Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #41
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite genre (and probably one I mainly play) are Japanese rpgs, so for me the PS3 will be the way to go eventually. As the Xbox still sells like crap in Japan no matter how good it is, I think the PS3 will at least beat the Xbox in that department.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #42
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

There's some pretty cool RPGs out for the 360 though.. Enchanted Arms was great I thought, and I haven't even tried Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata yet.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #43
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Don't quote me on the numbers, but PS3 has a lot of room to expand it's games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Care to quote where you get these number from?

Nope
Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #44
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah, I'll probably end up picking up both. I dunno what it is, but I think back when I was a kid, I really really wanted an SNES but my parents refused to buy me one cuz they spent so much money already on my NES and its games. Thus I totally skipped that generation. But since the original Playstation 1 days when I was old enough to make my own money, I've owned basically every console that's come out since then. Well, except the Sega Saturn (didn't have the money to), Atari Linx (crappy games), and Neo Geo (too expensive!).
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #45
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Nope
I was asking for your source... not seeking to quote you directly...

oh never mind.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #46
Josh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought a playstation 3 because it has a bluray player and has (or is going to have) the games I want to play. I like my PS3

My brother has a 360, he likes his 360.

Whenever we get together, all we ever do is argue over who's system is better.

(Just kidding, we're both in our mid 20's and have much better things to do than be a bunch of fanboys).

Get whatever system you think is going to be best for you, and ignore the advice from the fanboys.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #47
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Gears of war I think was a good game but to each his own.
Gears of War came out around the 1 year mark so I didn't include it.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #48
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC the PS3 is probally getting there own game in the Gears of War universe. Also I am really stoked for Killzone 2, if it ever comes out that is.
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #49
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

My vote is 360, but I don't really have any experience with Playstations.
As most people mentioned, it depends on the games you like to play. My family also has a wii, but that's better for parties I find.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #50
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
WE played NHL 07 on the PS3 after playing on the 360 for a long time, turned it off after half a game and it was returned. It was choppy for some odd reason. Terrible.
yeah, i read somewhere that ea sports games ran at 60 fps on 360 and 30 fps on the ps3 due to the the developers being unfamiliar with the ps3 and cell processor. I'm sure this will change in the 09 games (if it hasn't already in 08).

Have to agree with some of the other posters here, wii/360 (aka wii60) is an awesome combo, as long as you don't like japanese rpgs.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #51
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the 60 GB PS3 that I got in the summer, I mostly wen that way cause i never had an Xbox and had a whole libary of PS2 games and the 60 GB is BC. Again the Blu-ray thing was also a factor.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #52
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
yeah, i read somewhere that ea sports games ran at 60 fps on 360 and 30 fps on the ps3 due to the the developers being unfamiliar with the ps3 and cell processor. I'm sure this will change in the 09 games (if it hasn't already in 08).

Have to agree with some of the other posters here, wii/360 (aka wii60) is an awesome combo, as long as you don't like japanese rpgs.
the thing with EA sports is they build everything for the 360 and then port it over to the PS3. and as mentioned the PS3 isn't the easiest system to develop, so hopefully its only a matter of time before all the kinks get worked out.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #53
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
The PS2 had the biggest game library because it was the dominant-selling console of its generation, outselling both the Xbox and Gamecube combined. The PS3, on the other hand, has been a massive commercial failure for Sony. Developers will support the platform with the largest install base, and right now, that's the Xbox 360 (the Wii is more of a novelty system that generally won't see the same type of games that would be made for the Xbox/PS3).

Here are the US October sales figures for the consoles. Note that this is after the PS3 price drop.

Wii 519K
Xbox 360 366K
PlayStation 2 184K
PlayStation 3 121K

You know things are bad for Sony when their previous-gen console is selling 50% better than their current-gen offering.
hmmm i guess you don't google much. PS3 sales goes up 245% after the price cut. For the past 2 weeks it has outsold the wii in Japan.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183389.html

According to Sony, that rate of sale has roughly tripled, so it's likely around 321,750 PS3s were sold in November through Black Friday in North America. If those sales stay constant through the end of the month, then roughly 429,000 PS3s were sold in the US and Canada during the month. That's a marked improvement for the console, which has not sold more than 200,000 units in a single month this year.

Also PS3 sales increase Sony's shares. So things aren't so bad with Sony.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=176412
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #54
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I have the 60 GB PS3 that I got in the summer, I mostly wen that way cause i never had an Xbox and had a whole libary of PS2 games and the 60 GB is BC. Again the Blu-ray thing was also a factor.
That technology that will once again get trumpted by the industry standard? HD-DVD will be the only way to go in a few years...just like the MiniDisc was suppose to be the next best thing. Sony tries but always fails at that...but damn they make a good TV
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #55
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
That technology that will once again get trumpted by the industry standard? HD-DVD will be the only way to go in a few years...just like the MiniDisc was suppose to be the next best thing. Sony tries but always fails at that...but damn they make a good TV
well in that case I guess by then I am holding out for the hybred player technology to be affordable
Old 11-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #56
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I bought a playstation 3 because it has a bluray player and has (or is going to have) the games I want to play. I like my PS3

My brother has a 360, he likes his 360.

Whenever we get together, all we ever do is argue over who's system is better.

(Just kidding, we're both in our mid 20's and have much better things to do than be a bunch of fanboys).

Get whatever system you think is going to be best for you, and ignore the advice from the fanboys.
I have this argument with my xbox fanboy friend all the time. He LOVES his 360 and I have a wii and ps3. Pretty easy argument for me right now since his XBOX is being shipping across the US getting fixed! hahaha. Not only that the HD DVD drive he bought for his xbox has software problems so the sound that comes out of it sounds like crap. Regular dvds sound better. hahahaha.

Don't really care for the games for the ps3, I bought it for the bluray player which is excellent. Movies are pretty cheap since they have 2 for 1 sales all the time but my main use for it is to play back my camcorder movies in hd.

The wii is just awesome!!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #57
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah with awesome titles like Transformers hahaha Blu ray is doomed! hehehe. What else is on HD DVD?

For all the HD DVD people out there, costco has a RCA player for $199. hmmm can it be any uglier though? Maybe my friend should get it so his hd dvds will sound better.

Last edited by Bertuzzied; 11-28-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #58
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree with you. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are both very similar technology so to say HD-DVD will win is simply ridiculous. The technologies are very similar, the main difference right now is the price. If Blu-Ray doesn't get cheaper anytime soon, then you may see a slight edge in HD-DVD.

In terms of the number of movies, Blu-Ray has a few more movies available in its arsenal than HD-DVD, but the difference is negligible. I do hate the fact that consumers are forced to pick one format over the other because of the studio loyalties. You should be able to get all titles no matter what format. Honestly, I just hope one dominates the other so we can just decide which format to go with.
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #59
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer2 View Post
I disagree with you. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are both very similar technology so to say HD-DVD will win is simply ridiculous. The technologies are very similar, the main difference right now is the price. If Blu-Ray doesn't get cheaper anytime soon, then you may see a slight edge in HD-DVD.

In terms of the number of movies, Blu-Ray has a few more movies available in its arsenal than HD-DVD, but the difference is negligible. I do hate the fact that consumers are forced to pick one format over the other because of the studio loyalties. You should be able to get all titles no matter what format. Honestly, I just hope one dominates the other so we can just decide which format to go with.
Well the rumour is Paramount was paid $150million for exclusitivity for HD. It is also expected to expire at the end of 2008 so they might be making blu ray dvds again.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #60
Josh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I picked both formats. I'm quite happy with my PS3, Toshiba HD-A3 combo.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote