the posts where people were singing his praises as a human being who will be sorely missed by all.
This is what I thought. How random and out of nowhere to just start bashing a guy who has just died. Completely unprovoked reaction.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #56
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
This is what I thought. How random and out of nowhere to just start bashing a guy who has just died. Completely unprovoked reaction.
For some people, virtue-signalling is never out of place.

If ‘being an alleged domestic abuser’ is enough to wipe out every memory of everything else that a person ever did, so that it is the only thing worth mentioning after they die – well, I hope anyone who feels that way is never ‘alleged’ to have done anything wrong. Apparently all you have to do is allege, and the person being accused is a monster for all eternity.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #57
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Always sad when someone passes away before their time but Emery had serious issues that he never seemed to address. I’m not a fan of turning someone into a saint upon their death.

“On September 18, 2017, Emery was arrested for assault with a weapon and uttering threats towards then-fiancé Keshia Chanté, after Chanté went to authorities seeking a restraining order. TMZ reported that Emery got violent and threatened Chanté, allegedly abusing her several times from July to September 2016.”

Translation: “I’d like to interrupt this somber thread to let everyone know that I am, in fact, an #######.”
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #58
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Translation: “I’d like to interrupt this somber thread to let everyone know that I am, in fact, an #######.”
Despite his/her efforts not to prolong it, you and everyone else wants to quote what he said. I don't know which is worse, the post itself or everyone quoting what was said
Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #59
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Despite his/her efforts not to prolong it, you and everyone else wants to quote what he said. I don't know which is worse, the post itself or everyone quoting what was said

You’re probably right. Apologies for dragging it on.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #60
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really not saying anything about Emery or XXXTentacion, but it is quite the contrast to XXXTentacion's death thread where he was randomly murdered in a robbery gone wrong. The majority of the posters (of the few posts) were quick to point out his alleged beating of his girlfriend, said "Good riddance," "play stupid games" "they weren't going to lament the loss" etc. etc. He had not been found guilty at the time of his murder either.

My opinion is that Emery, being a hockey player we had all watched, is a bit more close to home than an up and coming rapper and therefore a bit more empathy for us.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post: