Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #21
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Taken from my post: Our question mark towards the 18/19 season will be goaltending. I say goaltending because not only do we need Smith to play above average like he did last season, but we also need a backup who we know can play well when Smith is either injured or just simply needs rest..
Also taken from your post. . .

What exactly did I misread?

You didn't say 'one' or 'a' question mark, you said 'our'.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #22
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

You did say 'one' or 'a' question mark, you said 'our'.
You call "above average goaltending" goaltending problems? Alrighty. Take it as you may then. "Question mark" was directed towards the 18/19 season.

Last edited by ForeverFlameFan; 07-16-2018 at 09:50 PM.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #23
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary
SJ
Arizona
LA
Anaheim
Vegas
Edmonton
Vancouver.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #24
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agree with Bingo's comments about parity. In my view there is only one team as near a lock as can be (San Jose) and one team as near a write-off (Vancouver). Everyone else will come down to execution and luck.

No doubt that LA and Anaheim are both trending down but both still have enough talent to get into the show. Calgary and Vegas and Arizona and even Edmonton to an extent look capable of winning a lot of games, but it is a very open field.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #25
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You didn't say 'one' or 'a' question mark, you said 'our'.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #26
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hard to see Vegas dropping off the cliff next year. Sure they might slip a little, but fully expect Vegas to take a top 3 spot. Can't see SJ missing out either - So Calgary is in the mix with everyone else for #3 - a dogfight between LA, Calgary, ANA and Edmonton. I predict another slow start (new system blah blah blah) will cost the Flames #3 next season. I'll pick LA - but 3 thru 6 is a toss up.

SJ
Vegas
LA
Calgary
Edmonton
Anaheim
Arizona
Vancouver
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #27
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Actually the Kings by most measures are a great team to predict in sliding. They were average in possession, scoring chance splits, terrible WAR team, almost all advanced stats say they got away with murder last year.
Which site do you go to to get the advanced metrics?
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #28
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_starter View Post
Uh goaltending wasn't the issue.
Well, not on the road.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:20 PM   #29
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Like OP alluded to, the biggest question mark going into the season for me is goaltending. Smith stood on his head for the first half of the season and we didn't build any kind of a lead in points in a pretty weak division.

I am unsure if Smith can even repeat his stat-line from last year, let alone be better. However, what gives me hope is that I think Rittich is going to be a solid backup (compared to Lack, who was a mess) and having him for a whole year playing 20-25 games is going to help Smith a lot too. I think our forward depth improved significantly and I don't think we took that big of a hit, if any, on defence.

My projections:
SJ
Calgary
Vegas
---------
Edmonton
LA
Arizona
Vancouver
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:35 AM   #30
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No I'm not.

Goaltending wasnt the primary issue last year. Not by a long shot.

And even if it was, LA had/has better goaltending than the Flames do. So I fail to see how magically the Flames became better in the off-season, if goaltending was the issue.

Honestly, don't ask for people's thoughts if you don't want to hear them.

Don't join a discussion forum if you don't want to be challenged in a discussion. Enough with the rudeness already. There was nothing the last bit adversarial with his responses.

As for the discussion, I have it this way:

1A) Calgary - the changes will really show the depth of this team

1B) Vegas - like Calgary, they have a lot of depth. Might win the division again and push Calgary to 2nd.

3) SJ - I agree with the staying power comments. They just always get the job done.
4) LA - bubble team this year
5) Anaheim - I have them out - I predict another slow start, but this time they fail to make up for it. I also think that they have become a slower and more prodding team that will have issues keeping up this year.

6) Arizona - They take a step forward, and leapfrog Edmonton
7) Edmonton - It is a team in disarray. Not enough moves to address their many issues.

8) Vancouver - The loss of the Sedins will really hurt them this year.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 01:13 AM   #31
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Calgary
SJ
Arizona
LA
Anaheim
Vegas
Edmonton
Vancouver.
This is how I see it as well.

I think Arizona finally starts to put it together and starts winning for a change, where as I dont see Vegas repeating their success, everything just went so right for them last year. Edmontonand Vancouver could be interchangeable of course.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #32
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

The division is so level this year. I think flames, coyotes improve, sharks stay a playoff team, kings, Vegas and ducks slip, Edmonton stays buried and Canucks crash harder. However, even with teams like LA, Vegas and Anaheim slipping, they all have good enough goaltending to go on enough of a run to get in.

My predictions

San Jose
Calgary
Anaheim
Arizona

Vegas
LA
Edmonton
Vancouver
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:11 AM   #33
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope this is the season the Ducks finally fall down the crapper and become irrelevant. I'm so tired of seeing them start the season poorly and be written off, only to come roaring back as the season progresses.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #34
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Edmonton is a bottom 3 team with the Flames challenging for the top spot with San Jose. That being said it's hockey and anything can, and does happen.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #35
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
No I'm not.

Goaltending wasnt the primary issue last year. Not by a long shot.

And even if it was, LA had/has better goaltending than the Flames do. So I fail to see how magically the Flames became better in the off-season, if goaltending was the issue.

Honestly, don't ask for people's thoughts if you don't want to hear them.
I'm just going with "is an ass" then, but I'll grant you that you may not have to try to get there.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

My predictions

SJ - They are a good team, but they're getting older, at some point that's going to catch up to them.

Calgary - I really do like what Treliving has done, and more importantly it sends a message that no more BS is going to be tolerated in that locker room. the big question is goaltending to me, but this team is probably going to be better coached, and Peters won't let the team wave the white flag like last year

LA - The last horrah, they're getting older, really older, and they're not particularly fast, but they will bottle up the ice on you.

Vegas - I think they're going to fall back to earth, they're going to suffer from Oilers syndrome and they didn't really face a lot of adversity last year, hows that team going to deal with it this year.

Anahein - a decent core, but they're getting older, I think they'll start strong and then struggle down the stretch and fall out there.

Arizona - I still don't get it, their GM is busy and makes moves and they just never change. Rome was not built using statistics and neither will the Yotes

Edmonton - I just don't get how anyone can think that this collection of junk with a couple of shiny baubles is going to compete for anything but a draft lotto position. But Captain squeal the Oiler fans, everything went wrong for us last year and Talbot will bounce back and McDavid will be even more awesomer and a lot of guys had down years, to which I respond "Shut your damn filthy ho mouths". This is a badly built team with a lot of problems and their talent bombs like a lava bomb through a tour boat after their top line.

Vancouver - As the song by Billy and the Boingers goes "You stink eh oh eh oh eh oh, you really stink, you really stink girl, you really stink eh oh eho oh eh oh you really stink . . .but we love you" We love you Vancouver because you stink-O

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #37
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

San Jose
Vegas
Anaheim
Calgary
LA
Edmonton
Arizona
Vancouver
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #38
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Flames
Knights
Sharks
Oilers
Coyotes
Kings
Ducks
Canucks
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #39
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that last season was the perfect storm of factors that kept a good team from earning a playoff spot. And the roster this season is at least as good as last season, if not slightly better and more evenly distributed. It will take a lot of bad things happening together to prevent this team from doing what it should have been able to do last season.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I think that last season was the perfect storm of factors that kept a good team from earning a playoff spot. And the roster this season is at least as good as last season, if not slightly better and more evenly distributed. It will take a lot of bad things happening together to prevent this team from doing what it should have been able to do last season.
I've said elsewhere that, even with the same roster and the same coach, that team makes the POs more times than not (heck, they did it the year before with Elliott and Johnson in net).

I don't think the roster is slightly better - it's a lot better as far as team scoring is concerned. Plus, I don't think Backlund has a subpar shooting percentage again. Frolik will go back to a normal shooting percentage, though he may not get the ice time he did, and the third line will be solidified as a result. The bottom line will almost certainly contribute a few more goals.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote