Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #1321
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

jeeze how did monitors come down in price so fast...i bought my gateway 21" when it first came out about 1.5-2 years ago and it was like $700.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #1322
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys, I have made and enormous blunder…I have spilt tea on the keyboard of my girlfriends brand new Mac Book, there wasn’t much spilt but since the incident it has been acting some what funny programs just running slower...what amount of water would make this a problem? And if there is a problem is there any suggestion for a good place for repair? Thank a bunch
Old 11-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #1323
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bronze View Post
See my post above, I'm also having problems with iTunes. I did a complete format of my hard drive tonight and downloaded the file and when I went to do a fresh install I got the exact same error message as the one I posted above. There must be a problem with the current file they have available. It seems to be missing files.
I went back iTunes 7.4 and its working again
Old 11-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #1324
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am having some problems with the sound on my computer. I recently deleted a bunch of old programs from my computer, and now I can't get any sound.

In the Device Manager, under "Other Devices", "Multimedia Audio Controller" is listed with an exclamation mark next to it. I have tried removing this and running "Add Hardware" from the Control Panel. Windows says that it is able to locate New Hardware, but after running the wizard it says that it cannot find the necessary software. I have a Windows Backup disc from MDG in the CD-ROM while doing this.

Does anybody have an idea what is wrong here?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #1325
TheCommodoreAfro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone here know how to convert img files to avi files? I'm looking for something reliable to do this.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #1326
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
I went back iTunes 7.4 and its working again
There is a problem with the current version of iTunes. What you have to do is run the install as it is and then uninstall all your quicktime programming and then get the quicktime 7.2 download and do it seperately. Mine is working now after doing this. There is a help section on the Apple website and they are discussing it in their forums.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #1327
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
I am having some problems with the sound on my computer. I recently deleted a bunch of old programs from my computer, and now I can't get any sound.

In the Device Manager, under "Other Devices", "Multimedia Audio Controller" is listed with an exclamation mark next to it. I have tried removing this and running "Add Hardware" from the Control Panel. Windows says that it is able to locate New Hardware, but after running the wizard it says that it cannot find the necessary software. I have a Windows Backup disc from MDG in the CD-ROM while doing this.

Does anybody have an idea what is wrong here?
The drivers you are looking for may not be on the backup disk. I am assuming you are using onboard sound? What you are looking for is likely on your motherboards driver disk. The files you deleted sound a lot like soundcard drivers.

If you are using a dedicated sound card, try d/l the drivers from the companies website.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:32 AM   #1328
Ayrahb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommodoreAfro View Post
Anyone here know how to convert img files to avi files? I'm looking for something reliable to do this.
Are you referring to the disk image files (.img)?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #1329
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Hey guys, I have made and enormous blunder…I have spilt tea on the keyboard of my girlfriends brand new Mac Book, there wasn’t much spilt but since the incident it has been acting some what funny programs just running slower...what amount of water would make this a problem? And if there is a problem is there any suggestion for a good place for repair? Thank a bunch
Tea should not affect your system performance at all, it may be your imagination or something in software. Liquids into electronics is usually fine if it is given time to dry. The problems with keyboards is that the liquids can seep into areas which don't dry and it may short out contacts between metal traces.

Usually, there's nothing that can be done to repair such things unless you take your own system apart (there's nobody out there that does this as far as I know) and try to air-dry all the components yourself. I did this myself with a laptop, I took out the keyboard, dissassembled it, rinsed it with warm soapy water in my bathtub, let parts dry, etc. put it back together.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:26 AM   #1330
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

-edit

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-20-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #1331
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default Harddrive just fried

Well, one horrible thing that you hear about all the time but don't actually imagine happening to your data just happened to me. My Vantec NexStar 3 enclosure just fried my harddrive. It's been in there for a few weeks without issues. Tonight, I smelled something smoking, drive won't turn on. I open it up to an awful stench, looks like maybe a voltage regulator or something on the actual Seagate ST3200822A has burned out and is cracked. Can anybody identify what this component is? You can actually see the residue left on the drive cage.

Any suggestions on what I should do at this point? Will I be able to swap circuit boards with another similar drive from the line or do I need a circuit board from the exact same model of 200GB 7200.7 Seagate HDD? I'm definitely not using the enclosure again (maybe with some dead drives from my 486 to test it out). What are my chances for data recovery? This is making me quite upset. Could I use a board from my friend's similar 160GB Seagate of the same line? Model number is slightly different but it's also a 7200.7 drive. Is there any soldering required to remove the circuit board or replace it?

Does anybody here have this model of drive or know where I could get one? I guess I'll try ebay but it would be nice to have one I could get locally soon, I'm quite anxious to see if I can save my data.

I know recovery places usually charge thousands of dollars. Does anybody have experience with any locally in Calgary?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #1332
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Are you sure it was the enclosure that fried the hard drive?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #1333
moeman
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have the same enclosure and it gets really hot if you leave it closed up. No fan to cool it down, so things can get pretty toasty in there. I use mine sparingly to back things up and never close it up completely to avoid overheating issues.

Not sure if that's what happened here, but it looks like something overheated and popped.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #1334
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can try a new board. Just by the size and shape that looks like a voltage regulator, although manufacturers can make almost anything into any package, so that is just an educated guess.

I've never dismantled a drive to look at the board, but if you can do it I would try to just replace the whole board. You don't know if anything else went bad when that component blew.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #1335
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
The drivers you are looking for may not be on the backup disk. I am assuming you are using onboard sound? What you are looking for is likely on your motherboards driver disk. The files you deleted sound a lot like soundcard drivers.

If you are using a dedicated sound card, try d/l the drivers from the companies website.

Thanks a ton, finally got audio back on my computer, just took me a while to figure out what soundcard I had.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #1336
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I pried off the component with pliers. The drive works again. ^_^
Old 11-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #1337
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I pried off the component with pliers. The drive works again. ^_^
Yanking the fried component off the board made it work? Interesting...

And kinda scary. hehe
Old 11-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #1338
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm trying to do tech support for a friend over the phone. He has a 500GB Maxtor drive with two partitions C: and D:

He tried to format and reinstall Windows but made the mistake of using a pre-SP1 Windows XP disc and therefore, it only read the harddrive as 137GB. That's fine and all, but he claims he did not actually go through and format it and he quit the installer because he realized his mistake. Out of curiosity. he plugged it into a SATA-USB adapter into his laptop and he found it only reported 1 partition and again, 137GB. He attempted using chkdsk from his laptop and it reported that it was raw drive.

He's certain he didn't advance with the Windows install disc and he has no idea why the drive is stuck as 137GB, any ideas? He put it internally into another computer and it shows as not formatted! Any ideas why this would be so or what recovery tools we could use? We need to recover the data from that drive quite urgently.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-22-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #1339
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

He want past the spot that sets up the partitions, so he has already altered the MBR.

Perhaps an FDISK /MBR would help? (but is highly risky)
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #1340
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
He want past the spot that sets up the partitions, so he has already altered the MBR.

Perhaps an FDISK /MBR would help? (but is highly risky)
No, he didn't go past the section that shows you the partitions, he quit as soon as the first screen popped up asking if he wanted to overwrite the partition or make a new one. He saw that it came up as 137GB instead of 500GB so he quit immediately.

Is it already too late by this step? That's somewhat ridiculous. I've gone into that part many times to check things out and didn't go through with it and my drive still booted properly into Windows with all my data unaltered. Then again, I was using an SP2 CD.
Closed Thread