Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:
Default Transformers: War for Cybertron

I'll just leave this here.

Looks to be based off the War Within storyline from the Dreamwave comics (The same story that originated the idea of "The Fallen").

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 01-07-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Sorry. No classic Transform sound = no good.

Not a big fan of the designs either but decent.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #3
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

New Trailer with Trypticony and Omega Supremey goodness.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 01-26-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

What? You go and get Cullen but no Frank Welker? Tsk Tsk.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Omega Supreme? That's Metroplex no?
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If there's one thing that's characteristic of Omega supreme, it's the wings on the back, the rocket for the left hand, and the skill crane he's got for a right hand. Although you would figure he would be firing from the left.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I'm getting real tired of all these recent Transformers enterprises leaving out the single greatest Transformer of all time...

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Is it an RTS?
Old 01-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I'm getting real tired of all these recent Transformers enterprises leaving out the single greatest Transformer of all time...
Grimlock played a huge part in The War Within, so I won't be shocked if he gets some screen time in this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
What? You go and get Cullen but no Frank Welker? Tsk Tsk.
You heard Welker try and do his old Megatron voice recently? Sounds like an old man with lung problems, just not menacing. That's why he was passed over during the Bay moves for Hugo Weaving and likely why he was passed over here. I won't be shocked if he's voicing Skywarp/Soundwave if they have lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Is it an RTS?
Gears of War styled 3rd person shooter, apparently (But that's been somewhat denied by the game designers.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
Omega Supreme? That's Metroplex no?
Omega Supreme

Metroplex

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 01-26-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Metroplex should be the one fighting Trypticon in the game. Omega Surpreme's nemesis is Devastator.

I've said before that I'm not a fan of the art. The music is pretty lame too. I hope this is not indicative of the in-game music. The orchestra and operatic voices schtick is getting old. Then again, I've always hated that. If I had my way, it'd be 80s synth all the way Vince DiCola style and the designs would be more anime based than the American comic book look (chunky ridiculous boxes of Pat Lee inspiration).
Old 01-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #11
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yes clearly that's Omega Supreme. Didn't really pay attention. I guess because Trypticon was in it I naturally assumed that the dude going up against him was Metroplex. Eitherway, Omega Supreme is cool, but hopefully he battles Devastator. Omega hates those damn constructicons.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
Yes clearly that's Omega Supreme. Didn't really pay attention. I guess because Trypticon was in it I naturally assumed that the dude going up against him was Metroplex. Eitherway, Omega Supreme is cool, but hopefully he battles Devastator. Omega hates those damn constructicons.
Quote:
Metroplex should be the one fighting Trypticon in the game. Omega Surpreme's nemesis is Devastator.
Yeah, cause the Constructicons got turned evil by Megatron... who they built deep beneath Cybertron... who built the Constructicons in a cave on Earth...

Fact is, Omega Supreme got thrown against Devastator because he was the only Decepticon at that point in time of release that was similar in size. He was supposed to be another city-bot a la Metroplex, Fortress Maximus, Trypticon, Metrotitan (EVvvviiiiil Metroplex OooOooOoooo) and Scorponok. Nevermind the fact that this is just the trailer, not the actual game. The Guardian Robots (of which Omega Supreme is one of) were on the Autobot's side and he could just merely be the Transformer equivalent of a tank, while Trypticon is an Aircraft Carrier (Trypticon does look a bit bigger) and we'll see Metroplex as some point.

Quote:
I've said before that I'm not a fan of the art. The music is pretty lame too. I hope this is not indicative of the in-game music. The orchestra and operatic voices schtick is getting old. Then again, I've always hated that. If I had my way, it'd be 80s synth all the way Vince DiCola style and the designs would be more anime based than the American comic book look (chunky ridiculous boxes of Pat Lee inspiration).
Pat Lee's design style WAS anime based and he forced everyone at Dreamwave to use said style (For two reasons, one it was "the house style" and two so he could take credit for work that may or may not be his). That was the entire problem with his blow-up doll inspired robots. People like Don Figueroa base their designs on the lines of the old artists (Geoff Senior and Andy Wildman, both from the UK oddly. Apparently Americans suck at drawing robots). But with you, I don't think it matters. Unless they do it in cel animation, raise Chris Latta, Don Messick, and Scatman Crothers from the dead and reassemble the entire original voice cast, you're not going to be happy. I get the sudden feeling you used to sit in front of your tv watching Beastwars screaming "TRUKK NOT MUNKY!!1!11!"

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 01-27-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...mers-war/62342
The Reveal trailer is out for it
I'll leave it to the hardcore nerds to pick out all the individual transformers
Old 03-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Doesn't look to be anyone new. So far the only announced playable characters are Megatron, Soundwave and Starscream for the Decepticons and Optimus, Bumblebee and Ratchet for the Autobots.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 AM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Pat Lee's design style WAS anime based and he forced everyone at Dreamwave to use said style (For two reasons, one it was "the house style" and two so he could take credit for work that may or may not be his). That was the entire problem with his blow-up doll inspired robots. People like Don Figueroa base their designs on the lines of the old artists (Geoff Senior and Andy Wildman, both from the UK oddly. Apparently Americans suck at drawing robots). But with you, I don't think it matters. Unless they do it in cel animation, raise Chris Latta, Don Messick, and Scatman Crothers from the dead and reassemble the entire original voice cast, you're not going to be happy. I get the sudden feeling you used to sit in front of your tv watching Beastwars screaming "TRUKK NOT MUNKY!!1!11!"
Pat Lee's style and the subsequent dreamwave house style and even the style that still permeates a lot of the current comics is really more of "what a North American thinks anime style should look like". Ultimately, for me, Transformers for me has to be the Studio Toei versions derived from Floro Dery's original character sheets (which I personally don't like until they got the Japanese studio treatment).

Figueroa and Guido Guidi, etc. are okay but they still do it waay too chunky. It's just the American style I guess. It's this way even in other cartoons. I actually hated Andy Wildman's art when I was a kid (that was more due to his use of real faces and hands for robots). He drew a mean Action Master Grimlock though.

My favorite art is actually the Studio OX art which sadly was only really used in promotional material and Call of the Primatives (or it may have been Tokyo Movie Shinsha). My favorite art book is Transformers Visual Works which I picked up in Toronto last summer.

Also, dude, you have me pegged. I spent most of 1994 just getting terribly angry at computer animated vomit that was on TV called Beasties. I hate Beast Wars 1000x more than the Vancouver Canucks. There's no possible way to put into words how much I hated that series. I also hate the current movies. Okay, fine I hate pretty much everything (including the Masterpiece/Alternator toys!) aside from some comics that do a very faithful job of translating the original 1984-85 characters to modern day versions. I also loved the Henkei! / Classics line and I have to get around to buying all of those one day. That was the only line of toys in the past 20 years that has put any effort into faithfully getting the feeling of the original characters right.

BTW, while we are talking Trypticon - here's some random trivia. In the original cartoon, he was voiced by the guy who plays Raymond's brother Robert in Everybody Loves Raymond!

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-03-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Pat Lee's style and the subsequent dreamwave house style and even the style that still permeates a lot of the current comics is really more of "what a North American thinks anime style should look like". Ultimately, for me, Transformers for me has to be the Studio Toei versions derived from Floro Dery's original character sheets (which I personally don't like until they got the Japanese studio treatment).
I can't remember which Animation house Toei was, I'll need to talk to the guy that knew all that stuff. There were three that worked on the original series. One was amazing (Call of the Primitives was their work), one was average, and one was horrible (They drew Optimus with the white back, responsible for most of season three and the abomination that was City of Steel).

Quote:
Figueroa and Guido Guidi, etc. are okay but they still do it waay too chuky. It's just the American style I guess. It's this way even in other cartoons. I actually hated Andy Wildman's art when I was a kid (that was more due to his use of real faces and hands for robots). He drew a mean Action Master Grimlock though.
I want my robots to be boxy. They're robots that transform into boxy vehicles. It doesn't make sense if they're bubbly and streamlined. That is just a difference in opinion of style, so I can't fault you for that.

Quote:
My favorite art is actually the Studio OX art which sadly was only really used in promotional material and Call of the Primatives (or it may have been Tokyo Movie Shinsha). My favorite art book is Transformers Visual Works which I picked up in Toronto last summer.
One of the saddest things about the cartoon was that the best animated episodes had terrible stories (Unicron was made by an angry monkey in a lab!) While some of the best stories the cartoon managed to produce were so terribly animated that they became hard to watch (Galvatron amongst the cheering Decepticons when Cyclonus says they're going to rescue Galvatron in Five Faces of Darkness comes to mind, the Insecticons being used as stock Decepticons etc.)

Quote:
Also, dude, you have me pegged. I spent most of 1994 just getting terribly angry at computer animated vomit that was on TV called Beasties. I hate Beast Wars 1000x more than the Vancouver Canucks. There's no possible way to put into words how much I hated that series. I also hate the current movies. Okay, fine I hate pretty much everything (including the Masterpiece/Alternator toys!) aside from some comics that do a very faithful job of translating the original 1984-85 characters to modern day versions. I also loved the Henkei! / Classics line and I have to get around to buying all of those one day. That was the only line of toys in the past 20 years that has put any effort into faithfully getting the feeling of the original characters right.
Yeah, I know this about you. I was like that once, but then I just got over it. I realized that storywise, Beast Wars was just so much better, consistant and linear with far better animation. Beastwars did something it didn't have to do, and reached out to older fans in season two. They called up Simon Furman, said come consult for us and write an episode or two. There was no mandate for them to connect G1 and Beastwars but they did.

The new movies couldn't be the 1980s cartoon or even comics. The designs just wouldn't translate aswell and people unfamiliar with the mithos would be confused by the mass-shifting and subspace ideas. I wouldn't, you wouldn't, but someone new to the series? They had to make it as believable as possible, and they did a great job in the first movie and stretched it a bit in the second movie. Part of my problem with the second movie was how they pushed the limit too much (still liked it more than the first one).

As for R.i.D, Armada, Energon, and Cybertron they were all miserable. Transformers: Animated was quite good though, and a lot of that has to do with a lot of G1 influence in design, and voice acting.

Quote:
BTW, while we are talking Trypticon - here's some random trivia. In the original cartoon, he was voiced by the guy who plays Raymond's brother Robert in Everybody Loves Raymond!
Old news is old. It was one of his first voice acting gigs.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 03-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I can't remember which Animation house Toei was, I'll need to talk to the guy that knew all that stuff. There were three that worked on the original series. One was amazing (Call of the Primitives was their work), one was average, and one was horrible (They drew Optimus with the white back, responsible for most of season three and the abomination that was City of Steel).

I want my robots to be boxy. They're robots that transform into boxy vehicles. It doesn't make sense if they're bubbly and streamlined. That is just a difference in opinion of style, so I can't fault you for that.

One of the saddest things about the cartoon was that the best animated episodes had terrible stories (Unicron was made by an angry monkey in a lab!) While some of the best stories the cartoon managed to produce were so terribly animated that they became hard to watch (Galvatron amongst the cheering Decepticons when Cyclonus says they're going to rescue Galvatron in Five Faces of Darkness comes to mind, the Insecticons being used as stock Decepticons etc.)
You'd recognize Toei as they did most of the episodes overall including the Movie. Basically it's the primary "good" animation house that you'd recognize from MTMTE, Dinobot Island, Atlantis Arise, The Golden Lagoon, The Return of Optimus Prime, and the Movie etc. along with about half of the entire show and generally dictated the overall look of the show as most people remember. They did GI Joe as well for Sunbow.

The bad ones were a Phillipine studio and AKOM, the Korean studio run by Nelson Shin who started directing the episodes and then opened his own animation studio for the fledgling Korean industry who couldn't really draw at that time. He's also the guy who animated the light sabers by hand in the original Star Wars and I think his brother Peter Shin and AKOM are the ones that now do Family Guy, American Dad, etc. and the company has matured a lot. AKOM was responsible for the abomination that was Five Faces of Darkness, Rebirth, and most of season 3.

It's still not clear who did Call of the Primitives, the designs look like Studio OX character sheets, people say it might be Tokyo Movie Shinsha.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #18
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even I think that was nerdy.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #19
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Even I think that was nerdy.
This is important stuff you Trekkie!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #20
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
It's still not clear who did Call of the Primitives, the designs look like Studio OX character sheets, people say it might be Tokyo Movie Shinsha.
Yeah. They also did Killing Jar (another episode with really good animation). Rumours are they did a few others, but I've never found them out.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver