Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #41
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I disagree, its not his goal-scoring that we need, this team needs someone to grab it by the nose and wake them the the hell up and Hathaway is the answer to that issue.

Hathaway is up? Good news Flames. Bad news for everyone else.
Agreed. I don't care about his lack of offence. Everytime the guy has been in the lineup, he's usually an impact players. Not a Gaudreau game breaker, but he's in the opposition's face and he brings emotion. The team needs that now more then ever.

Always been a big fan of his and I never understood why he wasn't with the team more often, especially against Anaheim in the playoffs last season. He always brings energy and gives a much needed boost.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #42
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hathaway's in, Flames win.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #43
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tkachuk - Jankowski - Hathaway

Please!
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #44
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Hathaway

Please!
I'd prefer to let our skill players play with other skill players. Hathaway is an grit/energy guy, and putting him in a place where he can focus on that type of game is best for him, and best for the team, in my opinion.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #45
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hathaway has been pretty underwhelming when called up in the past. I probably would have preferred Mangiapane for maybe a Paul Byron-type infusion of speed, but I guess it might be best for Mangiapane to stay in the AHL for now.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #46
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

My only disappointment is that they didn't call up more than one player. This team could use 2 or 3 guys inserted into the lineup.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #47
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I get that it's not logistically realistic, but I would love to see how our Stockton first line would do in comparison our quite bad NHL fourth line.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #48
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If it was only that easy every team would call up a hard nosed grinder when they ran into scoring issues. Like I said he doesn't hurt but he's not the solution to the team's woes.
I disagree. A little emotion is exactly what this team needs. Hathaway can impact this team in that regards and drag the rest of the group with him. It’s infectious.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #49
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He hits. And no one else on the team is doing much of that these days. They'll take it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #50
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I haven't seen Stockton play at all this season. I haven't been all that impressed with Hathaway in recent stints as he seemed more comfortable and less Tasmanian Devil in the way he was approaching games.

With that said the guy is a point per game player in an increasing sample size in the AHL this year, when he was much less than that production wise in the previous couple of seasons.

Maybe he's found his hands to some degree.

Not expecting a top six player ever, but decent hands on the fourth line would be a step up.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:25 AM   #51
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Not expecting a top six player ever, but decent hands on the fourth line would be a step up.
I don't see that as the problem recently.

Stajan has good hands for a 4th liner, Versteeg has good hands period. Even Brouwer has okay hands for a 4th liner. Their problems are elsewhere.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #52
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Hathaway is a better hockey player than the following guys:

• Stajan
  • F Hamilton
  • Lazar
And he might outpace Brouwer.

I hope he plays like he can and stays. This team, even during their hot stretch of 7-2-1, has shown many areas where they need to improve. Hopefully the callup is a step in the right direction of at least fixing the fourth line.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #53
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully he shows the energy he did in preseason.

And hopefully more then our supposed current energy guys in Lazar (Cameron’s project) and F Hamiltion(D Hamilton’s security blanket) are showing.

Though Versteeg not on the PP will break some of that momentum the top line did. Not sure you’d have any other forward play st the point.

Last edited by browna; 11-29-2017 at 11:35 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #54
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it was only that easy every team would call up a hard nosed grinder when they ran into scoring issues. Like I said he doesn't hurt but he's not the solution to the team's woes.
I don't disagree, he ain't gonna solve any of the depth scoring issues this team has.

I really don't think many teams in the NHL can count on their 4th line to do much scoring anyways. The problem is that good teams, perhaps most teams, can rely on being able to send out their 4th line to provide some energy, some zone time, and generally just a break for the other lines, while not losing momentum. The flames 4th line seems like it has no clue on what they should be doing, and are usually a possession and scoring chance against disaster. The reason for that in my opinion is personnel: versteeg, brouwer, stajan are not grit energy guys. Versteeg's a skill player, and brouwer/stajan are depth skill players with subpar skill/speed/etc.

By getting in a guy like Hathaway, and pairing him with guys like Lazar, i hope they can find an identity of a true 4th line (dump, hit, forecheck, cycle, line change, repeat).

It's a minor change, i minor cog to the wheel that is this team, but the 4th line remains more a liability every time they hit the ice. if this subtle change can least close the gap on that, it's a small improvement to one of the items plaguing this team.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #55
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time for the Flames to go all in with new energy from the AHL.

Bartkowski, Stajan, Hamilton, all need to go on waivers and be sent to the AHL.

Get more energy and youth into the bottom 6, reward the guys playing well in the AHL.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Bennett- Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Jagr
Mangiapane-Hrivik -Hathaway

Extras: Lazar, Brouwer
IR: Versteeg
AHL: Stajan, Hamilton

Same thing on defense - Kulak has been fine but it's clear Andersson is ready for the NHL.

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Hamonic - Andersson

Extras: Kulak
AHL: Bartkowski

No more excuses for the bottom 6, and the defensive pairings. They have had 20+ games to figure it out, and it hasn't happened. Shake it up a bit.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #56
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His addition doesn't hurt but he's not the answer to the team's issues as after all he has scored one goal in 41 career NHL games.
He's lighting it up in the AHL. Maybe he'll be able to score a couple with us.

This is good because if he plays well, that means less Stajan and Brouwer.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #57
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I would have loved to see Mangiapane - especially if Jagr is out next game still too.

If it is going to be Hathaway though I would love to see this lineup for a game.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Jagr
Hathaway - Lazar - Brouwer
I can't fathom in what universe it would make sense to promote Bennett to the second line? The only players that have been worse than him are being scratched almost every night. He's got the reverse Midas touch where everything near him turns to poo.

Bench him for a week or two and then sending him down on a conditioning stint would be my treatment for crusty old Sam at this point.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #58
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I can't fathom in what universe it would make sense to promote Bennett to the second line? The only players that have been worse than him are being scratched almost every night. He's got the reverse Midas touch where everything near him turns to poo.

Bench him for a week or two and then sending him down on a conditioning stint would be my treatment for crusty old Sam at this point.
Well, perhaps it's a compliment to Jankowski that the team is putting their 3rd best playmaking option in tkachuk on his line.

I understand your point. So much for "always earned, yadda yadda yadda" but there are only so many buttons a coach can push to get a player going. I don't see the harm in putting him up with backlund. Furthermore, i'd be excited as hell to see tkachuk who is so good along the boards, and behind the net, to be added to jankowski and jagr's cycle game.

I think it's at least worth a try.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #59
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

By default this will lead to the best lineup this year. Hathaway with Lazat and Brouwer on the 4th line. Stajan and Freddie Hamilton on bench. The only better lineup would be to send Freddie down and also call Mangiapane.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #60
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Well, perhaps it's a compliment to Jankowski that the team is putting their 3rd best playmaking option in tkachuk on his line.

I understand your point. So much for "always earned, yadda yadda yadda" but there are only so many buttons a coach can push to get a player going. I don't see the harm in putting him up with backlund. Furthermore, i'd be excited as hell to see tkachuk who is so good along the boards, and behind the net, to be added to jankowski and jagr's cycle game.

I think it's at least worth a try.
I see the point here, but have an issue with promoting Bennett to the second line. He has not earned that one little bit. I would place him on the fourth line once Versteeg is back. Versteeg to play with Backs and Frolik, Bennett to the 4th just to have him go against the easiest possible matchups and force him to elevate his play, which sadly is looking horrid for his draft status.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote