Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #21
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Croatias problem is far as I see it is they don't have enough good wingers. We have midfielders for days and even some really nice defenders young and old, but just don't have the wingers. If we had 1 more Perisic or someone like him that'd be really ideal, but with such a small country its hard to produce deep talent at every position.

This tournament will really be all about (for me) Mandzu, and how he does for Croatia on the big stage. I know what to expect from Perisic and Modric and Rakitic. If Mandzu can play like he does for Juve in the Champions League next month we can be very dangerous.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #22
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I would have said a midfield of De Bruyne-Dembele-Nainggolan is certainly one of the best, but Roberto Martinez figures it's better to not even take Nainggolan and have Fellaini in that midfield instead. Belgium, like France, should probably be in favorite territory, instead with such crappy management it'll be biggest disappointment territory instead.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #23
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Probably about time someone (else) starts a World Cup thread, no?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #24
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Well I would have said a midfield of De Bruyne-Dembele-Nainggolan is certainly one of the best, but Roberto Martinez figures it's better to not even take Nainggolan and have Fellaini in that midfield instead. Belgium, like France, should probably be in favorite territory, instead with such crappy management it'll be biggest disappointment territory instead.
Pretty crazy selection decision, Belgium has great talent but lack a style of play and any real cohesiveness. I also am not sold on Hazard as a player who can turn up on the biggest stage and lead his team to glory, same with De Bruyne. Both have had great domestic success but very little to show on the international or champions league level.

A great predictor of success in this tournament is having a team with players that are already proven on the worlds biggest stages. I see very little of that on Belgium. I felt a similar way about Brazil’s 2014 team compared to other world class teams at the time. If you look at past World Cup winners and view their rosters they almost all are full of players that that were already experienced and successful at the highest levels of football.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-21-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Pretty crazy selection decision, Belgium has great talent but lack a style of play and any real cohesiveness. I also am not sold on Hazard as a player who can turn up on the biggest stage and lead his team to glory, same with De Bruyne. Both have had great domestic success but very little to show on the international or champions league level.

A great predictor of success in this tournament is having a team with players that are already proven on the worlds biggest stages. I see very little of that on Belgium. I felt a similar way about Brazil’s 2014 team compared to other world class teams at the time.
Really? I consider Belgium to be one of the strongest teams, albeit their omission of Naingollan seems short sighted, hes an effective weapon as a 'Plan B.'

BUt thats a scary good team, their only real issue is depth. Their starting XI is excellent.

I dont think Hazard or Lukaku really need to prove anything anymore and while their domestic seasons werent great, they can really turn it up at the World Cup.

Hazard is basically blackmailing Chelsea into signing players or he wont re-sign, but I see their opening lineup and its impressive.

In no particular order

Courtois
Alderweireld - Kompany - Vertonghen - Vermaelen
Hazard - De Bruyne - Dembele - Witsel
Lukaku - Benteke

I probably wouldnt have Lukaku and Benteke on at the same time, but thats a solid lineup and they still have some depth on the bench.

Thats a good team especially when you consider that KDB is going to be spraying passes to Hazard and Lukaku.

The Belgians are definitely in this with a shout, but Martinez does not inspire me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #26
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really? I consider Belgium to be one of the strongest teams, albeit their omission of Naingollan seems short sighted, hes an effective weapon as a 'Plan B.'

BUt thats a scary good team, their only real issue is depth. Their starting XI is excellent.

I dont think Hazard or Lukaku really need to prove anything anymore and while their domestic seasons werent great, they can really turn it up at the World Cup.

Hazard is basically blackmailing Chelsea into signing players or he wont re-sign, but I see their opening lineup and its impressive.

In no particular order

Courtois
Alderweireld - Kompany - Vertonghen - Vermaelen
Hazard - De Bruyne - Dembele - Witsel
Lukaku - Benteke

I probably wouldnt have Lukaku and Benteke on at the same time, but thats a solid lineup and they still have some depth on the bench.

Thats a good team especially when you consider that KDB is going to be spraying passes to Hazard and Lukaku.

The Belgians are definitely in this with a shout, but Martinez does not inspire me.
I’m not disagreeing that they have some very talented players on their team, I’m saying they have few players who have done anything on the biggest stages of football. I don’t see many Champions league winners or high end champions league performers. I see a team that is similar to the team that lost to Wales in the euros. I think hazard has an awful attitude on the field often, and a player that has shown very little when the lights are brightest. De Bruyne has been immense domestically but is also a player that has failed to do much on the biggest stages. I see a lot of very good players but no player that I would consider a big game performer. You need those types of players in the word cup.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #27
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Belgium were smart they should be going with

Courtois
Kompany-Alderweireld-Vertonghen
Witsel-Dembele-De Bruyne-Meunier
Mertens-Lukaku-Hazard

But not taking Nainggolan cannot possibly be for tactical reasons. You could set up 4-3-3 with Dembele and Nainngolan giving cover for De Bruyne to basically roam free. This is why I struggle to pick against Germany, the top teams are all very close in top end talent, but the coaching makes the difference. Low is elite, the rest are not so much.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
If Belgium were smart they should be going with

Courtois
Kompany-Alderweireld-Vertonghen
Witsel-Dembele-De Bruyne-Meunier
Mertens-Lukaku-Hazard

But not taking Nainggolan cannot possibly be for tactical reasons. You could set up 4-3-3 with Dembele and Nainngolan giving cover for De Bruyne to basically roam free. This is why I struggle to pick against Germany, the top teams are all very close in top end talent, but the coaching makes the difference. Low is elite, the rest are not so much.
Well that and their talent pool is ridiculous.

Germany can line-up a half dozen different ways as the occasion demands.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #29
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sane is tearing up the PL and he might not even start. There's a reason they are basically a lock for the last four every tournament.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #30
Moderation in all things...

Exp:

Hi folks,

With the rosters coming in, we've started a new World Cup thread and moved over all relevant recent posts. Don't worry -- nothing was deleted. Just thought it would be more organized this way.

Thanks!
Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Moderator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #31
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Hi folks,

With the rosters coming in, we've started a new World Cup thread and moved over all relevant recent posts. Don't worry -- nothing was deleted. Just thought it would be more organized this way.

Thanks!
Dammit, I was super curious what had happened to get the moderator account into a World Cup thread. Disappointed in the result.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #32
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

With this now being the World Cup thread maybe we can all lay out our predictions for the World Cup.

My final 4 is

Brazil Vs. France
Spain vs Germany

My final is Spain vs Brazil with Brazil winning of course. My bias is clearly evident here but I believe this will be the case. I would love a Germany Brazil final for the redemption but I think Germany has lost a few key cogs in their machine from last World Cup and Spain has improved greatly since 2014. I fully respect Germany as the reigning Champs but I do not think they are near the team they were in 2014. Khedira is not the same tank that he was and the absence of Lahm and Schewinsteiger will be evident.

My surprising dark horses for the tournament is Nigeria, who I have beating out Croatia in their group, and Peru who I have beating out Denmark for second in group D

This is the most amped I’ve been for a World Cup in my lifetime, especially after the Mineirazo in 2014. I was never convinced by that team as it was solely depended on Neymar. This is the best Brazil team since 2002 and I truly think this is their tournament to win.
Let the debates begin!

Last edited by Beninho; 05-21-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Dammit, I was super curious what had happened to get the moderator account into a World Cup thread. Disappointed in the result.
The moderators know better than to wander in here, soccer threads are supposed to be a little bit rowdy!

Although I dont know what WO403 did to get binned. It must just be enough that hes a Croatian Winnipeg fan...

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #34
Moderation in all things...

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry!
Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its probably because of the impending meltdown of pathetic Real Madrid fans after Liverpool wins the Champions' League.

Who are you pulling for in the World Cup?

For me its Ze Germans!

Old 05-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Sorry!
Pay him no mind.

It wouldnt kill you to start banning the odd United fan here and there though...

Old 05-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #37
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its probably because of the impending meltdown of pathetic Real Madrid fans after Liverpool wins the Champions' League.

Who are you pulling for in the World Cup?

For me its Ze Germans!
Madrid could make a starting 11 with Champion's League trophies and still have a sub. I'm sure things will be alright, especially after yet another win.

Nationally, I like Spain and Colombia as teams generally. I liked France's chances earlier, but not so much now. I think as it stands it's Germany's tournament to lose.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Madrid could make a starting 11 with Champion's League trophies and still have a sub. I'm sure things will be alright, especially after yet another win.

Nationally, I like Spain and Colombia as teams generally. I liked France's chances earlier, but not so much now. I think as it stands it's Germany's tournament to lose.
Spoken like a true Glory Whore. Typical RM fan. I'll just pick all the favourites.

Wheres your conviction?

Old 05-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #39
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spoken like a true Glory Whore. Typical RM fan. I'll just pick all the favourites.

Wheres your conviction?
Put down that stone Bayern fan!

Being a Flames fan lets me cheer for whoever I want in other sports! Also a Bills Fan ... and a Jays fan. I've earned a winner lol (I also started cheering for Bama just before Saban got hired, so that worked out rather well).
Old 05-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Put down that stone Bayern fan!

Being a Flames fan lets me cheer for whoever I want in other sports! Also a Bills Fan ... and a Jays fan. I've earned a winner lol (I also started cheering for Bama just before Saban got hired, so that worked out rather well).
There is also that. Souls can only be crushed so many times.

Tags
cry for argentina , diving , it's not coming home , orange slices , var is no good