Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #4701
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
5x5 is the most I'd give Backs. No more than 5 years and no more than 5 mil per. If he wants to stay and he wants to win he'd sign that.
5.75 for 5 is the max in my opinion. I think this could be done as long as we dont trade any more 1st rounders and can count on some entry level contracts in the last 2 years of the contract.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #4702
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

What happens with Backlund is somewhat in his camp right now.

If he says something like 'I don't negotiate during the season', then welcome to Calgary ROR. But I don't think he's that kind of guy. I would assume that the Flames want to sign Backlund sooner rather than later, or else they will have to look at all options.

I could see basically the status quo going forward.

I could also see Hamilton for ROR, and then flipping Backlund to someone (St. Louis?) for a first and third. Treliving has a tonne of options, due to the depth of good players coming up from the 'A'.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #4703
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love Backlund, great 2-way player, great Calgary Flame. I'd be happy to see a 5 year term, at the $5.5M or under AAV.

that being said, i think the flames have to be careful here. He is likely in the middle of his prime, as we speak. Where he's a very good 2-way Center, who gets 40-50 points. As early as the midpoint of that contract, he's likely back to closer to his career average for seasonal points which is ~30pts.

The other question mark is his health. I forgot how the first several seasons of his career, he always got hit with an injury. Touchwood, that appears to be a thing of the past, but does that pattern hold up as he ages.

The latter point aside, since no one can predict those things, will the flames be comfortable paying $5M-$6M a year to a third line Center who can get you 30'ish point a year? Again, ,not suggesting he will absolutely be reduced to a 30 point guy, but i think it has to be considered as a possible (if not probable) outcome.

I think i'm hoping the flames look at the extra cap room coming with the cap going up, and with some money coming off the books (stajan, versteeg, plus more if they decide to waive brouwer) and decide whether they pony up the $5M-$6M for backlund or perhaps look at what's in the market if they added a bit to this dollar value for another forward/center that may be out there.....

Opinion Alert: I think Jankowski could be the flames #2 line center as early as next season. As such, perhaps the flames can fill their #3 line Center needs by getting a pure defensive/fiesty type player a) thru UFA (lars eller, cogliano, letestu??) and leverage the saved funds on filling other holes or, b) perhaps thru a trade as we could look to use one of our Dmen (turris just got traded, henrique just got traded).

A lot of what i wrote is just shooting the 'ish, but i suppose my take is that there are several options on how the flames can treat filling that #2/#3 center position (depending on where they think Jankowski fits in). There is also some flexibility with the Cap and with trade worthy assets they have in their pocket to fill that role. Backlund is definitely a solid option, however, they are not in a desperate enough position to overpay on this.

<now i duck, as i know there's plenty of backlund lovers that will hate this post>
Old 12-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #4704
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

In other news, seems like the Sens are in the market to make a move before xmas...
Quote:
Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch
#Sens will try to make a move before holiday freeze. Lots of calls, lots of interest in the likes of Hoffman, Pageau, Brassard and Ceci. Read below: https://twitter.com/ottawasuncom/status/940205847115976704 …
and then :
Quote:
Bruce Garrioch‏Verified account @SunGarrioch 3m3 minutes ago
Zack Smith says he believes most players were asked for their list for no move or no trade clauses at the end of camp. #Sens
Old 12-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #4705
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
In other news, seems like the Sens are in the market to make a move before xmas...

and then :
[URL="https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch"]
Let's unite the Stone brothers! Mark Stone on the Monahan/Gaudreau line would be deadly.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #4706
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Love Backlund, great 2-way player, great Calgary Flame. I'd be happy to see a 5 year term, at the $5.5M or under AAV.

that being said, i think the flames have to be careful here. He is likely in the middle of his prime, as we speak. Where he's a very good 2-way Center, who gets 40-50 points. As early as the midpoint of that contract, he's likely back to closer to his career average for seasonal points which is ~30pts.

The other question mark is his health. I forgot how the first several seasons of his career, he always got hit with an injury. Touchwood, that appears to be a thing of the past, but does that pattern hold up as he ages.

The latter point aside, since no one can predict those things, will the flames be comfortable paying $5M-$6M a year to a third line Center who can get you 30'ish point a year? Again, ,not suggesting he will absolutely be reduced to a 30 point guy, but i think it has to be considered as a possible (if not probable) outcome.

I think i'm hoping the flames look at the extra cap room coming with the cap going up, and with some money coming off the books (stajan, versteeg, plus more if they decide to waive brouwer) and decide whether they pony up the $5M-$6M for backlund or perhaps look at what's in the market if they added a bit to this dollar value for another forward/center that may be out there.....

Opinion Alert: I think Jankowski could be the flames #2 line center as early as next season. As such, perhaps the flames can fill their #3 line Center needs by getting a pure defensive/fiesty type player a) thru UFA (lars eller, cogliano, letestu??) and leverage the saved funds on filling other holes or, b) perhaps thru a trade as we could look to use one of our Dmen (turris just got traded, henrique just got traded).

A lot of what i wrote is just shooting the 'ish, but i suppose my take is that there are several options on how the flames can treat filling that #2/#3 center position (depending on where they think Jankowski fits in). There is also some flexibility with the Cap and with trade worthy assets they have in their pocket to fill that role. Backlund is definitely a solid option, however, they are not in a desperate enough position to overpay on this.

<now i duck, as i know there's plenty of backlund lovers that will hate this post>
Not that I disagree with anything you say but if the Flames are going to move on from Backlund they will need Janko to be a #2 C this season unless you are treating Backlund as a rental and allow him to walk at the end of the season. Given we have no 1st and the odds of us winning the SC this year are not stellar I would trade him at the deadline to recoup a 1st. Of course the best scenario is he signs for 4-5 years at a reasonable salary.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #4707
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
Let's unite the Stone brothers! Mark Stone on the Monahan/Gaudreau line would be deadly.
That is the one player I can't see them moving unless it was a ridiculous overpayment. If I were them I am asking for Tkachuk in return and possibly more and as much as I covet Stone no thanks.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #4708
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

so Ottawa is blowing it up?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #4709
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Besides Stone, Hoffman too would be a great pickup at the right price. I think our missing piece to the puzzle is a pure sniper
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #4710
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
so Ottawa is blowing it up?
If they can't keep Karlsson, can't see why they wouldn't blow it up. If I am not mistaken, they don't have the deepest prospect pool after trading pieces last year for a push.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #4711
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
If they can't keep Karlsson, can't see why they wouldn't blow it up. If I am not mistaken, they don't have the deepest prospect pool after trading pieces last year for a push.
They do have Thomas Chabot so maybe they feel they could afford to trade Karlsson seeing it doesn't appear the owner will want to pay him market value.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #4712
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Ottawa is truly blowing it up, what a dumb trade on their end for Duchene.

They are better off waiting until 2019's TDL to see where they are at.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #4713
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Duchene could be a good pick up
Old 12-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #4714
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking like a lotto pick for Duchene. Ouch
Old 12-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #4715
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Looking like a lotto pick for Duchene. Ouch
Their 2018 pick is still protected somewhat. If it is a top 10 pick, then the Senators can send their 2019 1st instead. Not sure if that is pre or post lottery.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #4716
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wasn't Ottawa considered a darkhorse playoff contender?

What the heck happened?

I know Turris likely wasn't going to re-sign, but how do they implode like that.

You have to think with Melnyk at the helm, the coach or GM will take the fall for this.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #4717
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Wasn't Ottawa considered a darkhorse playoff contender?

What the heck happened?

I know Turris likely wasn't going to re-sign, but how do they implode like that.

You have to think with Melnyk at the helm, the coach or GM will take the fall for this.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Karlsson is having a crappy year. He covered a lot of sins in the past. Have a look at his ice time in their successful years.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #4718
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Duchene could be a good pick up
Funny as it sounds he might be for the right team.
He didn't forget how to play hockey, he just doesn't seem to be a fit for their style of play, he'd probably be just fine on a different team. Regardless, stupid trade by them though if they are thinking of rebuilding.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #4719
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

They mentioned on Saturday as a bunch of vets that help bind the team left. Turris, Methot, MacArthur etc.Locker rooms are a funny thing.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #4720
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
General manager Jim Rutherford said his evaluation period on the team is coming to an end and he'll soon decide whether or not a move is needed to push the team back towards being a contender.

“We’re coming in to a critical period where we’ll make a decision whether we need to shake things up or not,” Rutherford told Jason Mackey of Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Wednesday.

“We’re good enough to be better than we’re doing. Hopefully that’s the way it goes here in the next little while. If it doesn’t, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that a major trade would come out of this.”

We need more depth at our center ice position, to a point where we can get more production,” Rutherford told The Gazette. “I’d like to see if we could get more balance, more production out of our forward lines. We’ve got some guys here who are capable of producing more. At this point, it hasn’t happened. That may be the area we look at.”
https://www.tsn.ca/rumour-mill-major...rizon-1.943527