Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 07:11 PM   #41
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't know how anyone can watch that and condone it. If it's the 'way its done', then that way needs to be changed. That was a cold blooded killing of a begging and crawling young man.

Insane... I'm not sure if the video makes me sicker, or defence of the 'justifiable' shooting.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 12-09-2017 at 07:14 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #42
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Wow... I don't know how anyone can watch that and condone it. If it's the 'way its done', then that way needs to be changed. That was a cold blooded killing of a begging and crawling young man.

Insane.
For what it's worth I believe FlamesGimp overwhelmingly supports police in all controversial shootings when they come up on CP.

I could be wrong, not trying to put anything on him that isn't there, but he's generally an automatic "he had it coming/criminals are the worst and deserve anything they get" guy, from what I recall.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #43
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wow that was brutal to watch.. I am sorry they got it wrong no way that was justifiable. They were just waiting for a reason to pull the trigger.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #44
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I would like to hear a reasonable explanation for why this was not done, if there is one.
The only thing I can think of is that they wanted to move him further away from the door he exited from as they were not certain that there nobody else was in the room... That's the only remotely reasonable thing I can think of.

Entire thing was avoidable and horrific. The officer giving the verbal directions comes across as one big bully who now feels justified in pushing people around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #45
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
umm it was a call for a man with a gun, they have him at gunpoint, he makes a move to the back of his shirt, in what city is it not justifiable to shoot?
My question still stands:

Why is he crawling in the first place? Why not cuff him when he was face down on the ground?

He's face down, then he's up and got his hands up, then he has to crawl, then when he pulls his shorts up while he's crawling he's dead.

I really can't believe that was the best way to handle that situation.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #46
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Yep, cuff him while he was on the ground and nobody dies. Power trip.
Quote:
I would like to hear a reasonable explanation for why this was not done, if there is one.
I'm going to guess that they didn't want to go to the suspect in this case because he was laying right in front of the hotel room door he had just exited, and for all they knew there was one or more armed suspects still in the room who could or would ambush them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #47
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

That must be it. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #48
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was awful to watch, it looks like he had kids from the news picture. with the video being released I can't imagine what his family is going through having to watch a video of your dad's death or hearing about it from kids at school just isn't right.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #49
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I'm obviously not a cop, but I do watch a lot of police chase and arrest videos. What they usually do if they want someone to move to a better location for the arrest is have the guy stand, lock his hands behind his head, and walk backwards towards them.

The cop barking commands bothers me as much as the shooter. He wasn't clear with his instructions, and his comments about shooting the suspect became a self-fulfilling prophecy. I bet he made the guy crawl just to humiilate him. Cops have a hard job, especially in America where so many people are armed, but these guys made no attempt to de-escalate the situation and should never wear a badge again.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #50
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
My question still stands:

Why is he crawling in the first place? Why not cuff him when he was face down on the ground?

He's face down, then he's up and got his hands up, then he has to crawl, then when he pulls his shorts up while he's crawling he's dead.

I really can't believe that was the best way to handle that situation.
I've seen a lot of police shootings where they are even very careful approaching a suspect after shooting. In this incident they weren't able to clear the room maybe? so safer to have him come to him.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #51
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

people defending this execution disgust me. and i truly mean that. if you find a way to defend the officer here i think you are a morally reprehensible person.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #52
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I read that the suspect's shorts were falling down and it looked in the video like that caused him to fall forward a bit. Then he reached down to pull his shorts up. Reaching for your waste band is what you might do if you were carrying a gun. So psycho cop shot him and a jury believed it was justified.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #53
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
people defending this execution disgust me. and i truly mean that. if you find a way to defend the officer here i think you are a morally reprehensible person.
Psychopathic basically. No compassion, no empathy. No intelligence either.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #54
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, this is what I don't understand. The cop was able to react pretty quickly to that small movement that Shaver made, so why not just wait a moment longer and see what exactly he is about to do; if he starts to pull something out, then shoot him. It's not like this cop had a problem with his reaction time.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #55
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know the family is suing the City of Mesa... wondering if they can also sue the murderous officer directly? At least if he was completely financially ruined that would be a small modicum of justice. To think he gets to walk away from this is terrible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #56
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is also a big reason why people in America have a lot less respects for cops than they do here in Canada. There's a lot of good cops out there, but the wild cowboys here calls into the reputation of all police there.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #57
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I know the family is suing the City of Mesa... wondering if they can also sue the murderous officer directly? At least if he was completely financially ruined that would be a small modicum of justice. To think he gets to walk away from this is terrible.
Daniel Shaver's parents are suing the City of Mesa, Phillip Brailsford, and Charles Langley (Brailsford's commanding officer at the time)

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.go...=CV2017-090318
Old 12-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #58
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Daniel Shaver's parents are suing the City of Mesa, Phillip Brailsford, and Charles Langley (Brailsford's commanding officer at the time)

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.go...=CV2017-090318
Excellent, ty.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #59
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So, this is what I don't understand. The cop was able to react pretty quickly to that small movement that Shaver made, so why not just wait a moment longer and see what exactly he is about to do; if he starts to pull something out, then shoot him. It's not like this cop had a problem with his reaction time.

supposed to wait and see what in the hand? what
Old 12-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #60
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'm blown away at the amount of people surprised by this. Guns drawn on you if you make reaching motions with your hand there's a chance you could be shot, no?