Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #61
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
No different than having players today go over game tape .
Watching is one thing but doing it on the ice is different.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #62
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Watching is one thing but doing it on the ice is different.
I should have bolded the Drawing on paper part. Thats what I was referring to.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #63
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Huge gap between The Great One, Super Mario and any other player I've seen play. Never watched Orr or Howe, that's before my time.

Wayne was three steps ahead of everyone else and Mario was just the perfect specimen combined with the sickest skill I've ever seen. Those guys made Jagr, Sakic, Yzerman etc. look like average players.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #64
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

His highlights are interesting, A couple of his moves were similar to Tkachuck shootout moves. Also his slaps shots; His stick high up freezes the goalie momentarily and then he either fakes with a soft shot. deke or a slap shot that is high low, right side, or left but never towards the goalie.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #65
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

back in the day, a lot of hockey pools developed a rule that one could only select Gretzky's goals or assists - not his points total.

He was that far above everyone else.

Haven't seen anything like it since.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #66
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
talk about beating a dead horse.

you'd should just post this at HF boards, with the other 50 threads on the same topic, and be done with it.
What an asinine post.

4 pages so far should tell you there's interest in this topic
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #67
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Wayne was born in 1987 then he'd still have gone on to be the greatest player of all time. But I don't think the gap would be nearly as large. As it stands one could legit argue 99 is the greatest athlete ever.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #68
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
As it stands one could legit argue 99 is the greatest athlete ever.
Watch the 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #69
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Your generation ruined the worlds economy into the worst recession yet millennials know nothing.
OK, your response speaks for itself. Wow.

But yeah, Dion was saying Orr was better and he is probably right, in most ways. It's just too bad the injuries took over.
Loyal and True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #70
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal and True View Post

But yeah, Dion was saying Orr was better and he is probably right, in most ways. It's just too bad the injuries took over.
Orr played his whole career with bad knees and still dominated the league. Case closed
Old 12-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #71
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gretzky is the GOAT. All the records speak for themselves.

That said, competition in the 80s was not very good. Talent was diluted due to expansion and a lack of Europeans, physical fitness wasn't really a thing, and the goaltending was pathetic. This allowed someone special like Gretzky to absolutely dominate.

If Gretzky played today he would still be the best player but the gap would be much smaller and he would likely be winning scoring titles with 120 points instead of 200 points.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:17 PM   #72
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal and True View Post

You didn't include the first bit of my post

Also don't know how old you think I am but a millennial is any one between 20 and 40 years old.

Either way its off topic.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 12-11-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:26 PM   #73
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think he would be equal.

I think Gretzkys' hockey I.Q was blown out of the water. He was great for his time. He had more time and space . 75 % of the players where plugs.

His mind was ahead of his time . I think if he played today in his prime he would still be one of the best players in the game but only equal to todays best players.

Dmen don't just aim for the big hit any more and are much better skaters. Goalies don't play 15 feet out of the net, flop around as much and are 10x more athletic. He was fast for his time but there are lots of players who are just as fast and a dozen who are faster.

He dosnt get half the stats he did in todays game . No body traimed as hard as he did back then. Now every one is pretty much is in fantastic shape. I think him today in his prime would be equal to everyone else fitness wise.

Gretzky in his prime today if he trained into days nhl would be equal and consistently battling the likes of Crosby, Ovie and Stamkos. Equal but not a tier above them.

Hes not getting %60 of these poimts into days game even with the same training as todays players.

Here is the question that your logic fails on.

If Gretzkys competition was so terrible why didn't the other elite players put up numbers anywhere near Gretzkys.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:26 PM   #74
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't read the whole thread, but if you were not able to watch Gretzky in the 80's you missed something special. Lemieux was also an incredible talent and had his moments of being the best player in the game.

The thing about trying to compare current players like Crosby with Gretzky is that you can't do it in a vacuum. If you bring Gretzky to today's NHL, you are also bringing all the training advantages that today's players had. Hell, if you bring 80's Gretzky to the league today in the shape he was in then he takes about 3 games to find his stride and he runs away with the scoring title.

Crosby would have been great in any era, no doubt. I'm sure he would have been right there with the best in the game any time, but Gretzky was the greatest and I don't think it is really that close. The only challenger would definitely be Lemieux, but I think that the sad reality of his health issues is a factor that can't be discounted. He had a few seasons where he was the best in the game, bar none, but to elevate him to the best of all time will always be an exercise in wistful extrapolation. Lemieux had the potential to be the greatest ever while Gretzky simply was the greatest ever.

Oh, and McDavid? He's a pup. Seriously, let's talk about him in ten years or so.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 12:16 AM   #75
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Here is the question that your logic fails on.

If Gretzkys competition was so terrible why didn't the other elite players put up numbers anywhere near Gretzkys.
In the 80s their was no one like Wayne. In the 90s the other elite players were putting up similiar numbers. The talent pool was limited as it was still a minor sport throughout the majority of the states. I also think the majority of 90s hockey was trash too in all fairnes lookimg back.

The players started taking the game more serious . The game evolved partly because of him. He was the Plato, the Newton, the Einstien . They watched wayne which sparked a new generation into playimg and thinking like him.

His mind was ahead of the times he was in. The world learns from the best and is armed with the knowledge thwy have sooner in their field.

If you dropped Gretzky into todays game with all the same advantages of today. I don't think he runs away every year with scorimg titles . I think it would be close every year.

I think the playng field today with all the video session and health care provided would level it out.

He would still be one of the greatest players who played but the margin would be small enough you could make a case .

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 12-12-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #76
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Coffey would have probably had around 70 points without Gretzky. Mario would have probably had around 30 more points, as a second year player, if he played on a team that didn't completely suck. Those two were on a different level than the rest of the league, it wasn't even close.
When Gretzky went to LA, Bernie Nicholls became a 70 goal scorer

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 12-12-2017 at 12:41 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 12:47 AM   #77
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Watch the 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson
Gretzky was the greatest to ever play the game, but Jackson was hands down the best overall athlete I've ever seen or heard of.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/...te-of-all-time

Total freak.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 AM   #78
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Gretzky was the greatest to ever play the game, but Jackson was hands down the best overall athlete I've ever seen or heard of.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/...te-of-all-time

Total freak.
Did you say Gretzky and Jackson?

Old 12-12-2017, 04:26 AM   #79
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyway you slice it #99 was the best ever in terms of point production and seeing the game. If you look at a guy like Messier, who had Wayne as a teammate for what, 10 years and played an additional 5 seasons and was STILL nearly 1000 points behind?

Wayne saw the game at a totally different level, totally! Just last year with the Winter Classic in Winnipeg I was in pure amazement at his passing and play making skills he was making and this isn't a guy who spends a lot of time on the ice. He doesn't partake in a lot of these old timer style games etc.

The best way to answer your question is this. I believe a reporter in Nova Scotia who had covered this young local kid named Crosby asked Wayne or saw Wayne at the rink and asked for his opinion on him, Wayne was so intrigued by this kids skills that he asked to go onto the ice with him and was in amazement at the skill level. He made a statement to the effect of "This kid is going to break some of my records"

The reporter ended up writing a detailed piece on him and how he had a personal trainer and nutritionist at 13 or 14 years old, this is at a time when that stuff was mostly unheard of. I believe a year or two later Gretz invited him to attend the LA Kings informal skates that occur before the start of the season in September. I mean locally everybody knew this kid was good but when Wayne Gretzky says it, it has a certain effect.

I personally credit Crosby with changing specific aspects of the game with regards to training, nutrition and skill development for very young players. A lot of the young talent in the game would mimic him from an early age with the jersey number bearing your birth year and the fitness and workout aspect. These days the level of skill and speed coming in from some of these major Jr players is so impressive and Sid kind of started the trend in someways.

I know that players like Chelios were always big on the fitness aspect and so was Jagr but the difference with Sid was the age and the dedication that was going on. He literally had paid talent as a 13 year old and was working with a local Calgary trainer named Andy O'Brien who I believe is still with the Penguins in a sports science role.
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 06:53 AM   #80
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the 80s their was no one like Wayne. In the 90s the other elite players were putting up similiar numbers. The talent pool was limited as it was still a minor sport throughout the majority of the states. I also think the majority of 90s hockey was trash too in all fairnes lookimg back.

The players started taking the game more serious . The game evolved partly because of him. He was the Plato, the Newton, the Einstien . They watched wayne which sparked a new generation into playimg and thinking like him.

His mind was ahead of the times he was in. The world learns from the best and is armed with the knowledge thwy have sooner in their field.

If you dropped Gretzky into todays game with all the same advantages of today. I don't think he runs away every year with scorimg titles . I think it would be close every year.

I think the playng field today with all the video session and health care provided would level it out.

He would still be one of the greatest players who played but the margin would be small enough you could make a case .
So old past his peak Wayne Gretzky was as good as any other player in the league. He was the unicorn. The reason there was no one as good as Gretzky through his prime was there was no one as good as Gretzky.

In 94 he was still 10 points clear of his competition. 91 he was 30.
In 2014 Crosby was 3 points clear, In 2007 Crosby was 7 points clear. No one in the post Jagr Art Ross has had a gap larger thanks Gretzkys worst.

It Gretzky would have any comparable player today he should have had comparables in his era. He did not.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: