Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #801
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

What a terrible way to go.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #802
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
What a terrible way to go.
Indeed. Can only hope that the majority were out in an instant so they didn't have a chance to realize what was going on.
Language is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #803
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #804
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Demonstration of what a Buk does to the cockpit of an IL-86 cargo plane.

rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rayne008 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #805
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like investigative journalists Bellingcat have identified the Russian soldiers responsible for shooting down the Malaysian airliner MH17. They have even identified which specific mechanized anti-aircraft unit of the Russian military the launcher came from.

Quote:
The Bellingcat report paints a picture of up to 100 Russian soldiers and officers who it says could have known about or been involved in the plane’s downing on 17 July 2014, at the height of the conflict between Ukrainian forces and Russia-backed separatists. All 298 people on board died in the crash.

Drawing on open source data such as soldiers’ social network photos, an online forum for soldiers’ relatives and Google Earth satellite imagery, the report expands on previous Bellingcat findings to argue that a Buk missile belonging to the 2nd battalion of Russia’s 53rd anti-aircraft missile brigade likely shot down the Boeing 777.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201..._b-aplnews_d-1

Report is incredibly thorough and identifies soldiers from social media posts and unit attachment
https://www.bellingcat.com/wp-conten...ort-public.pdf

Report identifying launcher used
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-a...investigation/

Last edited by FlameOn; 02-25-2016 at 12:21 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #806
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Looks like investigative journalists Bellingcat have identified the Russian soldiers responsible for shooting down the Malaysian airliner MH17. They have even identified which specific mechanized anti-aircraft unit of the Russian military the launcher came from.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201..._b-aplnews_d-1

Report is incredibly thorough and identifies soldiers from social media posts and unit attachment
https://www.bellingcat.com/wp-conten...ort-public.pdf

Report identifying launcher used
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-a...investigation/
zero surprises given

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #807
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hogwash

signed. Putan
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #808
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
zero surprises given
Absolutely - everyone knows exactly what went down here. Russia and their media will continue to deny this obviously. In the end, doesn't really matter. What matters is those poor people who had nothing to do with this conflict lost their lives in the most inexplicable manner.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #809
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mostly confirms the original Bellingcat findings, but don't actually blame Russia

Quote:
International prosecutors investigating the downing of flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine in 2014 say the missile that hit the plane was fired from territory controlled by Russian-backed rebels.

They said the missile launcher was brought into Ukraine from Russia and later returned there.

All 298 people on board the Boeing 777 died when it broke apart in midair flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

Prosecutors said they were not accusing Russia of involvement.

They said there were 100 people "linked to the crash or the transport of the Buk" missile, but they are yet to determine who could be held criminally responsible.

There is a need to establish who gave the order to move the missile launcher into eastern Ukraine, and where the order for it to be fired came from, investigators said.

Russia has disputed claims that the missile was fired by rebels in eastern Ukraine.

The Dutch-led Joint Investigation Team (JIT) consists of prosecutors from the Netherlands, Australia, Belgium, Malaysia and Ukraine.

They have narrowed the missile launch site down to a specific field near the village of Pervomaiskyi.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37495067?SThisFB
Old 09-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #810
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This still makes my blood boil. Such a sad tragedy for those on the flight.

And no one involved will be brought to justice.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:49 AM   #811
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Language View Post
This still makes my blood boil. Such a sad tragedy for those on the flight.

And no one involved will be brought to justice.
That's pretty typical of military shoot downs of civilian airliners, even for far more blatant ones like KAL007 or Iran 655.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #812
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Investigative journalists Bellingcat have identified the voice of the Russian colonel who ordered the missile fired at Malaysia flight MH17 through intercepted phone conversations. Russian colonel threatens to sue journalists... lol.

Quote:
A joint investigation between The Insider and Bellingcat used open source research, investigative journalism, and forensic voice analysis to determine the identity of “Delfin,” a key figure sought by the Joint Investigation Team (JIT), the Dutch-led criminal investigation into the downing of Malaysian Airlines Flight 17 (MH17). The investigation has identified, to a high degree of certainty, Delfin as Colonel General Nikolai Fedorovich Tkachev, currently serving as the Chief Inspector of the Central Military District of the Russian Federation.
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-a...eneral-delfin/

Timeline summary of the incident based on various reports including intercepted voice conversations

Last edited by FlameOn; 12-10-2017 at 10:57 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 01:11 AM   #813
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russia

Nothing will come of this at all, especially with Trump in the WH
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #814
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Investigative journalists Bellingcat have identified the voice of the Russian colonel who ordered the missile fired at Malaysia flight MH17 through intercepted phone conversations. Russian colonel threatens to sue journalists... lol.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-a...eneral-delfin/

Timeline summary of the incident based on various reports including intercepted voice conversations
That man was born at 1949 and from what I could collect from the article, his role in the downing of Boeing is "not clear". While I am open to the idea that it was Russians who did it, I struggle to comprehend it was a cold-blooded order by a 65 years old retired general. That man, as pee wikipedia, was not a tactical commander, but rather advisor/inspector type.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #815
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the Russians or separatists ever intended to bring down a passenger jet. It was an accident, but they've also never taken responsibility for it, when it was clearly their missile that killed 300 people.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #816
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I don't think the Russians or separatists ever intended to bring down a passenger jet. It was an accident, but they've also never taken responsibility for it, when it was clearly their missile that killed 300 people.
Is my sarcasm meter broken? How do you accidentally shoot a missile at an airplane? I mean, the naked eye can see the difference between a fighter jet and a passenger jet from the ground, in case all their other fancy equipment was broken.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #817
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

They thought it was a military transport and these anti aircraft system far outrange the naked eye. They were incompetent, what's to be gained by shooting down a random passenger plane?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #818
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Is my sarcasm meter broken? How do you accidentally shoot a missile at an airplane? I mean, the naked eye can see the difference between a fighter jet and a passenger jet from the ground, in case all their other fancy equipment was broken.
Military cargo and transport planes really don't look all that different from passenger planes.

Military transport planes:

This was a Ukrainian military transport plane that was shot down in 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrain...-76_shoot-down
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 12-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #819
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
They thought it was a military transport and these anti aircraft system far outrange the naked eye. They were incompetent, what's to be gained by shooting down a random passenger plane?
My apologies. I suppose if I had read up on it, I wouldn't have assumed that you meant that they looked up, and then fired. You get to punch me in the shoulder, once.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2017, 03:29 AM   #820
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Military cargo and transport planes really don't look all that different from passenger planes.

Military transport planes:

This was a Ukrainian military transport plane that was shot down in 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrain...-76_shoot-down
These missile systems also pair up with ATC radar to read the transponders of civilian or military aircraft(friend or foe)

It must have been an absolute idiot that pulled the trigger that day if he didn't check what he was shooting at. one can only hope the images of the 298 people he murdered haunts him forever.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote