Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #261
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chris Kane predicted on May 25 that:

Neal would sign a 1 yr deal for $4,310,268

Ryan would sign a 2 year deal $2,483,222 /yr

Czarnik 1 year at $715,773 but that was as a RFA Since he only played 10 NHL games this year his NHL total is 59 was under 80 NHL games so he became a UFA
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #262
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

^
Kane may not have predicted the correct terms for the Flames's recent FA acquisitions, but his projected estimates are bang on:

James Neal — 5yrs, $5.8 (-$50,000 AAV)
Derek Ryan — 3yrs, $3.06 m (+$60,000 AAV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #263
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Would be thrilled if he is 4th line centre. Unfortunately looking at how BP used him in carolina im pretty sure this is gonna be the guy we are all angry is getting too much ice time as the year goes on. With the talent on this team Ryan should never see the PP. But i guarantee you Peters will roll him out there more than Chuckie, Bennett, Backlund and lindholm.

If all the PP ice time stayed identical to last year except Ryan got all of Brouwer’s minutes, that there would drastically improve the power play.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #264
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
If all the PP ice time stayed identical to last year except anyone got all of Brouwer’s minutes, that there would drastically improve the power play.
an alternate version of your post which still holds true.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #265
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1020058892565327873
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #266
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Ryan's role will be RW'ing for one of the four lefty centres, due to faceoffs on the strong side. Peters has attested multiple times in interviews since the hire about how important it was to get the puck right off the bat.

Haynes made an excellent post featuring Conroy about how important it was to be on the strong side.

Enough is Enough: Treliving Finally Repairs Hole in Line-up that has Existed for Seven Years

Quote:
First thing he pointed out is it's the position of the official that matters most. Going back to those late-game face-offs against Buffalo, with the draw taking place to Smith's right in the defensive zone, the linesman dropping the puck is to the right of Brouwer. As a right shot, what makes Brouwer on his strong side is his ability to turn quickly (clockwise) as the puck is dropped and to be able to do so unimpeded by the official, who is standing on the opposite side of where he's turning. Of course, he's doing that while simultaneously trying to pull the puck back with his backhand.

“You feel so good on your strong side because the big thing is the ref isn't in your way. You can spin your body and you have more leverage,” explains Conroy. “If I go to push the other way, it doesn't give me as much strength and leverage. That's the thing that makes the difference."

Conroy was also in the building that night when Buffalo was in town and he also vividly recalls that fateful sequence.

“I remember sitting there, watching Brouw, and thinking to myself maybe slide your stick up a bit more, turn your body, but he knew he couldn't do anything,” said Conroy.
I think Lindholm will be used either to support Monahan's faceoffs on his weak side when the game turns defensive, or take a role centering a scoring line with Bennett on the wing taking off-wing faceoffs when its time to push for a goal.

Last season Bennett was used mostly on wing, but he can boast a FO% of 54.34%. Backlund held serve at 50% and Monahan (with a bum wrist) edged above that with 50.39%. The fact that Monahan was able to stay above water with his wrists being frozen all the time like that is nothing short of miraculous.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #267
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Ryan is essentially the 3rd/4th line centre, depending on where you slot Jankowski. Which puts his minutes around 8 to 10ish.

I think the main reason he was signed was for situational minutes. PP, PK. D zone faceoffs on his strong side etc. Which would probably his minutes in the 12 to 13 ish range on some nights.

Basically the 4th line centre on paper, but much more than just that.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #268
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

For some reason I think of this guy as Stefan Yelle 2.0. No basis for this, just an association.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #269
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
For some reason I think of this guy as Stefan Yelle 2.0. No basis for this, just an association.
That would be a very good thing
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #270
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

One of my favourite players from the ‘04 run.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #271
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan took the long road to the NHL so he probably doesn’t take a minute of it for granted. Hope he does well this year.

Quote:
It’s because he’s so gritty...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 09:54 PM   #272
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I believe Ryan's role will be RW'ing for one of the four lefty centres, due to faceoffs on the strong side. Peters has attested multiple times in interviews since the hire about how important it was to get the puck right off the bat.

Haynes made an excellent post featuring Conroy about how important it was to be on the strong side.

Enough is Enough: Treliving Finally Repairs Hole in Line-up that has Existed for Seven Years

I think Lindholm will be used either to support Monahan's faceoffs on his weak side when the game turns defensive, or take a role centering a scoring line with Bennett on the wing taking off-wing faceoffs when its time to push for a goal.

Last season Bennett was used mostly on wing, but he can boast a FO% of 54.34%. Backlund held serve at 50% and Monahan (with a bum wrist) edged above that with 50.39%. The fact that Monahan was able to stay above water with his wrists being frozen all the time like that is nothing short of miraculous.
Just want to say I love everyone of your posts, don’t ever stop
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 11:27 PM   #273
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving said (or let slip) that Ryan was pencilled as a C.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #274
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Penciled is probably the key word. I think at the end of the day the coach will build the lines. That being said, Peters familiarity with Ryan probably will land him at center.

I do love the fact that there are so many options for the team. They are bound to find something that works so Calgary is no longer a one line team.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #275
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have strong feelings about Derek Ryan after his first three games as a Flame?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #276
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Does anyone have strong feelings about Derek Ryan after his first three games as a Flame?
Underwhelming? It's still very early in the season though. Plenty of time for him to have a hot streak of two and put up some points.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #277
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Matt Stajan with better faceoff ability, honestly. Once again, between Frolik and Ryan, the Flames are saddled with nearly $8 million sitting on their 4th line. It's like tradition at this point.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #278
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ryan is a huge upgrade to Stajan imo. Have to remember Ryan can play up and down the lineup.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #279
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

He looked great in China.... since then he's been kind of 'meh'.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #280
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

He's been fine. Good on faceoffs. He typically scores most of his goals on weird plays and bounces in tight and they usually come in bunches, so I think we'll like him a lot more once the floodgates open.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote