Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #221
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

What is the unlimited US add on? Like Calgary14 said and unlimited texting to the US? Or something else like unlimited data when travelling there.
(One can dream...)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #222
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know if there is an unlimited US add-on, but I was referring to the base plan (the SK one) that includes unlimited texting (of which US texting is included). When travelling to the US I just use Roam because they're way cheaper
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #223
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
What is the unlimited US add on? Like Calgary14 said and unlimited texting to the US? Or something else like unlimited data when travelling there.
(One can dream...)
It's unlimited calling and texting to the US for $10 a month. I didn't know that the plan includes US texting already.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #224
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I don't know if there is an unlimited US add-on, but I was referring to the base plan (the SK one) that includes unlimited texting (of which US texting is included). When travelling to the US I just use Roam because they're way cheaper
You dont change any settings or purchase any plans on your SK plan before US roaming?
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #225
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
You dont change any settings or purchase any plans on your SK plan before US roaming?
Oh I meant Roam Mobility, its a separate company that offers roaming plans for cheaper. I have a Roam Mobility sim I use when in the US, nice thing is you can schedule the plan to start at a specific time/day which is handy when flying down there. When I'm on a flight to the US I'll pop out the koodo sim and put the Roam sim in, then when I land in the US I'll turn the phone on and it shows Roam as the cell provider. I got my Roam Mobility sim card at a local pharmacy and all set up is done online. Details here: https://roammobility.com/plans

Last edited by Calgary14; 03-05-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #226
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone know if you can still do this or has done it recently? I have to get my mom a phone cause she is always going over her minutes and has trouble paying her bills and has burned bridges with every phone company on the planet so she is stuck with pay as you go crap. Just curious if it can still be done? Thanks guys
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #227
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

We did it in April, but we did go through cellphoneman.ca
If I had to do it again, I'd just do it myself. I thought cellphoneman actually worked for Koodo, but he's just going through the same steps.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 01:01 AM   #228
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Does anyone know if you can still do this or has done it recently? I have to get my mom a phone cause she is always going over her minutes and has trouble paying her bills and has burned bridges with every phone company on the planet so she is stuck with pay as you go crap. Just curious if it can still be done? Thanks guys

I am not sure if this is an option for you but Freedom Mobile offers plans that actually beat this one. They also offer the pay as you go feature and you can top up in store or online.

Check out the coverage map though. I have been with Freedom/ Wind for 5 years with just very minor issues that got resolved quickly.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #229
coop3422
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I actually signed up for freedom mobile last week as I had a coupon for an extra 35% off. Got an s8, but the coverage just doesn't work for me so it's going back. Think I'm going to try this with koodo as I've been paying $90/mo with bell.

I do have a question though; can you use the tab to get a phone, then still do the number port yourself afterward? I saw the op said you had to bring your own phone, so thought I'd ask.
coop3422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:22 AM   #230
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop3422 View Post
I do have a question though; can you use the tab to get a phone, then still do the number port yourself afterward? I saw the op said you had to bring your own phone, so thought I'd ask.
There shouldn't be a problem; though nowadays the process of changing to an out-of-province # only works with Quebec plans.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:34 AM   #231
coop3422
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
There shouldn't be a problem; though nowadays the process of changing to an out-of-province # only works with Quebec plans.
So the SK plan can no longer have an AB number ported in? I saw some earlier mention the loophole was closed, but wasn't sure if that was still the case.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:41 AM   #232
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So the SK plan can no longer have an AB number ported in? I saw some earlier mention the loophole was closed, but wasn't sure if that was still the case.
Yes, or more accurately even if you have a SK/MB phone # you can't switch to the good SK/MB plan using self-serve. The only option left is the QC plans, which is actually a bit better at $46/5GB and supports Tab Large.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:43 AM   #233
coop3422
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, or more accurately even if you have a SK/MB phone # you can't switch to the good SK/MB plan using self-serve. The only option left is the QC plans, which is actually a bit better at $46/5GB and supports Tab Large.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is the only way to get that SK plan now to get in from a dealer in SK?
Old 07-06-2017, 12:45 AM   #234
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Is the only way to get that SK plan now to get in from a dealer in SK?
I think that's the only way now; where you sign up and get a SK # and the plan right at the same time.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:47 AM   #235
coop3422
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that's the only way now; where you sign up and get a SK # and the plan right at the same time.
Hmm, does anyone know if it's still possible to port an AB number in afterward if you get the SK plan in SK? I ask because I go there regularly, especially in the summer as my gfs parents have a farm there. We were there this weekend, but the Koodo in moose jaw was out of the S8, so we didn't go to town. But we're going back in 2 weeks for a wedding.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:52 AM   #236
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm, does anyone know if it's still possible to port an AB number in afterward if you get the SK plan in SK? I ask because I go there regularly, especially in the summer as my gfs parents have a farm there. We were there this weekend, but the Koodo in moose jaw was out of the S8, so we didn't go to town. But we're going back in 2 weeks for a wedding.
Porting remains perfectly fine as before.
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #237
coop3422
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Porting remains perfectly fine as before.
Great, I'll keep this in mind and may do this when I'm in moose jaw in a couple weeks.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #238
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like Koodo changed the rules on phone upgrades via their Tab plans (small, medium,large) so that you have to have a minimum 74$ a month plan to take advantage of them. This puts anyone with these 50/55 dollar plans out of luck. Has anyone found a way to get around this. I'd like to upgrade my phone but can't afford to buy one outright at this time.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #239
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Looks like Koodo changed the rules on phone upgrades via their Tab plans (small, medium,large) so that you have to have a minimum 74$ a month plan to take advantage of them.
You should still be able to use a small or medium tab, regardless of plan cost. Though, Koodo does typically provide a bigger discount for the large tab on the nicer phones.

Quote:
This puts anyone with these 50/55 dollar plans out of luck. Has anyone found a way to get around this. I'd like to upgrade my phone but can't afford to buy one outright at this time.
The workaround would be to setup a new account with a Tab Large, then do a similar process to switch to the Quebec Tab Large plan, which is $54/7GB.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #240
TnT~55
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Has anybody changed their SIM Card after getting this plan? When I got the $55 sk plan the phone I had used a micro, and I've now bought a OP5T which has a nano. Is there any risk of me being kicked off the plan if I go to the Koodo to get a new sim?

Last edited by TnT~55; 11-23-2017 at 09:48 AM.
TnT~55 is offline   Reply With Quote